Sign in to follow this  
COLOMBIANO

Agent 0

quote:
Originally posted by BLOCK PARTY:

i was just making a joke. i don't really work there, those are just two of the worst places to bring a gun that i could think of and i am not acting like he pointed the gun at children. i never said that and i never said i wanted arenas to be prosecuted. what i meant by saying that is that arenas basically got no punishment. someone who isn't a star athlete would have gotten a much harsher penalty. i personally don't care how he is punished, i was just making an observation. i understand how arenas is feeling and i wish him the best. i have wanted to do-over certain parts of my life. we all do.

My response wasn't directed at you man. I figured you were joking.

Bigpimatl, You can't punish someone for something that COULD happen. If I remember correctly, the gun wasn't even loaded. So, the whole "what could have happened" argument is kind of silly unless Arenas decided to throw the gun at someone.

CEOs don't exactly live in the spotlight that professional athletes do either. Even if one did get robbed, more than likely we wouldn't hear about it and almost certainly wouldn't remember it. CEOs also don't wear several grand in jewelry around their necks. I know what your next argument is going to be, and it doesn't matter. People have the right to own nice things and should have the right to defend them. I currently don't own a gun but if I was a professional athlete I would own one and you could bet that I would be packing.

People are so scared of guns it makes me sad. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't own a gun.

I wonder if there was "sword control" during the medieval times.

quote:
Originally posted by Svanxx:

People are so scared of guns it makes me sad. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't own a gun.

There weren't sanitation laws either, what's your point?

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

i was just making a joke. i don't really work there, those are just two of the worst places to bring a gun that i could think of and i am not acting like he pointed the gun at children. i never said that and i never said i wanted arenas to be prosecuted. what i meant by saying that is that arenas basically got no punishment. someone who isn't a star athlete would have gotten a much harsher penalty. i personally don't care how he is punished, i was just making an observation. i understand how arenas is feeling and i wish him the best. i have wanted to do-over certain parts of my life. we all do.

Bigpimatl, You can't punish someone for something that COULD happen. If I remember correctly, the gun wasn't even loaded. So, the whole "what could have happened" argument is kind of silly unless Arenas decided to throw the gun at someone.

CEOs don't exactly live in the spotlight that professional athletes do either. Even if one did get robbed, more than likely we wouldn't hear about it and almost certainly wouldn't remember it. CEOs also don't wear several grand in jewelry around their necks. I know what your next argument is going to be, and it doesn't matter. People have the right to own nice things and should have the right to defend them. I currently don't own a gun but if I was a professional athlete I would own one and you could bet that I would be packing.

yes you can punish for something that could happen, attempted robbery, attempted murder, criminal intent, happens all the time. I found this definition from uslegal.com and it states:

"A person can be charged with an attempted crime (such as "attempted robbery" or "attempted murder") even though not all the elements of the underlying crime were completed in order to be found guilty of the actual crime."

so yes, legally you can punish.

And I disagree about CEOs. What's to say that there isn't a following in the corporate world for CEOs, like there is a following for athletes by sports fans? They are in the news, attend conferences, deal with investors, stock rooms, board meetings, all kinds of things. The difference is that CEO's don't usually come from rough backgrounds and more often then not associate themselves with white collar criminals.

CEO's are the ones who buy way more exotic things; it's big businesses and corporations that run the world. The NBA and NFL are just american sports business. I highly doubt athletes even in europe are paid anywhere near the NFL/NBA average.

quote:
Originally posted by Svanxx:

you're not afraid of guns? aren't you fearless? there are brave soldiers with post-traumatic stress disorder that can't even hear the word gun without getting scared. to say it makes you sad that there are people afraid of guns is just ignorant.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

quote:

quote:

yes you can punish for something that could happen, attempted robbery, attempted murder, criminal intent, happens all the time. I found this definition from uslegal.com and it states:

"A person can be charged with an attempted crime (such as "attempted robbery" or "attempted murder") even though not all the elements of the underlying crime were completed in order to be found guilty of the actual crime."

And I disagree about CEOs. What's to say that there isn't a following in the corporate world for CEOs, like there is a following for athletes by sports fans? They are in the news, attend conferences, deal with investors, stock rooms, board meetings, all kinds of things. The difference is that CEO's don't usually come from rough backgrounds and more often then not associate themselves with white collar criminals.

CEO's are the ones who buy way more exotic things; it's big businesses and corporations that run the world. The NBA and NFL are just american sports business. I highly doubt athletes even in europe are paid anywhere near the NFL/NBA average.

What criminal act did Arenas attempt to do? The only thing he is guilty of is possession of a firearm. There is a giant difference between attempting to rob a bank (which if we are honest, the only difference between attempted robbery and robbery is whether its successful) and a guy carrying a unloaded gun. That's the problem with your argument. In attempted murder/robbery cases it must be proven that there was a blatant attempt to commit a crime....which is usually very simple to do. So, I repeat, what crime was Arenas planning to do with a unloaded gun? He certainly wasn't planning on taking out his teammates. There was no intent.

If Arenas were to receive anything more than probation for a misdemeanor it would be entirely due to his fame. I wouldn't have to travel that far down the streets of Washington to find a person carrying a unlicensed firearm.

I see your point.

However, we only know that it's an unloaded gun after the fact. If someone were to pull out a gun in front of you, what would your first reaction be? it wouldn't be whether it's loaded or not [and you sure as hell wouldn't ask/ascertain]. You would think you are being threatened and would reasonably be fearful for your life. this is why it could still be attempted (insert whatever charge here), after all he did point it at someone. This is why he originally received two years of jail time, but the judge weighed in the fact that it was unloaded, and also a properly licensed gun.

add the fact that he was in a public place and it becomes an even bigger issue.

anyway i'm done playing lawyer lol. I think what i disagreed with you on anyway was the whole jail time. I would have liked to see him at least check in for a month or two, and then be done with it.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

quote:

quote:

What criminal act did Arenas attempt to do? The only thing he is guilty of is possession of a firearm. There is a giant difference between attempting to rob a bank (which if we are honest, the only difference between attempted robbery and robbery is whether its successful) and a guy carrying a unloaded gun. That's the problem with your argument. In attempted murder/robbery cases it must be proven that there was a blatant attempt to commit a crime....which is usually very simple to do. So, I repeat, what crime was Arenas planning to do with a unloaded gun? He certainly wasn't planning on taking out his teammates. There was no intent.

If Arenas were to receive anything more than probation for a misdemeanor it would be entirely due to his fame. I wouldn't have to travel that far down the streets of Washington to find a person carrying a unlicensed firearm.

Assualt- the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril.

he also had possession of illegal firearms

quote:

Assualt- the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril.

he also had possession of illegal firearms

ty this is what I was trying to say.

Although I don't think the firearm was illegal; it was registered, however not in DC ie only in Virginia.

lol, so I guess you guys are saying striking fear into someone is a crime and also considered assault...

wow.