Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

Bass as back-up center?

Hickson plays next to Lebron and Jamison, who are both quality rebounders.

Al Horford averages 10 rebounds per 36, and is playing next to Josh Smith/Joe Smith, who both average 9 per36.

Brandon Bass averages 7.2 per36, and would be playing in a second unit that doesn't rebound well.

This is a horrible, horrible idea.

i hate this idea. when dwight gets in early foul trouble and has to sit for long periods, gortat does well as his replacement. however, i do not think bass can hold up the fort for long periods against the starting centers of this league, even some of the ones that aren't that great. that is why otis values gortat so highly and pays him $$$$$$$$.

by the way, AnotherCavsFan, you post way too much on this forum to not be a magic fan

quote:
Originally posted by optics:

I like Bass as a player but lets be honest .. he just doesnt fit our system @ all. When we first picked him up I thought we would incorporate him to be our big at PF and let Rashard go back to the 3 .. but Stan would rather have 4 other plays stand at the perimeter and let Howard try to grab every rebound possible. My question is .. why use Bass to match up with other teams? Why dont we use him out there at the 4 and let other teams "match up" with us?? Hmmm .. food for thought

Bass is a decent low post sorer. Even better than Gortat IMO. If he plays center, then we can surround him with shooters like we do with Dwight.

C-Bass

Pf-Ryan

SF-Pietrus

SG-Redick

PG-J-Will

That's a decent second unit

quote:

I like Bass as a player but lets be honest .. he just doesnt fit our system @ all. When we first picked him up I thought we would incorporate him to be our big at PF and let Rashard go back to the 3 .. but Stan would rather have 4 other plays stand at the perimeter and let Howard try to grab every rebound possible. My question is .. why use Bass to match up with other teams? Why dont we use him out there at the 4 and let other teams "match up" with us?? Hmmm .. food for thought

Using Bass at the 4 is matching up with other teams. He's not a good scorer, and he's a decent rebounder. What makes the Magic as good as they are is their style of play. 4 guys around the perimeter and Howard in the middle. With Bass in with Howard, it changes their landscape as a team.

This is JMO, I don't know the Magic that well, but that's what it seems to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Al Horford averages 10 rebounds per 36, and is playing next to Josh Smith/Joe Smith, who both average 9 per36.

Brandon Bass averages 7.2 per36, and would be playing in a second unit that doesn't rebound well.

i dont think it would be if we played him with barnes. Just because he plays on the second unit doesn't mean we need to do an entire line change and play all the backups at once.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

i dont think it would be if we played him with barnes. Just because he plays on the second unit doesn't mean we need to do an entire line change and play all the backups at once.

You're still going to be running a unit that will constantly be outrebounded badly.

Our whole system is largely predicated on Dwight being able to rebound like 2 players. In the second unit, that becomes an issue because Warlock, while a very good rebounder, isn't Dwight, and as such we're already running a team that gets beat on the boards a good amount of the time when Dwight is out of the game.

Replace Gortat with a mediocre rebounding power forward playing center, and we'll get destroyed.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

quote:

Using Bass at the 4 is matching up with other teams. He's not a good scorer, and he's a decent rebounder. What makes the Magic as good as they are is their style of play. 4 guys around the perimeter and Howard in the middle. With Bass in with Howard, it changes their landscape as a team.

I see what you mean .. but come on really? Barnes has no business standing at the 3 point line. He only became trigger happy with the 3's because he joined the magic. My heart stops every time I see him shoot one lol. But I honestly think Magic would be so much stronger with bass starting the 4 .. he has a nice mid range jumpshot and crashes the board. And .. Dwight and Howard out there at the same time .. INTIMIDATION ..

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

quote:

I see what you mean .. but come on really? Barnes has no business standing at the 3 point line. He only became trigger happy with the 3's because he joined the magic. My heart stops every time I see him shoot one lol. But I honestly think Magic would be so much stronger with bass starting the 4 .. he has a nice mid range jumpshot and crashes the board. And .. Dwight and Howard out there at the same time .. INTIMIDATION ..

Correction .. Bass and Howard lol .. sorry

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

Considering that the league is moving away from bigger post players could Brandon Bass thrive ad our full time back-up center if Gortat gets traded? I know he's only 6-8 but he has a wide body and is very aggressive going for rebounds. He played some back up center in Dallas and did well. what do you think?

Looking at the numbers of Bass when he played for the Mav's and Gortat now...

And it would appear that Bass has done a better job than Gortat in the backup role with limited minutes...

And Bass has proven that he can handle the position... even though he is undersized... the guy is a pure beast in terms of strength..

I would even go out and say that Bass is the second strongest guy on the team... although we dont have many big guys...

So I would think that Bass could definitely fill the role Gortat has if or when he is traded.

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're still going to be running a unit that will constantly be outrebounded badly.

Our whole system is largely predicated on Dwight being able to rebound like 2 players. In the second unit, that becomes an issue because Warlock, while a very good rebounder, isn't Dwight, and as such we're already running a team that gets beat on the boards a good amount of the time when Dwight is out of the game.

Replace Gortat with a mediocre rebounding power forward playing center, and we'll get destroyed.

I'm not so sure about your doom and gloom scenario. Bass is a solid rebounder, Ryan is a better rebounder than Bass and Shard. Even Peaches is a pretty good rebounder from the wing position.

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

quote:

Considering that the league is moving away from bigger post players could Brandon Bass thrive ad our full time back-up center if Gortat gets traded? I know he's only 6-8 but he has a wide body and is very aggressive going for rebounds. He played some back up center in Dallas and did well. what do you think?

Looking at the numbers of Bass when he played for the Mav's and Gortat now...

And it would appear that Bass has done a better job than Gortat in the backup role with limited minutes...

And Bass has proven that he can handle the position... even though he is undersized... the guy is a pure beast in terms of strength..

I would even go out and say that Bass is the second strongest guy on the team... although we dont have many big guys...

So I would think that Bass could definitely fill the role Gortat has if or when he is traded.

This is my point. He plays his best at back up Center. I see no reason why he couldn't do it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bass is a solid rebounder.

Only if you ignore the statistics that rank him 74th in rebounds per minute for power forwards.