Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

Barnes, Battier, and more...

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by D-White:

quote:
Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

barnes is 6'7". jj is 6'4"

quote:
Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus... and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Pietrus is definitely better, but as we saw last season, he's injury-prone. barnes would be a good short-term replacement for MP when he goes down with his stupid injuries.

we can never be certain who gets injured this season so i think barnes would be a decent addition for us. we might need him to play significant minutes when the time comes. at 1.7M? that's a bargain imo.

welcome d-white, I am trying to find the link to the pre-draft camp list(its hard to find from so many years ago), but i believe Barnes was actually measured at slightly over 6'6" Redick was listed at 6'4 and 3/4" thats not a big difference at all...especially considering many believe redick to be undersized for a sg.

your second comment is my point exactly, Barnes would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus. But, that isnt what Barnes is looking for, he is looking to be a starter because thats what he would be in PHX. Also, 1.7MIL is a bargain, youre right once again. Thats why its not enough for him...as a starter that will require minutes that cant be guaranteed here.

you know, i hear ryan anderson is 6'10 and dwight is 6'11, i think we can switch them out and no one would notice.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:

quote:

Why would Bass start over Scola?

do you see scola doing a good job against KG, Powe, Perkins, or other athletic strong bigs? didnt think so, scola is not a banger, he does a decent job holding his own...but sometimes you just need some beef down low. But remember, I didnt say scola alone, also consider Landry.

Not that it is feasible to get Scola, but all of the players you just mentioned are on the Celtics. Should we start AJ over Nelson because Meer can't bang with big point guards like Billups and Baron Davis?

I started mentioning players that gave us trouble in these playoffs, but the list started getting long so I just summarized it to save time. You know there are other teams with players that would give him fits(detroit, LA for example) I didnt find it necessary to list every player to get the point across.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

quote:
Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus... and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Pietrus is definitely better, but as we saw last season, he's injury-prone. barnes would be a good short-term replacement for MP when he goes down with his stupid injuries.

we can never be certain who gets injured this season so i think barnes would be a decent addition for us. we might need him to play significant minutes when the time comes. at 1.7M? that's a bargain imo.

welcome d-white, I am trying to find the link to the pre-draft camp list(its hard to find from so many years ago), but i believe Barnes was actually measured at slightly over 6'6" Redick was listed at 6'4 and 3/4" thats not a big difference at all...especially considering many believe redick to be undersized for a sg.

your second comment is my point exactly, Barnes would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus. But, that isnt what Barnes is looking for, he is looking to be a starter because thats what he would be in PHX. Also, 1.7MIL is a bargain, youre right once again. Thats why its not enough for him...as a starter that will require minutes that cant be guaranteed here.

you know, i hear ryan anderson is 6'10 and dwight is 6'11, i think we can switch them out and no one would notice.

when you require LENGTH for a position, do you go for a player that is undersized for a position-regardless of how he compares to other players on the team? try not to get distracted by the names of players you dont like and just understand the point is that matt barnes is small.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

do you see scola doing a good job against KG, Powe, Perkins, or other athletic strong bigs? didnt think so, scola is not a banger, he does a decent job holding his own...but sometimes you just need some beef down low. But remember, I didnt say scola alone, also consider Landry.

Not that it is feasible to get Scola, but all of the players you just mentioned are on the Celtics. Should we start AJ over Nelson because Meer can't bang with big point guards like Billups and Baron Davis?

I started mentioning players that gave us trouble in these playoffs, but the list started getting long so I just summarized it to save time. You know there are other teams with players that would give him fits(detroit, LA for example) I didnt find it necessary to list every player to get the point across.

i think our team next year will have to worry about a different set of players that burned us in the past, clee did alot of defensive dirty work that no one on the current roster at that position, except for peitrus is ready to do. i like vince's ability but he has to get tired at some point at his age and the status of his previously faulty knees.

basically i'm saying we need to get a clee type defender for the team, i don't think it's barnes, but looking down options he can possibly solve more problems than the current situation.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

when you require LENGTH for a position, do you go for a player that is undersized for a position-regardless of how he compares to other players on the team? try not to get distracted by the names of players you dont like and just understand the point is that matt barnes is small.

lol yeah that's a thing we humans like to call a joke.

i'll hear it all day that i'm a jj basher, but he's not a strong/quick enough shooting guard for us to rely on for any lengthy period of time.

players i like: battier, anderson, dwight, i hope i didn't insult them, you might take things the wrong way... again.

quote:

with yao on the rocks they're not letting scola go for anything, they definately need bodies. the reason barnes is in the equation is because he's cheap, like von wafer cheap, and both of those would likely come off the bench to back up VC around the 2guard spot if not peitrus. if battier signed with us that sf/sg role would have some very serious talent in it's core not to mention the amount of minutes would need to be rotated to keep everyone happy.

battier is amazing and i wish we would get him because we can't use jj as a main part of the SG core if we want to get back to the playoffs/finals again, unless we have to play boston in ever game next year along with every series.

truthfully we need a quick defensive minded person to fill in the gap and barnes seems like he has the right price tag, and battier is too good to really seem feasable, the next person down the list would be rodney carney. he's listed as a SF but has the speed and capability to play the SG if necessary, he can hit the 3 at somewhere between 35 and 40 percent, he has long arms, a long frame, and the kid can fly not just speed down the court, but also in jumping ability.

in a haste you can take a look at him and his numbers and think he's not a good fit, but with these sort of players you have to forget his past situation and consider his future one. he's a young athlete that can hit a shot and with stan yelling at him for the entire game it's not like he's going to make bad decisions (does that sound familiar? a certain number 22 in last year's draft), actually i hear his turn over ration compared to minutes played isn't too bad... but that's from like wikipedia when i was researching free agents, you never know what sources they have listed.

but that's my take, we need barnes to fill out the sg/sf rotation because with courtney gone we need to negate the other team's quick athlete, vince is getting up there in age, peitrus is great but has to split time right now, jj is slow, clee really realieved some defensive liability last year and we need someone that can do that for us this season.

i hear ya, and it all makes sense. I like carney better for our team personally because he would be ok in the role. Barnes wouldnt be I dont think...He isnt a backup in his mind, and he is vocal about what he thinks. Carney also seems like the type of player that would actually improve(as a shooter) if he came here. Barnes, is a brick machine.

thanks for the welcome murphy.

i think i read somewhere that phoenix was no longer interested in bringing back barnes.

also, denton mentioned a day or two ago that barnes was only waiting for bass to sign so that he can sign with the magic. imo, he's not looking to be a starter at all. he's interested in signing with us even with our current lineup. that simply means he's not looking for starting job. 1.7M is more than twice his salary last season. also, he'd get a lot more than that because he's coming to a team that will play a lot more games because we're going back to the finals! more games = more salary

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scola could match up defensively with most starting 4's in the NBA. The Lakers start Gasol. The Celtics are full of bangers like that, so it'd be better to let KG get his and have Bass take Powe off the bench so that Powe doesn't go off having a physical advantage.

Scola is a better PF overall at this point. You underestimate him. I suppose that is why you would expect Houston to consider letting him go. Which they won't.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

lol yeah that's a thing we humans like to call a joke.

i'll hear it all day that i'm a jj basher, but he's not a strong/quick enough shooting guard for us to rely on for any lengthy period of time.

players i like: battier, anderson, dwight, i hope i didn't insult them, you might take things the wrong way... again.

this has nothing to do with redick, many people havent seen barnes in person and they dont realize what they are going to get because they base what they know of him on stats and what other people tell them. I was just giving a frame of reference for size. I saw the joke, it just wasnt funny or pertinent. I liked your other comment that I already responded to though...well thought out.

Murphy I like ur ideas a lot.

Scola and Landry are both PFs tho and I dont see them coming to back up Dwight.

if we could magically pull out a Battier, lowry mix I'd be more than pleased with the team.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scola could match up defensively with most starting 4's in the NBA. The Lakers start Gasol. The Celtics are full of bangers like that, so it'd be better to let KG get his and have Bass take Powe off the bench so that Powe doesn't go off having a physical advantage.

Scola is a better PF overall at this point. You underestimate him. I suppose that is why you would expect Houston to consider letting him go. Which they won't.

I guess it all just depends on what the needs are for the team. They have 5 PF's, and 0 centers. I dont underestimate scola at all, I merely stated that Scola and Landry were two players I expect Otis to enquire about if Battier is unattainable.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

You know how some teams have guys that are know as "un-touchables" because they are either a star player, or an up-and-coming player?

Yeah, Landry and Scola are one of those to Houston.

thanxkbuy.

according to Houston fans they are willing to part with one of them to get competitive...which probably includes acquiring a center. I guess you know better than them though...

k?

so what your saying is....that houston fans are in charge of releasing...signing...and trading players from the houston rockets organization?