Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Post your Music

I spent years thinking that Horse With No Name was a Neil Young single from that same period of time. I felt somewhat vidicated when I found out it was the number 1 single that immediately followed Young's Heart of Gold, and that there was a pseudo-controvery about how much the song sounded like Neil Young even then.

But yeah, 70s-era Young is just magnificent. Every album from After the Gold Rush through Rust Never Sleeps is completely unassailable(unless you count American Stars 'N Bars as a proper album, which I don't).

I'd be hard-pressed to pick out a favorite Neil Young song from that period. "Cortez the Killer" maybe?

Also: As someone born in 1985, I find it baffling that there was a time when an album like Harvest could be the best selling album of the year.

Yup. Pretty much on the money with Neil here.

Also, oddly enough I was just thinking about some of the artists and albums that reached the top of the charts in that time period, and it truly is staggering. I would assume it's most likely due to who's buying music now, (12 year olds with their parent's credit cards) as opposed to everyone else in the 60s/70s.

And I've always had a thing for The Needle and the Damage Done.