Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

Barnes, Battier, and more...

quote:
Originally posted by D-White:

thanks for the welcome murphy.

i think i read somewhere that phoenix was no longer interested in bringing back barnes.

also, denton mentioned a day or two ago that barnes was only waiting for bass to sign so that he can sign with the magic. imo, he's not looking to be a starter at all. he's interested in signing with us even with our current lineup. that simply means he's not looking for starting job. 1.7M is more than twice his salary last season. also, he'd get a lot more than that because he's coming to a team that will play a lot more games because we're going back to the finals! more games = more salary

no problem...I didnt hear that about PHX. That changes everything regarding him because he loses his negotiating tool...Usually players hold their current teams ransom for a new deal.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

barnes is 6'7". jj is 6'4"

quote:
Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus... and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Pietrus is definitely better, but as we saw last season, he's injury-prone. barnes would be a good short-term replacement for MP when he goes down with his stupid injuries.

we can never be certain who gets injured this season so i think barnes would be a decent addition for us. we might need him to play significant minutes when the time comes. at 1.7M? that's a bargain imo.

welcome d-white, I am trying to find the link to the pre-draft camp list(its hard to find from so many years ago), but i believe Barnes was actually measured at slightly over 6'6" Redick was listed at 6'4 and 3/4" thats not a big difference at all...especially considering many believe redick to be undersized for a sg.

your second comment is my point exactly, Barnes would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus. But, that isnt what Barnes is looking for, he is looking to be a starter because thats what he would be in PHX. Also, 1.7MIL is a bargain, youre right once again. Thats why its not enough for him...as a starter that will require minutes that cant be guaranteed here.

you know, i hear ryan anderson is 6'10 and dwight is 6'11, i think we can switch them out and no one would notice.

when you require LENGTH for a position, do you go for a player that is undersized for a position-regardless of how he compares to other players on the team? try not to get distracted by the names of players you dont like and just understand the point is that matt barnes is small.

lol yeah that's a thing we humans like to call a joke.

i'll hear it all day that i'm a jj basher, but he's not a strong/quick enough shooting guard for us to rely on for any lengthy period of time.

players i like: battier, anderson, dwight, i hope i didn't insult them, you might take things the wrong way... again.

this has nothing to do with redick, many people havent seen barnes in person and they dont realize what they are going to get because they base what they know of him on stats and what other people tell them. I was just giving a frame of reference for size. I saw the joke, it just wasnt funny or pertinent. I liked your other comment that I already responded to though...well thought out.

lol well i'm sorry i'm used to someone trying to do something underhanded to disparage one part of the team, i can't spell today, i'm glad you see what i see in carney. i'm not too high on barnes myself, but for the money we're offering, if he wants to show up and play our lesser minutes and considering how much a guy like carney could sign for somewhere else, he might be the option.

and the joke was ok.

quote:

quote:

i think i read somewhere that phoenix was no longer interested in bringing back barnes.

also, denton mentioned a day or two ago that barnes was only waiting for bass to sign so that he can sign with the magic. imo, he's not looking to be a starter at all. he's interested in signing with us even with our current lineup. that simply means he's not looking for starting job. 1.7M is more than twice his salary last season. also, he'd get a lot more than that because he's coming to a team that will play a lot more games because we're going back to the finals! more games = more salary

no problem...I didnt hear that about PHX. That changes everything regarding him because he loses his negotiating tool...Usually players hold their current teams ransom for a new deal.

yeah i think they threw barnes out the window when they resinged grant hill, but would a cali kid like barnes want to play in orlando? at this point in his career, is he wanting to win? or just live in a good city and get paid. we have a good city in orlando, but we can't compete off the court with larger metro areas if he's into that. if it comes down to winning and being in the sg/sf(not starting) rotation he'll come here... what's stopping boston from offering up the same amount of cash to fortify their horrible bench? toronto as well?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

FixedThisThreadSucks.gif

I would like to see you do better instead of putting assinine pictures up all the time.

Hey come on someone has to fill that void on the board. It might as well be him.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

Murphy I like ur ideas a lot.

Scola and Landry are both PFs tho and I dont see them coming to back up Dwight.

if we could magically pull out a Battier, lowry mix I'd be more than pleased with the team.

that would be ideal because we need to fill the roster spots and 2 for 1 is the best way to do so...but the BYC status is a major hurdle for multiple players and Houston doesnt exactly have a full roster themselves either.

quote:
Originally posted by dlavega:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

You know how some teams have guys that are know as "un-touchables" because they are either a star player, or an up-and-coming player?

Yeah, Landry and Scola are one of those to Houston.

thanxkbuy.

according to Houston fans they are willing to part with one of them to get competitive...which probably includes acquiring a center. I guess you know better than them though...

k?

so what your saying is....that houston fans are in charge of releasing...signing...and trading players from the houston rockets organization?

negative, but they probably know better than we do what could/should go down regarding their team, huh? Its just a way to check your opinion instead of throwing around blind speculation like many do here. Atleast my opinion is backed by the opposing sides' opinion and thats how things get done when it comes to trades because both sides feel like they come out a winner.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

barnes is 6'7". jj is 6'4"

quote:
Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus... and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Pietrus is definitely better, but as we saw last season, he's injury-prone. barnes would be a good short-term replacement for MP when he goes down with his stupid injuries.

we can never be certain who gets injured this season so i think barnes would be a decent addition for us. we might need him to play significant minutes when the time comes. at 1.7M? that's a bargain imo.

welcome d-white, I am trying to find the link to the pre-draft camp list(its hard to find from so many years ago), but i believe Barnes was actually measured at slightly over 6'6" Redick was listed at 6'4 and 3/4" thats not a big difference at all...especially considering many believe redick to be undersized for a sg.

your second comment is my point exactly, Barnes would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus. But, that isnt what Barnes is looking for, he is looking to be a starter because thats what he would be in PHX. Also, 1.7MIL is a bargain, youre right once again. Thats why its not enough for him...as a starter that will require minutes that cant be guaranteed here.

you know, i hear ryan anderson is 6'10 and dwight is 6'11, i think we can switch them out and no one would notice.

when you require LENGTH for a position, do you go for a player that is undersized for a position-regardless of how he compares to other players on the team? try not to get distracted by the names of players you dont like and just understand the point is that matt barnes is small.

lol yeah that's a thing we humans like to call a joke.

i'll hear it all day that i'm a jj basher, but he's not a strong/quick enough shooting guard for us to rely on for any lengthy period of time.

players i like: battier, anderson, dwight, i hope i didn't insult them, you might take things the wrong way... again.

this has nothing to do with redick, many people havent seen barnes in person and they dont realize what they are going to get because they base what they know of him on stats and what other people tell them. I was just giving a frame of reference for size. I saw the joke, it just wasnt funny or pertinent. I liked your other comment that I already responded to though...well thought out.

lol well i'm sorry i'm used to someone trying to do something underhanded to disparage one part of the team, i can't spell today, i'm glad you see what i see in carney. i'm not too high on barnes myself, but for the money we're offering, if he wants to show up and play our lesser minutes and considering how much a guy like carney could sign for somewhere else, he might be the option.

and the joke was ok.

yeah, the joke wasnt that bad...i guess we can be friends then? I dont have anything against Barnes, I was just weighing the likelyhood of him coming. Im sure as a FA he would have to agree to diminished minutes, otherwise he wouldnt come at all...

quote:

quote:

quote:

yeah i think they threw barnes out the window when they resinged grant hill, but would a cali kid like barnes want to play in orlando? at this point in his career, is he wanting to win? or just live in a good city and get paid. we have a good city in orlando, but we can't compete off the court with larger metro areas if he's into that. if it comes down to winning and being in the sg/sf(not starting) rotation he'll come here... what's stopping boston from offering up the same amount of cash to fortify their horrible bench? toronto as well?

You must understand...

Barnes' agent has been in Orlando all week trying to get him here.

Barnes WANTS to be here.

quote:

quote:

quote:

he probably feels he is due for a payday, given his nba career thus far...and will likely go to the highest bidder. But, maybe he is wise beyond his years and understands that if he wins a ring as a role player then he could really cash in down the road a bit. Does he have the gift of foresight though?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You must understand...

Barnes WANTS to be here.

well maybe thats enough to actually get him here into the role that we need, doubtful, but good for his agent trying to find him a job!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You must understand...

Barnes WANTS to be here.

well maybe thats enough to actually get him here into the role that we need, doubtful, but good for his agent trying to find him a job!

That's what I've been sayin.

This is gonna work out for the Magic.

Barnes wants to be here and wants to win. He'll be okay with the role we give him, which will be a good one, just not starters minutes, I don't think.