Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Howard Suspended for Game 6

quote:
Originally posted by bballbabe:

Interesting. On Mike and Mike's show Stu Jackson just said that Dwight would have been suspended even if he had been ejected last game. So, it was pretty big that they did not eject him. Imagine if we had lost him then and for game 6.

Is this the same Stu Jackson who ignored Garnetts blatant elbow to Zaza and Pushing a ref? I guess when KG does it, its intensity of a playoff series, but with Dwight, it is him simply being a thug.

Should Dwight have been ejected during the game? If he connected, which the videotape seems to indicate, then yes he should have. The fact that the refs only gave him a technical makes me believe that the refs either thought he did not connect; or realized they had blown the call with Dalembert mugging him, and decided to "let it go" with a warning since there was no injury to the Sixers player. For the NBA to retro-actively up the severity of the "foul", and suspend him might be an understandable decision. However, to say that play was somehow more egregious than the assault Rondo made on Brad Miller is so ridiculous as to defy any definition of common sense.

Let's see, Rondo stopped a tying bucket by hitting a man 100 pounds heavier than himself with sufficient force to knock out teeth, cause him to bleed profusely from the mouth, and leave him looking dazed and confused. The video shows he had no play on the ball, in fact he was 2 or 2 1/2 feet from the ball. He admits that he was intentionally fouling during post-game interviews, and yet, he is called for a regular foul - not even a flagrant. The same league officials that decided to suspend Dwight don't even up Rondo's foul to flagrant status because he didn't wind-up, and there was no follow through. I think someone might want to ask Brad Miller if he felt there wasn't any "follow through". Finally, do you think Brad wouldn't have preferred to be on the receiving end of Dwight's elbow graze, rather than Rondo's mugging? I don't think anyone would take odds on which he would prefer.

I don't assume that it is Boston vs. Orlando player, as so many of you seem to do. I think it has more to do with the fact that the NBA doesn't do enough to protect it's big men. If any shooting guard in the league had swung the elbow with as little effect, and any center/power forward had made the hack, does anyone honestly think the front office decisions would have been the same? Just look at the number of "touch fouls" you get in every game on the perimeter, while guys that play the post are getting mugged on every play with half as many calls being made. Two hands in the back inside is supposed to be an "automatic" foul, and yet it happens to the better bigs in the league on almost every play.

The replays were very clear and that elbow hit him pretty hard on the head. I don't think Dwight Howard meant to elbow him, I don't think he thought his wing span was that big or he was anywhere close. This is a no contact league and I think he deserved the suspension. However, the team did not deserve to be without him.