Sign in to follow this  
Veritas

Hedo vs Vince: the best hyprocrite Oscar goes to Magic fans!

OK guys. I have been watching hypocrisy flooding this forum once again. Actually, Magic fans are in the best position to empathize with Hedo, as even though this team had made it to the NBA finals, it was still underestimated and overlooked by many. Is this a correct statement? Yes, as you were all cry babies wining about it for weeks just a short while ago! Hedo has been in a very similar position. First, as SVG has always righteously put, Turk always had the talent and stardom, yet, he was not on the right team, or he was underutilized by incompetent coaches, right? He finally found his rhythm with SVG launching him as a fatal weapon. All NBA coaches and commentators and ex-players like Chuck and Magic Johnson appreciated Hedo's talent and significant role especially during the last two years. On top of these basketball legends, current stars like Kobe and LeBron commented the same way about Hedo and they actually tried very hard to stop him. Yet, Hedo was still able to kill them several times. BUT, what do all these former and current basketball stars know about basketball right! You know it all better. They must have been looking at Hedo's game from a different angle and seeing somethings that you all guys fail to see selectively, collectively, and simultaneously!!! The guy won the MIP award last year at the age of 29 and, wait, it must have been a huge mistake again! That is very surprising to me. How can you guys fail in such a synchronized way :-))) Yes, he did. Yes he can. And yes he will. You will not like it still. That's OK. Opinions vary. I am very OK with all of this. But, I just wanted to present my two pennies.

Let me finish by saying that I am not even a BIG Hedo fan, I have never been. I am not blind and brainwashed homer like many of you, as you can, and you actually did, even belittle GIGANTIC basketball players like Lebron and Kobe. That's the difference my friends. I have been a Magic fan, yet I have also been able to appreciate our opponents. I enjoyed watching them play good basketball, even though I rooted for the Magic team. In the end, you guys are thinking and arguing so unilaterally and in a mutually exclusive way. It is B or W for you.

Just admit it. Hedo was going to be remembered forever as a basketball legend, had Lee executed that last play. Remember, the same Hedo had just blocked Kobe's shot on the defensive end during the previous possession. I am just curious had Lee not missed that shot and had we eliminated Lakers and got the championship, what could you have been writing on this board about Hedo. And that pisses me off. And that's why I have brought the hypocrisy issue!!! Let me remind you another game where Hedo's heroics were instantly killed by Lebron when Hedo made a 3 and than made another basket putting Magic 2 points ahead, and Lebron responded that miracle last second 3 stealing Hedo's storm.

I want to conclude by saying that SVG actually made multiple very costly errors down the road. And the cost was the championship in 2009! Think about it now. I am wondering who is going to bail him out several dozens of time next year, as it won't be Hedo. Where will Hedo end up? It does not matter. He is a basketball player, an excellent one. And he has been overlooked and underestimated, underappreciated. At least in the financial realm lately, as if Lewis can make that kind of money in this galaxy, Hedo should be making at least double of what he has been offered. That's plain, simple, straight, and fair. But we are not living in a perfect world. We shall see my friends. I am inviting all of you to think about everything and brush up your very short memories before dissing a guy who has done great things for YOUR team.

Ciao...

quote:
Originally posted by Veritas:

OK guys. I have been watching hypocrisy flooding this forum once again. Actually, Magic fans are in the best position to empathize with Hedo, as even though this team had made it to the NBA finals, it was still underestimated and overlooked by many. Is this a correct statement? Yes, as you were all cry babies wining about it for weeks just a short while ago! Hedo has been in a very similar position. First, as SVG has always righteously put, Turk always had the talent and stardom, yet, he was not on the right team, or he was underutilized by incompetent coaches, right? He finally found his rhythm with SVG launching him as a fatal weapon. All NBA coaches and commentators and ex-players like Chuck and Magic Johnson appreciated Hedo's talent and significant role especially during the last two years. On top of these basketball legends, current stars like Kobe and LeBron commented the same way about Hedo and they actually tried very hard to stop him. Yet, Hedo was still able to kill them several times. BUT, what do all these former and current basketball stars know about basketball right! You know it all better. They must have been looking at Hedo's game from a different angle and seeing somethings that you all guys fail to see selectively, collectively, and simultaneously!!! The guy won the MIP award last year at the age of 29 and, wait, it must have been a huge mistake again! That is very surprising to me. How can you guys fail in such a synchronized way :-))) Yes, he did. Yes he can. And yes he will. You will not like it still. That's OK. Opinions vary. I am very OK with all of this. But, I just wanted to present my two pennies.

Let me finish by saying that I am not even a BIG Hedo fan, I have never been. I am not blind and brainwashed homer like many of you, as you can, and you actually did, even belittle GIGANTIC basketball players like Lebron and Kobe. That's the difference my friends. I have been a Magic fan, yet I have also been able to appreciate our opponents. I enjoyed watching them play good basketball, even though I rooted for the Magic team. In the end, you guys are thinking and arguing so unilaterally and in a mutually exclusive way. It is B or W for you.

Just admit it. Hedo was going to be remembered forever as a basketball legend, had Lee executed that last play. Remember, the same Hedo had just blocked Kobe's shot on the defensive end during the previous possession. I am just curious had Lee not missed that shot and had we eliminated Lakers and got the championship, what could you have been writing on this board about Hedo. And that pisses me off. And that's why I have brought the hypocrisy issue!!! Let me remind you another game where Hedo's heroics were instantly killed by Lebron when Hedo made a 3 and than made another basket putting Magic 2 points ahead, and Lebron responded that miracle last second 3 stealing Hedo's storm.

I want to conclude by saying that SVG actually made multiple very costly errors down the road. And the cost was the championship in 2009! Think about it now. I am wondering who is going to bail him out several dozens of time next year, as it won't be Hedo. Where will Hedo end up? It does not matter. He is a basketball player, an excellent one. And he has been overlooked and underestimated, underappreciated. At least in the financial realm lately, as if Lewis can make that kind of money in this galaxy, Hedo should be making at least double of what he has been offered. That's plain, simple, straight, and fair. But we are not living in a perfect world. We shall see my friends. I am inviting all of you to think about everything and brush up your very short memories before dissing a guy who has done great things for YOUR team.

Ciao...

we're not undervaluing him though. we offered him a contract, he went higher than his perceived value, we traded our expirings for an upgrade at the 2 and leverage so hedo can't use his heroics as a way to drive up his price. We can still end up with hedo if he decides to take us up on our initial offer but not at the price he wants.

We understand what hedo has done. We appreciate what hedo has done. But contracts are for what hedo will do.

All of his shooting %s have dropped back to the points they were pre-MIP season. He's not that 47% shooter anymore and its more likely that his best season was an anomaly rather than a trend.

Frankly I would love to keep Hedo provided that his contract is short. I like that Hedo at the 3 allows us to play small ball. Its fun to watch. All of us just dont want to deal with a decrepit hedo at age 36 still making 10 or 11 million a year and wishing we could use that money to win (hopefully) another championship instead of wasting Dwight's prime years. This scenario would suck if it was anybody. Hell, if we traded for Ray Allen or Jason Terry or Tim Duncan or Shaq tomorrow and gave him a 5 year contract that was 8 figures we would all be pissed off too.

The trade for Vince Carter isn't hypocritical because while his contract is huge the length isn't. This move is a Huge risk to take but the consequences are only short term. If this fails, we're only screwed out of 1 or 2 years of contention. If we sign hedo long term and he fails, we're screwed out of 4 or 5 years of contention.

Heres the TL;DR version:

We wouldn't mind keeping hedo as long as the contract was short. Vince Carter trade and not signing hedo aren't contradictory.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

I checked. It is just movie stuff.

haha i laughed hard at this ****.

yo all the over the top Turk fans and over the top VC fans are making me dislike the players (n prolly other ppl feel the same way), when i hear unrelistic rants about how they are the reason/best and stuff.

y cant we be better fans and be hardcore fans of OUR ROSTER as it is. N have our favorites (secretly).

This forum gettin in so many arguments its making me like VC and Turk Less. Which shuld NOT be da case. VC and TURK dont ask for this criticism or praisal.

Veritas I agree with a lot of the things you posted regarding what COULD HAVE BEEN in these NBA Finals. It's what makes it so heart-breaking. If Lee's layup goes it, it may just be the best play in the Finals EVER.

But he missed, and that's tough, because if he makes it this team just won the Finals and the entire core starting lineup is back next year.

Although I still had a feeling Hedo was willing to opt-out even if the Magic did win the Finals. He's looking to make some big money, can't blame the guy. The Magic could not offer him the 10 mil/yr that he wanted, so he was leaving no matter what.

Lee and Alston will do fine in NJ, and Hedo will be a stud whereever he ends up. It was a nice run watching these guys beat the odds and play in the Finals, and it's a **** shame they came so close just to lose it to a couple plays.

The fans around here are pumped to see a player the calibur of VC come here, and the fact that Vince WANTS to come here makes it even better. It's his hometown, he wants to win a championship, he wants to play hard. That's a scary combination for a guy that plays like Vince. In NJ, he knew he didn't have a chance. Now he knows, and we're gonna see the best he has to offer.

Wow...

Blaming our losing the finals on Lee? The Lakers are a very good team, and even if Lee makes that difficult play, that doesn't mean we win the finals. It means we win game 1. Nothing more.

You are right when you point out how Hedo won't be remembered for certain things because something else overshadowed them in the same game, particularly the LeBron 3, but that is just the way it is, great winning plays get remembered, plays that keep it close or give you a chance, not so much.

Comparing Hedo's contract to Lewis is faulty logic. Everyone here knows that Lewis is overpaid. Does that mean that Hedo should be overpaid just to make things "fair"? So, Otis makes one mistake, he should be forced to make the same mistake again just to be fair? Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Sound familiar?

Otis is making a smart move by making Hedo a good offer, and letting the market determine if he is worth more or not. I'd much rather have the GM making sound decisions about a particular player based off of team goals and market worth over perceived worth and team contract comparisons.

You know, something else to consider here:

Lewis was offered his contract before this team blew up the rest of the league and fought their way out of the second round, and (the next season) into the NBA finals. We were not a big free agent magnet at the time.

Now we are coming off of a finals run, making big moves, and players who want a ring more than anything else are seriously considering playing for Orlando.

All things being equal, and ignoring the fact that Lewis was overpaid regardless of the situation, Orlando is now a better product, so shouldn't Hedo's contract me less?

Playing for a title has value. It's extra incentive for a player that truly wants to win a ring. Make no mistakes about it, that is this teams goal. If you want money over a ring, then this team is leaving you behind. The time is now to make a move and win the championship, not stroke egos and overpay.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to talk about all these other players in the league that might want to take a pay cut to play for a contender, but at the same time, throw more money at Hedo than is needed? Why should Hedo not be willing to take a small cut to play for a contender?

4 @ 36 isn't far off from 5 @ 50. Heck, if Otis makes it 4 @ 40, then you are talking about a difference of one year, and that's it. If Hedo wants to win a ring, that is his best chance. If he wants to get paid, then I have no problems watching him follow the money, whether or not we get something in return.

quote:
4 @ 36 isn't far off from 5 @ 50. Heck, if Otis makes it 4 @ 40, then you are talking about a difference of one year, and that's it. If Hedo wants to win a ring, that is his best chance. If he wants to get paid, then I have no problems watching him follow the money, whether or not we get something in return.

I agree. Negotiations like this have to be ruled with the head and not the heart.

Hedo is just looking to cash in on realistically his last long term deal. Not to mention his percieved rise in stature in the league because of his better play.

The Magic are a business that are looking to save money, while keeping their level of play at a championship level.

IMO, Portland is still two or three years away from contending in the West, while we are on the cusp of a ring. I think the 4/36 mil offer is very fair. But Hedo has every right to search for him and his family and good luck to him.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

You know, something else to consider here:

Lewis was offered his contract before this team blew up the rest of the league and fought their way out of the second round, and (the next season) into the NBA finals. We were not a big free agent magnet at the time.

Now we are coming off of a finals run, making big moves, and players who want a ring more than anything else are seriously considering playing for Orlando.

All things being equal, and ignoring the fact that Lewis was overpaid regardless of the situation, Orlando is now a better product, so shouldn't Hedo's contract me less?

Playing for a title has value. It's extra incentive for a player that truly wants to win a ring. Make no mistakes about it, that is this teams goal. If you want money over a ring, then this team is leaving you behind. The time is now to make a move and win the championship, not stroke egos and overpay.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to talk about all these other players in the league that might want to take a pay cut to play for a contender, but at the same time, throw more money at Hedo than is needed? Why should Hedo not be willing to take a small cut to play for a contender?

Yeah hell get alot of money i don't think he cares about a championship like the fans do. Hes gets paid regardless.

Edit: and when you make that much money whats the difference between 9 mil and 10 mil a year?

Hedo definitely should get the money he deserves. Lewis was overpaid but im glad we have him. Now that we have Carter who can create his own shot and is a scoring threat from anywhere and Howard owning the paint leaves the best 3pt shooter maker in the NBA wide open for 3s and Nelson as well. Were more balanced now.