Sign in to follow this  
Matthew  McFarland

Best Pickup Ball in Town?

I would like to get an idea of where the good pickup ball in town is in your opinion. I will list what i know with locations, skill level, days, and times. Feel free to add to the list. I know if you love to play, you have been frustrated at some point with not having anywhere decent to go.

1. Engelwood Neighborhood Center. Sunday mornings. Skill level needs to be very high. If you don't know anyone or don't go up with a group then do not expect to get the ball.

2. Downtown YMCA. Monday-Fri from 11:00am-1:00pm. Then again at 4:00pm-7:00pm. This is my favorite location. on Mondays a crowd of anywhere from 20-50 show for both mornings and afternoon session. Skill level is high. Much more fundamental than most pickup games. Only downside is you need to be a member (1st time is free though). Also runs a good men's league with 10+ teams.

3. UCF Outdoor courts. Good in evening once the sun begins to drop. Skill level varies.

4. Pegasus Connection (UCF Apartments). Good tues and thurs night. Only a 1/2 court, but ususlly packed playing 3 vs 3.

5. Heard LA Fitness can be good but usually a bunch of meat heads with short tempers.

Anyone else have anywhere to add? Would love to see some of you out on the court someday.

I would like to get an idea of where the good pickup ball in town is in your opinion. I will list what i know with locations, skill level, days, and times. Feel free to add to the list. I know if you love to play, you have been frustrated at some point with not having anywhere decent to go.

1. Engelwood Neighborhood Center. Sunday mornings. Skill level needs to be very high. If you don't know anyone or don't go up with a group then do not expect to get the ball.

2. Downtown YMCA. Monday-Fri from 11:00am-1:00pm. Then again at 4:00pm-7:00pm. This is my favorite location. on Mondays a crowd of anywhere from 20-50 show for both mornings and afternoon session. Skill level is high. Much more fundamental than most pickup games. Only downside is you need to be a member (1st time is free though). Also runs a good men's league with 10+ teams.

3. UCF Outdoor courts. Good in evening once the sun begins to drop. Skill level varies.

4. Pegasus Connection (UCF Apartments). Good tues and thurs night. Only a 1/2 court, but ususlly packed playing 3 vs 3.

5. Heard LA Fitness can be good but usually a bunch of meat heads with short tempers.

Anyone else have anywhere to add? Would love to see some of you out on the court someday.

There is a site that a guy made for his team in Orlando and on that site he goes through many courts and the style of play on those courts. I will try to remember the site, but if you are looking for competitive ball, join a b-ball league and maybe you can get on a team.

I use to have a team, but the drama from teammates made me go into semi retirement.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

I heard some members of this message ball somewhere near the RDV. Skill level: Sky high.

unbelievably sky high, almost as fun as watching a Magic game

Yea. i already have a team in the Downtown Y league. I have played in the RDV league once last summer and it was ridiculous how good it was, only problem is that it is very expensive to get a team in. I was looking mainly for pickup ball locations. Thanks for the replies!

Best pickup ball I've played is UCF in the gym...if you know someone that goes there u can get in as a guest...otherwise its mostly students or i think u can get a membership

not Blanchard Park, I can attest to the lower level of competition out there...if you want to just run 5 on 5's it's not bad for exercise, but it's not the best competition...the Oviedo rec center isn't bad at all on Saturday mornings, it's $2 or $5 to play depending on the time of the year...I've played some good games out there...

quote:
Originally posted by avitale8:

Best pickup ball I've played is UCF in the gym...if you know someone that goes there u can get in as a guest...otherwise its mostly students or i think u can get a membership

Telfair and Darrius Washington once went head to head in the UCF gym.

Im a current UCF student and do get some good runs in there. its iffy though. It's usually good around 1:30 till 4:00 or so. It seems to be hit or miss though, sometimes it's great, other times it just people out there running around. I will try the Oviedo Rec on Saturdays. Thanks!

yea, it does kinda depend on what times u go...and usually theres games going on on 2 courts...1 usually being higher skill level...

but on average its pretty good