Group C - England and USA

Group D - Germany and Serbia

Group E - Netherlands and Cameroon

Group F - Italy and Paraguay

Group G - Brazil and Portugal

Group H - Spain and Chile

WOW!

In one day, Drogba and Ferdinand OUT !

Unbelievable...Now Ivory Coast let Portugual and Brazil get through easy.

England wont have trouble winning their group, but I think their chances for a long run are hurt by this.

3 Strong Candidates remaining:

Spain, Brazil and Argentina

If Spain does not win this one, then they wont ever win the WC.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

WOW!

England wont have trouble winning their group, but I think their chances for a long run are hurt by this.

Drogba is more important to Ivory Coast that Ferdinan is for England. They still have Terry and a heck of a team.

I think England will make it to the Semifinals because if they finish first in their group they would probably play Serbia or USA and beat them and then face whoever wins group A (IMO France) and beat them as well. (France would have to finish first and beat Greece or Nigeria)

It's just too sad to see this very important players hurt before the WC ever starts.

quote:

WOW!

Having Rio Ferdinand out is no loss at all. He's been injured and awful all season, half the country is happy he is out. Plus England are blessed with quality centre backs, it's where we have the best cover and depth.

As far as Drogba goes, he's still officially part of the squad. I've had a fractured elbow and it is something you can play through if it's padded up.

Also Colombiano, I can't believe you have South Africa to make it to the second round. Are you on crazy pills icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

quote:

WOW!

Having Rio Ferdinand out is no loss at all. He's been injured and awful all season, half the country is happy he is out. Plus England are blessed with quality centre backs, it's where we have the best cover and depth.

As far as Drogba goes, he's still officially part of the squad. I've had a fractured elbow and it is something you can play through if it's padded up.

Also Colombiano, I can't believe you have South Africa to make it to the second round. Are you on crazy pills icon_wink.gif

Wanna bet? While they may be the worst team to ever host a WC you know what refs will somehow help them. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat both Mexico and Uruguay.

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:

quote:

WOW!

Wanna bet? While they may be the worst team to ever host a WC you know what refs will somehow help them. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat both Mexico and Uruguay.

I'll take a bet sure. I bet that not only do they go out first round they pick up no points too. I hope they make it, as it's always a better atmosphere when the host nation is still in but I think Parreira hasn't had enough time to sort them out. I give him credit because before he joined they were an absolute joke and since he took over, their results have been decent and they've toughened up defensively but the other three teams are pretty good. I just don't see them doing anything against France, Mexico or Uruguay.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

WOW!

I'll take a bet sure. I bet that not only do they go out first round they pick up no points too. I hope they make it, as it's always a better atmosphere when the host nation is still in but I think Parreira hasn't had enough time to sort them out. I give him credit because before he joined they were an absolute joke and since he took over, their results have been decent and they've toughened up defensively but the other three teams are pretty good. I just don't see them doing anything against France, Mexico or Uruguay.

I don't want from whatever it is that you are smoking. South Africa will win at least 1 game and may tie the other 2.

France it's a complete mess even though it's full of stars. I give them the benefit of the doubt because it's players, but as team they look horrible.

Mexico plays with balls and that's about it. They've lost their past 3 games pre-world cup and are not looking good.

Uruguay has been very incosistent for the past 2 years and I doubt they win a game in the WC.

quote:

I think it NEVER HAPPENED that the host went out in the 1st round.

Dont you guys remember the robbery from Korea against Italy and Spain in 02?

I believe it's never happened. The Korea game...I'm there with you, I was just as surprised the to see Japan make it as far as they did when they also sukced.

quote:

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on NEVER. Here is a list of host cities;

1930 Uruguay

1934 Italy

1938 France

1950 Brazil

1954 Switzerland

1958 Sweden

1962 Chile

1966 England

1970 Mexico

1974 West Germany

1978 Argentina

1982 Spain

1986 Mexico

1990 Italy

1994 United States

1998 France

2002 Korea Republic

2006 Germany

You can make an argument about

1954 Switzerland

1962 Chile

1994 United States

2002 Korea Republic

as host countries that surprised by lasting longer than they should but that's four world cups where there could have been an argument.

The rest were no surprise.

South Africa not making it out of the first round is not that monumental.

And by the way, for countries whitout history and high expectations, I think the exitement of the host country for the tournament actually goes up when the team is eliminated.

quote:

quote:

Dont you guys remember the robbery from Korea against Italy and Spain in 02?

I believe it's never happened. The Korea game...I'm there with you, I was just as surprised the to see Japan make it as far as they did when they also sukced.

South Korea had a very good team in 2002 and fully deserved to beat Italy. Italy were poor that year. England were very lucky to draw against South Korea in a friendly the week or two before the world cup started. They dominated the entire game. Japan I agree, they were not that good a team.