Sign in to follow this  
GhostAnime

Why is Orlando's offense so effective?

I know they space the 3 point line and give Howard space. I know they also punish double teams on Howard by shooting 3's, but what if Howard doesn't dominate? That's usually when Magic have a tough time winning... for example, the Boston/Orlando series last playoffs season. I think they ran pick & roll off the 3 point line?

Regardless, what makes it so effective, yet, so simple? What makes it incredibly hard to guard (although somehow the Lakers could stop it.. or was it that we couldn't stop the Lakers?).

I would just like some in-depth analysis.

I know they space the 3 point line and give Howard space. I know they also punish double teams on Howard by shooting 3's, but what if Howard doesn't dominate? That's usually when Magic have a tough time winning... for example, the Boston/Orlando series last playoffs season. I think they ran pick & roll off the 3 point line?

Regardless, what makes it so effective, yet, so simple? What makes it incredibly hard to guard (although somehow the Lakers could stop it.. or was it that we couldn't stop the Lakers?).

I would just like some in-depth analysis.

-Jameer tries to dribble towards the paint and get the ball to Dwight.

-VC runs a pick and roll with Dwight and finishes with his great inside scoring (Layups, fades, dunks).

-If VC gets stopped, dishes it to Dwight for finish or an open perimeter player.

-Post up Rashard.

-Post up VC

-Give ball to Dwight, draw double team, dish to open perimeter player

-Screen for VC/Shard/Jameer/or 5th starter even. Or run plays with screens.

-Last resort, I'd say is a VC or Jameer Iso. Which isnt a bad resort at all

It's effective, we have so many options.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Jameer can work in iso? Never saw that much..

I meant like create a shot, not isolation to get to the hoop...but I guess you're right.

sometimes Jameer can cross up ppl.

Lakers stopped Orlando by fouling Dwight, after which, he could not make a ****ing free throw. If he had made 1-2 extra free throws, the series would have been tied 3-3 and gone to Game 7.

Yes we could have won that series if we shot 80% from the line. Overall Dwight being dominate opens the offense for everyone else because he requires so much attention and a constant double team. Now I do believe his passing has improved as well as his patience on offfense. Look out for us if and when our defense improves because stopping us offensively will be quite the task.

Why is this being asked?

Dwight is a beast that draws attention and the Magic have capable shooters.

Vince and Meer both being able to create their own offense helps.

The OP is probably asking for X's and O's stuff so I will try my best to do so.

What I think makes our offense effective and different, is because we use movement typically suited for beating zone defenses in man defense sets.

For instance, the best way to beat a zone is to shoot from the outside, and drive and kick, you see it all the time in college. We use it off of pick and rolls and post ups and passes out (from Dwight) when the double comes.

A zone defense is designed to eliminate post and paint scoring and force teams to beat you from the outside, teams can't play us zone because of the shooters we have. So we run an offense designed to beat a zone when teams are playing us man up, so it confuses teams and makes it tough to defend.

Seriously, watch a college game, and notice how they get shots on the perimeter when teams play zone, we just use the pick and roll as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

The OP is probably asking for X's and O's stuff so I will try my best to do so.

What I think makes our offense effective and different, is because we use movement typically suited for beating zone defenses in man defense sets.

For instance, the best way to beat a zone is to shoot from the outside, and drive and kick, you see it all the time in college. We use it off of pick and rolls and post ups and passes out (from Dwight) when the double comes.

A zone defense is designed to eliminate post and paint scoring and force teams to beat you from the outside, teams can't play us zone because of the shooters we have. So we run an offense designed to beat a zone when teams are playing us man up, so it confuses teams and makes it tough to defend.

Seriously, watch a college game, and notice how they get shots on the perimeter when teams play zone, we just use the pick and roll as well.

you did sum that well however i would like to add that to also beat a zone and get cheap points and force the refs to make a decision you also need to move the ball into the long corners then reverse it and use dribble penetration over the split line to attack the rotating defense or make the extra pass to to wide open set shooter.

i loved watching us moving the ball making the extra pass especally in the kings game.

with the man to man option i would like to see us try a 1-4 flat it is a pain to defend and if you had vince in iso at the top with the ball dwight and 1 other big at the low posts and 2 sharp shooters on the baseline 3 then it will result in either 1 of 3 dunk options or a nice wide open 3 pt shot.