Sign in to follow this  
Charlius

The Meer Effect

quote:
Originally posted by Charlius:

Look, I don't wanna cause any arguments and polarize the message board.

Have you SEEN these boards before? There is nothing you could do to depolarize them.

quote:

Bucktown, I actually think your idea has merit with Jameer actually starting.

Clubmed, I can see where you're coming from, I really do. But one thing to note, Hedo's best assist performances come when his offense is on. He usually needs to get his own stride going, feel good about himself, then be able to effectively create for others. With Jameer taking off the ball-handling load, Hedo can better start up his offense looking for his own, then go from there. Right after Jameer went down and before Alston arrived, Hedo's ball handling burden was huge, he was our point-forward. I must remind you, that was NOT a pretty sight to behold for the majority of the game.

Hedo's versatility to be able to play that point forward is great and dangerous weapon for us. But to have rely on it for the whole game is far from recommended.

Fear the meer.

-Charlius-

I am not on a different channel, I agree with you, (mostly)

What I am trying to say is, we overcame a well organized, experienced Celtics, overcame an athlethic, young Sixers, overcame LeBron and his sidekicks. This is the team that did all those.

Lakers are not any different than the Cavs. another one man army. Kobe took 34 shots. If they are gonna beat us with that, let em.

but now we know how to deal with so called superstars. The road to do that is not using a rusty PG who would want to establish himself infront the very eyes of the world. I have nothing against Meer, just that it is very dangerous to use him at this point.

I hope he plays well and gets the magic the cup, I am more than willing to eat my words. But it looks like a far fetched dream.

Meer is a dangerous weapon if you dont use him you ll be sorry, if you use him, he ll come back and shoot you at the foot.

One more thing I am very impressed by AJ's concentration.

we didnt make wide open shots. simple as that and if we did it would open up space for howard. Just one of those games when everyone is off. Look at it this way, early in the game when we hit, we were taking them to the cleaners, when they all went cold the lead just wiped away. You have to hit open shots.

That said they have to step it up on defense. Lakers were shooting the lights out.

quote:

Hey all, I know everyone is down after our Game1 blowout loss and that some are even saying that it was Jameer's fault (NBAMagic47), thus I wanted to say a few things and pose a few questions.

The thread created by NBAMagic47 (Activating Jameer will cost the Magic the series) was actually not the first time I had heard someone say something like that. My friend's dad was having a conversation with some other people and said that they were thinking that Jameer might be affecting the chemistry of the team and that, get this..we should've stuck with AJ.

OK......think about that..AJ, are you SERIOUSLY going to go with AJ over even a 50% Jameer?? AJ has had his moments, but come on..

The whole Jameer affecting our chemistry concept is ridiculous. He must be a pretty powerful influence for our whole team to suck eggs like that..man. But on to more concrete examples. It was said that Alston was neg. affected by having Jameer play the whole second quarter. Well, he wasn't exactly Jason Kidd in teh first quarter even before Jameer came in. Plain and simple, the whole team wasn't doing that great. It was not Jameer's fault. In addition, it seems to me that Alston and Jameer have great chemistry personally already (see Game 6 Eastern Finals trophy presentation). On top of that, Alston came to Orlando ALREADY knowing beforehand that this was Jameer's team and Jameer's job, and that he was just keeping the seat warm for him. I really can't seriously think Alston is being affected by Jameer's coming back.

Jameer was actually tearing it up when he first came in. He was relaxed, let the game come to him and had some NICE assists. He moved the ball great. During that stretch, it made me realize what this team has been missing in his absence. Our offense looks a lot better when he's got it going, and remember, was what made our team go before he got injured.

Let's say Jameer is causing some kinks/a new adjustment period. I say it'd be worth it b/c with him reaching his potential, we're ****ed near unstoppable. I look for a bounceback in game 2 and for Jameer to be INTEGRAL throughout the series.

Oh yea, so some questions I want to ask you guys specifically:

1) Do you think Jameer is rusty?

2) Is he negatively affecting Alston/team

3) Will Jameer's activation cost the Magic the series

OK, after having typed that..NBAMagic47, I've never called anyone out before, but that is TRULY the impetus of a knee jerk reaction after a loss. Nothing personal, I definitely don't want any flame wars to start up or anything.

Alright, on to a game 2 victory my magic faithful!!

-Charlius-

Very good post - I agree with all. I think Jameer is a little rusty, but you still go with him - that is our best chance to win this series. Someone is going to backup Alston and I'd go with Jameer over AJ if Jameer is feeling good. Jameer does need to get aggressive again as that is when he plays best. I didn't think he was that aggressive last night.

I would like Stan to tell Jameer to be aggressive and look to score when he is in there - that is when he is at his best. He is less effective when he isn't being aggressive. It is the NBA Finals and Jameer needs to score if he is in there. He maybe thinking that he shouldn't be going out there looking to score a lot since he just got back, but he needs to score and as a result he gets more assists.

I think that if you play jameer u should give him as many min. as he can handle. he is a threat out there the lakers really respect his game thats y he was able to make those passes.when skip is in they leave him wide open.after watchin the game again this mornin jameer was findin guys wide open shots we just couldnt knock them down. no matter who plays we have to come out with more focus and energy, and I believe we will it kind of feels good that everyone is doubting the magic again it was wierd when the media was givin them credit

Knappy - wholeheartedly agree.

That wasn't the same Jameer we had before the injury..but it's not due to what a lot of people might be thinking.

Knappy, you're right. He was not agressive. He was playing quite timidly, though he did have a great first stretch. He needs to get agressive again! His timidness has to be coming from the 4 month basketball hiatus. It's a problem with the mindset. And again, it makes perfect sense. He doesn't want to try and force things and take a lot of shots after he's been absent for 4 months.

After seeing him in game 1, I think Jameer's fine physically. He was moving just fine. There were some jumpers he released that were really short, and that just screams timidness. So I don't think Jameer's been affected by the 4 month break physically as much as mentally. More so 'mental rust'. Hopefully, if we're gonna continue to use him, we need to tell him to get agressive again, b/c as Knappy has pointed out, that is when not only he, but the magic are at their best.

This was the issue earlier when Jameer was trying to be the 'pass-first-PG'. He was doing it fine, but it took away from his agressiveness and was not nearly as effective. He made the switch back to playing naturally and he gets onto the all-star team. It's no coincidence.

-Charlius-

quote:
Originally posted by ClubMed:

quote:

Bucktown, I actually think your idea has merit with Jameer actually starting.

Clubmed, I can see where you're coming from, I really do. But one thing to note, Hedo's best assist performances come when his offense is on. He usually needs to get his own stride going, feel good about himself, then be able to effectively create for others. With Jameer taking off the ball-handling load, Hedo can better start up his offense looking for his own, then go from there. Right after Jameer went down and before Alston arrived, Hedo's ball handling burden was huge, he was our point-forward. I must remind you, that was NOT a pretty sight to behold for the majority of the game.

Hedo's versatility to be able to play that point forward is great and dangerous weapon for us. But to have rely on it for the whole game is far from recommended.

Fear the meer.

-Charlius-

I am not on a different channel, I agree with you, (mostly)

What I am trying to say is, we overcame a well organized, experienced Celtics, overcame an athlethic, young Sixers, overcame LeBron and his sidekicks. This is the team that did all those.

Lakers are not any different than the Cavs. another one man army. Kobe took 34 shots. If they are gonna beat us with that, let em.

but now we know how to deal with so called superstars. The road to do that is not using a rusty PG who would want to establish himself infront the very eyes of the world. I have nothing against Meer, just that it is very dangerous to use him at this point.

I hope he plays well and gets the magic the cup, I am more than willing to eat my words. But it looks like a far fetched dream.

Meer is a dangerous weapon if you dont use him you ll be sorry, if you use him, he ll come back and shoot you at the foot.

One more thing I am very impressed by AJ's concentration.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the Lakers being the same as the Cavs. If we compare superstars (lebron, kobe) Kobe is better. But then again..that's debatable. What isn't debatable is that the Lakers have a MUCH better supporting cast than the Cavs. The thing is, outside of Lebron, they don't have any size or athleticism on the perimeter. Do they have a Trevor Ariza? I think it was Charles who said it best when he said that all they have on the perimeter were a bunch of midgets. Delonte West would seem to exemplify this best. And he was at the SG position.

The Lakers have good size and length in all their positions. When we look at their frontcourts, the Lakers again come out on top. Cavs have Varejao and Ilgauskus. OK, we already know that Varejao compromises the defense by taking himself out of the play vis-a-vis constant floppage. When he wasn't flopping, he was shooing ugly jumpers. Ilgauskus, very unathletic. Not super active on the boards. + side=can hit the jumper..but is that really the number one thing you want your center to be able to do??

I remember reading a post from a Cavs fan that someone here gave us the link to. That fan was disgruntled with his team and was gonna commit suicide. While being a bit overdramatic, he did make the good point/rant that the Cavs frontcourt is the least athletic in the NBA. I'm gonna have to agree with that.

When we look at the Lakers, they have Odom, Bynum and Gasol. 'Nuff said. Gasol and Odom can hit the J, they all have good size, are active. Though Kobe may be the number one player on that squad, don't confuse them with the Cavs. This is not a one man army.

Don't worry. We won't shoot that badly forever, and conversely, the Lakers won't be shooting that well forever either. You do have to give the Lakers D some credit, but I saw it more as the Magic just missing shots we usually make. Could the Magic actually, possibly be being affected by the 'big stage fright' that the talking heads mentioned on ABC? I didn't think so at the time, but now..

-Charlius-

This is a classic case of "we didn't show up to play", so let's see who we can blame for the loss. Jameer coming back is the easiest person to blame. He played great for being out. He did better than anything AJ could've contributed to the game. Rafer might've been affected by seeing Jameer play good in the second quarter that he missed so much in the second half.

I think Rafer struggled in the third quarter because of how long he sat out! Doesn't have anything to do with Jameer playing instead of A.J., it has to do with SVG being a bonehead with his rotation/minutes again.

You try to play well at the rec center if you play the whole 1st quarter, and then cool off through the whole 2nd quarter AND halftime.

Here's what SVG should do, of course subject to change due to someone getting hot, but this should be the general plan:

Rafer starts and plays the 1st quarter.

Jameer plays this first 6 minutes of the 2nd.

Rafer finishes the half.

Rafer plays the whole 3rd quarter.

Jameer plays at least the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter. If he's red hot with his game, then ride that horse. If he's not, then play Rafer down the stretch of the game.

Playing ANY bench guy for an entire quarter is just a bad idea 90% of the time or more. You're gonna throw the starter completely off his game if you do that more times than not, duh.

ok can we stop with jameer's injury already he's not injured anymore he is a 100% healed. His chances of getting reinjured are the same now as they will be a year from now. He is just rusty and slow and still outplayed johnson. He'll get better as the series progresses how much no one will know, but he will get better.

Skywise, your rotation minutes looks like a good idea to me.

I do agree that SVG may have messed up Alston a bit with having Jameer in the whole 2nd quarter. But that would be entirely out of the realm of the 'Jameer negatively affecting Alston chemistry-wise' realm. Bright side - SVG admitted that error and promises to learn from it.

As the series progresses however, and if Jameer continues to get back into form, I would still like to see Jameer come back to the starter's role.

Game2 however, I say we go with Sky's rotation.

Missing the stock up and down's Sky.

-Charlius-