Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Does Stan watch NBATV? (pg.7) Dwight's gettin' the ball tonight!

quote:
Originally posted by random:

No one is taking shots away from Dwight.

In games when Dwights has lower FGa number, its because 2 things are happening:

- his FTA's go up

- his TO's go up

(can someone see what are the actual numbers ? For games under/over 13FGA that are mentioned)

And that's where his FGa's go, its not Vince or anyone else taking them away.

this.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Saw their show today hosted by Rick Kamla and Dennis Scott...they proclaimed it to be their new years' resolution for the Magic.

They provided these stats:

1.) When Dwight attempts 1-12 fg's a game the Magic are 15-8....Dwight averages 16.0 pts. a game and shoots 65.3% from the field.

2.) Dwight has 6 games with 5 or less fg att. and the Magic are 2-4 in those games.

3.) BUT!!! When Dwight has 13+ fg att. a game the Magic are SEVEN AND "0"...Dwight averages 22 pts. a game and shoots 56.3% from the field.

Kamla made the point that even if Dwight doesn't shoot the ball the Magic need to run their offense through him more often, more touches....Dwight needs to get more comfortable on the low block and better at passing out of double teams.

Dwight is only averaging 9 shot attempts a game this year as compared to 12.4 last season...3.4 attempts less this year than last...Kamla brought up the question, "where are Dwight's shot attempts and touches going"?

1.) Hedo had 13.3 shot attempts a game last year.

2.) This year Vince Carter is shooting the ball 16.2 times a game which is like a +3 over Hedo last year.

3.) Dwight is like a negative 3 1/2 from last year's shot attempts.

Kamla said not a perfect correlation but a pretty good indicator of where Dwight's shot attempts are going.

Dennis Scott chimed in, "all of the great centers of the past(he named a bunch) never had 9 shot attempts a game.

He then said with great expression...

"GET DWIGHT HOWARD THE BALL"!!!

Kamlas then said with great expression...

"HOW COULD DWIGHT HOWARD NOT BE A 20-10 GUY"

Scott said, "that's crazy man".

Kamla says bottom line is this...

1.) Dwight shoot more

2.) Vince shoot less

And the Orlando Magic will win a lot more than their current pace.

I have been saying that all year and posted stats a while back. VC is stunting Howards growth which is one of the reasons I hated the move, Hedo is taking even less shots this year. People who say VC should be the primary offensive weapon are complete morons.

quote:
Originally posted by random:

No one is taking shots away from Dwight.

In games when Dwights has lower FGa number, its because 2 things are happening:

- his FTA's go up

- his TO's go up

(can someone see what are the actual numbers ? For games under/over 13FGA that are mentioned)

And that's where his FGa's go, its not Vince or anyone else taking them away.

Dwights FGA should be much higher than what they are, VC requires tons of shots and likes to take them. VC shoots like 40 % and Dwight shoots like 55% or higher. Thats why I didn't like bringing in VC, we would have been much better bringing in a role player who played D and actually hustled and who could bury an open trey, oh yeah we had one, a rookie who helped us get to the finals and made like 13 mil less than VC.

The issue's here are not as simple as some may make it seem. Firstly, do i think Dwight should get more shots, not touches, shots? Yes. It is a travesty that your super star is getting only 9 shots per game. Shaq was fouled more than anyone. Never did he shoot a paltry nine shots a game. It is an indictment on the coach firstly, his team mates secondly and finally himself.

That said, Dwight's offensive struggles were CREATED, yes created by the coaching staff in his first season. Dwight was drafted as the teams future, and while his rebounding and shot blocking were evident, his offense was a work in progress.

The ball as given to Francis on the wing, and Battie or Cato in the post. Dwight was told to do three things. 1) Rebound 2) Block Shots 3) Run the floor. Things ran like that for the length of Francis time with the Magic. Fast forward 6 years later, what are the three things Dwight does extremely well? 1) Rebound 2) Block Shots 3) Run the floor.

There was much debate as to how the Magic were using Dwight early in his career. I remember a Johnny Davis quote where he told Dwight that if he wanted the ball he should get it off the rim. Again, six years later that's what Dwight still says when asked about getting more shots.

Dwight never went through the rigors that a dependable low post scorer has to endure early in his career. He has never been given the opportunity to carry the lions share of the scoring load to develop the nuisances such as soft hands and soft touches around the basket. He was never given the chance to develop an offensive identity. He wasn't given the license to shoot mid range jumpers (which he could do), he wasn't posted up consistently to get used to the low post game and what it took to score on the block in the nba.

Dwight came into this league as a power forward and was moved to the Center position in either his second or third year. A move Clifford Ray was vehemently against. He was then physically built to become a dominating center (putting on tons of muscle) which i believe further affected his offensive game. Dwight is not comfortable with his back to the basket. He is not a natural center. In fact i think if they had developed him properly he would have been closer to a Chris Bosh with more power down low and greater leaping ability.

The Dwight you see on the offensive end of the floor is a reflection of how this franchise has made him. Kudos to them for turning him into the one of the best defensive big men ever, but he could have been so much more. I still think he can become much better offensively, but its not gonna happen in a gym with a trainer. Its gonna come under the lights with the ball in his hands against Perkins/Yao/Shaq. We need to live through his struggles offensively even if it costs games in the short term, cause only then will he become what we all know he can be.

Look at the Carterites defend their horrible shooter to the death. No way is VC responsible for anything bad on the team. I have yet to hear one Carterite explain why he is shooting the WORST of his career. Many dodges and deflections but none have the balls to actually take the topic on. Probably because most are under the age of 20 and don't have a clue. They cry how he never had a team around him before(that's why he never won anything), but now that he has the best supporting cast ever.....he is shooting terrible. Not just in ONE game....but ALL season. So, VCnutriders, why is the chucker chucking is so badly?????

Closer to Chris Bosh????

If Bosh reads this comment probably he ll get a fit. Howard and Bosh in the same sentence, dont you think this is kind of taking a bit far?

Howard is a superstar, Bosh is a wing man at best. They treat him like a superstar in Toronto, but what other chance do they have, tell me.

He used to average more than 20 points a game. What has changed I dont know.

This second fiddle attitude will cost the Magic.

By the way the guy you are comparing to Howard has been considered a wing man to Lebron.

If he comes to Orlando, he ll be Howards sidekick. Not in the same category.

Saying all that, that was a thorough post and very helpfull too. But sadly I disagre with you on the main arguement. Little bulkier Rashard would be so much more helpfull than Bosh at any given time.

quote:
Originally posted by T REX:

Look at the Carterites defend their horrible shooter to the death. No way is VC responsible for anything bad on the team. I have yet to hear one Carterite explain why he is shooting the WORST of his career. Many dodges and deflections but none have the balls to actually take the topic on. Probably because most are under the age of 20 and don't have a clue. They cry how he never had a team around him before(that's why he never won anything), but now that he has the best supporting cast ever.....he is shooting terrible. Not just in ONE game....but ALL season. So, VCnutriders, why is the chucker chucking is so badly?????

Because VC sucks and we should have given Turk 50 mil.

No one, including me, is going to claim Hedo is better straight up. Did Hedo FIT here better? Of course. I swear you people want to see something that isn't there. VC tanked games. Karma will never let him win anything....ever. Watch.

VC does not suck, he makes the team suck.

He treats this huge team like a highschool team and put up every ball he gets. Unless he averages 50%, that ll be deadly down the road.

I wish I knew the ages to some of the idiots on this site. Anyone blameing vince for howards low shot attempts is either a child, a VC hater or simply not watching the games.