Sign in to follow this  
Frankie Figgs

Dont blame Carlos and Jameer

I think is not fair to judge our point guards based on thier stats. Our style of play is a detriment to any guard because is a post entry pound the ball system with a lot of dribbling and not a lot of shooters. If you compare systems with Phoenix, NJ, Utah, they either get easy transition ofense or they have good shooters. Our team can run more but we dont, and our player combinations sometimes forces or PG to shoot more instead of stablishing anything. We have two good point guards, I dont think there is a lot of teams with this kind of talent but I think that they are not been used to their full talent.

Last game we ran a lot and we just had a sample of how good they can be passing the ball when they have targets and freedom. Jameer had 6 dimes and Arroyo 4 in 15 mins, so I dont think fast breaking cant hurt the team more that the slow down pace has all season..

I think is not fair to judge our point guards based on thier stats. Our style of play is a detriment to any guard because is a post entry pound the ball system with a lot of dribbling and not a lot of shooters. If you compare systems with Phoenix, NJ, Utah, they either get easy transition ofense or they have good shooters. Our team can run more but we dont, and our player combinations sometimes forces or PG to shoot more instead of stablishing anything. We have two good point guards, I dont think there is a lot of teams with this kind of talent but I think that they are not been used to their full talent.

Last game we ran a lot and we just had a sample of how good they can be passing the ball when they have targets and freedom. Jameer had 6 dimes and Arroyo 4 in 15 mins, so I dont think fast breaking cant hurt the team more that the slow down pace has all season..

Basically, this is what a Magic PG does in 98.5% of Brian Hill's offensive schemes:

1. PG brings the ball down the court.

2. PG passes the ball to the shooting guard or small forward.

3. Shooting guard or small forward: a) plays one-on-one and forces a shot B) passes the ball to the center who is already double teamed, so he commits a TO.

4. If none of the plays in point # 3 work, the ball goes back to the PG, who by then only has 8 seconds to take a bail-out decision.

Analysis: Brian Hill's half-court offense is the most appropriate way to minimize any PG skills and effectiveness.

quote:
Originally posted by CG:

Basically, this is what a Magic PG does in 98.5% of Brian Hill's offensive schemes:

3. Shooting guard: a) plays one-on-one and forces a shot B) passes the ball to the center who is already double teamed, so he commits a TO.

4. If none of the plays in point # 3 work, the ball goes back to the PG, who by then only has 8 seconds to take a bail-out decision.

Analysis: Brian Hill's half-court offense is the most appropriate way to minimize any PG skills and effectiveness.

and this is why teams know how to defend us, and this is why Michael said they would not change anything because coach Hill did not adjust his game plan, and this is why we sucky hard right now....

quote:
Originally posted by Frankie Figgs:

Good point Frankie - I think Jameer is a solid guard and could be a whole lot better if BHill were gone and I think Arroyo is a very able backup - again the problem is not Jameer or Arroyo it is BHill and his system of play. It does force the guards to take a lot of outside jump shots and the offense is so predictable. I liked your comments and defense of our point guards.

The only player on our team that I am really disappointed with is Garrity - he should be cut. The one and only problem, aside from Garrity, our main problem is Brian Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by CG:

3. Shooting guard or small forward: a) plays one-on-one and forces a shot B) passes the ball to the center who is already double teamed, so he commits a TO.

agreed again - you don't let Jameer do what he is best at - creating offense in that system and you make him much less effective, you take him out of his game, etc. you all know the etc.