quote:
Originally posted by Leoben:

quote:
Originally posted by Popsicle:

quote:
Originally posted by BillFan:

quote:
Originally posted by KandiKane:

Did anyone hear today reggie cleaning Turks ***hole, he couldnt shut up about how Turk is better than carter etc.

I know Reggie is terrible and hates the magic for whatever past reason he wants.... but common Turk > Carter..... pffft... Otis called it and Im glad on that, so many times last year I remember watching turk f-up and not play any defense! cant believe he got one vote for defensive player of the year!

But he did point out that there numbers are nearly identicle this season. Hedos are actually a little bit better. Carter killed his stats in January. If he hadn't, his numbers would be much better than Hedos.

Wrong.

Those were Turks numbers from last season. This season his stats are worse than Carter's.

Last season Turk stats are alomst the same like Carter's from current season. But VC killed it in January and he's playing much more effcient for last 18 games, (over 18 pts and over 50% shooting both from 3s and from the field) he should lift his stats litle more up with games still left to play.

Last year Hedo with Magic and current VC:

Hedo 16.3 pts .416 FG .362 3P .810 FT REB 5.1 AST 4.9 2.7 TO

Vince 16.4 pts .420 FG .359 3P .840 FT REB 4.1 AST 2.9 1.5 TO

Hedo has only one advantage, assist but you pay for two with 1.2 tournover. All other stats alomost the same. Vince gives Barnes in starting lineup so it actually improves rebounding a lot, important thing with "power forward" like Shard in lineup.

Also it improves defense. VC can guard most of the SF (BTW better from Hedo) and Barnes can defend oponnents SG, flexability on SF-SG defense, always having best premieter defender on oponents best premieter scorer, making his life difficult, lesser need for double teaming.

All things that Barnes does are better from what C.Lee or Peaches were giving last year, it's not just about Carter himself, also who and how can play around him.

The white Jordan Hedo post 16 pts per game? WOW I mean WOW thats great numbers!

You also have to remember that last year Hedo played like 37 mpg while Vince is playing 30 mpg. But like others have mentioned, January just destroyed Vince's averages, if not for that month he would have way better numbers than Hedo last yr, especially when you look at it PER 36 minutes.

If VC would have just played mediocre, lets say 42% FG, 38%, 15 ppg, 3 assist in January, 4 boards.

He'd be somewhere around 18 ppg, 44% FG, 3 assists, 4 boards.

That was like all guessing I dont know why I posted that. But It's something to think about, just if he would have been mediocre he woulda had great stats.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

can anyone calculate any average without january?

total:

58 games (59 but one he didn't really start, not bothering with it)

340/809 FG

90/251 3PT

244 rebounds

170 assists

.420 FG%

.359 3P%

January:

14 games

40/141

11/49

38 TRB

31 AST

58-14=44

340-40=300/809-141=668

90-11=79/251-49=202

244-38=206

170-31=139

So, without the month of January, Carter's season average would look like:

44.9% from the field

39.1% from 3

4.7 rebounds

3.1 assists

It's best that Vince got the bad play out of his system rather than going through it towards playoffs (knock on wood).

Let's not dog Hedo.

The truth is, Dwight Howard made him look great. That's the advantage of having the most dominant center in the game. He left and some even predicted that his numbers would drop heavily.

Why are people so stuck with numbers? It would make sense if we are talking about players with similar skill sets and intangibles, but we're not. The fact is Turkoglu brings something completely different than what Carter gives you. Do I think that Carter is still the better basketball player? yea of course, but all these comparisons with numbers is just silly. Carter has been a prolific scorer is whole career, while Turkoglu is anything but a scorer. However, Hedo has a size and length advantage, and so on and so forth.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

And it's not like we're losing in assists (we averaged 19.3 last season and average 19.1 this season) since Nelson and JWill have basically picked it up, relieving us of a sloppy 6'10 who couldn't finish at the rim and loved yelling incoherent things as he pretended to get hit and flail his arms around whilst throwing the ball up in the air hoping the refs call a foul or Howard cleans it up.

Quite possibly the greatest thing i've ever read in my life

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

Why are people so stuck with numbers? It would make sense if we are talking about players with similar skill sets and intangibles, but we're not. The fact is Turkoglu brings something completely different than what Carter gives you. Do I think that Carter is still the better basketball player? yea of course, but all these comparisons with numbers is just silly. Carter has been a prolific scorer is whole career, while Turkoglu is anything but a scorer. However, Hedo has a size and length advantage, and so on and so forth.

Boom.

quote:
Originally posted by Progfrog:

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

Boom.

The only "advantage" Hedo had WAS size and length. Speed, quickness, defense, finishing at the rim, creating his own shot, creating for others, and etc were all things in which we improved by having Jameer back and Carter. Now we can actually exploit teams defensively (using Jameer against the Lakers and Carter against Cavs' Parker or Mo with the 1-2 pnr). Last year, Alston was basically a blackhole offensively and we had to deal with Turk's antics and poor decision making with were strongly overshadowed by his very few accomplishments.

It's exactly like the people calling Kobe an all time great clutch player. Lately, yes. However, throughout his entire career he has posted close to a 29% in game winning shots. Everyone seems to remember the 26 game winning or tying shots, but they seem to forget his 63 misses.

I'd say Turk's only shining moments in the playoffs last year were just his assists and how it seemed he would pass all over the floor; I'm not sure if it was solely because of height but I've never seen Vince do that as much....

yet..