Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

Did anyone see something that resembled an adjustment?

LOL, I sure as heck didn't. I was thinking about the article that BJ posted earlier in the day as I watched the game. In it Hill (or maybe it was just Denton speculating on possible adjustments) mentioned a few ideas that could be done differently in game 2.

The only things that I saw in this game was Trevor got meaningful minutes (which should have been a no-brainer in game 1) and a very soft zone defense that the Pistons ate up. I've seen the Magic attempt to play zone on numerious occasions this season and with the exception of the rare possession it always ends in a easy shot attempt for our opponents. I seriously think if there were a rating for zone defense we would be the worst in the league. The Pistons have four guys that shoot the 3 point shot well and Webber is excellent midrange shooter. On top of that they are all exceptional passers. Why in the world did Brian Hill think this was going to work?

Jameer Nelson can not cover Chauncey Billups under any circumstances. Let me repeat that just in case Brian Hill actually reads this: Jameer Nelson can not cover Chauncey Billups under any circumstances. A play in the 4th quarter sums it up perfectly. The Pistons had the ball and nothing in the possession was really available. The ball was passed to Billups at the top of the key. Jameer was right in his face and with about 5 seconds left in the possession Billups simply jumped and shot right over Jameer. It was a back breaking possession when the Magic were trying to build momentum and it perfectly illustrates how hopeless the starting pg matchup is. Carlos Arroyo played brilliantly both offensively and defensively (I know I couldn't believe it either) in the early part of the 4th quarter but was inexplicably taken out during crunch time. I don't think Dooling covered Billups the entire game except for maybe the occasional switch. Wasn't that suppose to be one of the big adjustments coming into this game?

Tony Battie has a good a chance of covering Rasheed Wallace as Jameer does against Billups. This is two straight games that I've had to watch Rasheed torch Battie and then struggle against Darko. Then I had to listen to Kenny Smith tell us that the Magic had no answer for Wallace. I could barely hear him as I smacked my head repeatedly into my coffee table. These two matchups are consistently putting us in a hole in the 1st and 3rd quarters that are too much to overcome despite the valiant efforts from our reserves.

For the love of God, can we please have another shooter in the game with Hedo so Dwight will have some space to operate? I'm sick and tired of hearing the announcers say "This is a learning experience for Dwight" or "Dwight seems a little tenative tonight" while the ENTIRE Pistons team sags down into the paint hacking at the ball.

I don't expect us to win this series. I actually will be incredibly impressed if we win a single game. It just makes me sick to my stomach to know that there are things we could do to make this series more competitive and we aren't doing them.

LOL, I sure as heck didn't. I was thinking about the article that BJ posted earlier in the day as I watched the game. In it Hill (or maybe it was just Denton speculating on possible adjustments) mentioned a few ideas that could be done differently in game 2.

The only things that I saw in this game was Trevor got meaningful minutes (which should have been a no-brainer in game 1) and a very soft zone defense that the Pistons ate up. I've seen the Magic attempt to play zone on numerious occasions this season and with the exception of the rare possession it always ends in a easy shot attempt for our opponents. I seriously think if there were a rating for zone defense we would be the worst in the league. The Pistons have four guys that shoot the 3 point shot well and Webber is excellent midrange shooter. On top of that they are all exceptional passers. Why in the world did Brian Hill think this was going to work?

Jameer Nelson can not cover Chauncey Billups under any circumstances. Let me repeat that just in case Brian Hill actually reads this: Jameer Nelson can not cover Chauncey Billups under any circumstances. A play in the 4th quarter sums it up perfectly. The Pistons had the ball and nothing in the possession was really available. The ball was passed to Billups at the top of the key. Jameer was right in his face and with about 5 seconds left in the possession Billups simply jumped and shot right over Jameer. It was a back breaking possession when the Magic were trying to build momentum and it perfectly illustrates how hopeless the starting pg matchup is. Carlos Arroyo played brilliantly both offensively and defensively (I know I couldn't believe it either) in the early part of the 4th quarter but was inexplicably taken out during crunch time. I don't think Dooling covered Billups the entire game except for maybe the occasional switch. Wasn't that suppose to be one of the big adjustments coming into this game?

Tony Battie has a good a chance of covering Rasheed Wallace as Jameer does against Billups. This is two straight games that I've had to watch Rasheed torch Battie and then struggle against Darko. Then I had to listen to Kenny Smith tell us that the Magic had no answer for Wallace. I could barely hear him as I smacked my head repeatedly into my coffee table. These two matchups are consistently putting us in a hole in the 1st and 3rd quarters that are too much to overcome despite the valiant efforts from our reserves.

For the love of God, can we please have another shooter in the game with Hedo so Dwight will have some space to operate? I'm sick and tired of hearing the announcers say "This is a learning experience for Dwight" or "Dwight seems a little tenative tonight" while the ENTIRE Pistons team sags down into the paint hacking at the ball.

I don't expect us to win this series. I actually will be incredibly impressed if we win a single game. It just makes me sick to my stomach to know that there are things we could do to make this series more competitive and we aren't doing them.

you guys know everytime sheed drained a shot they were in a zone most of the time and who was rotating to him? umm dwight, who can't get too far from the basket even if it means 3 for the bad guys. As for adjustments, bhill did the closest thing I could see by playing arroyo and dooling in the backcourt for a good part of the 2nd quarter, too bad he pretty much completely abandoned that mindset in the second half.

quote:
Originally posted by D-Guy:

you guys know everytime sheed drained a shot they were in a zone most of the time and who was rotating to him? umm dwight, who can't get too far from the basket even if it means 3 for the bad guys. As for adjustments, bhill did the closest thing I could see by playing arroyo and dooling in the backcourt for a good part of the 2nd quarter, too bad he pretty much completely abandoned that mindset in the second half.

The 3s Rasheed made in the first quarter were on Battie. Battie leaves him open to play some help defense, which isn't smart since Rasheed was the only one making shots.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

The only adjustment I saw was 7 more minutes for Ariza. Everything else looked nearly identical to the first game.

Ariza looked like a deer in headlights. Hopefully being at home is going to help his game. His shots were woefully off tonight.

I would love to see him, Howard, and Hill on the break more often. But seeing as how we don't fastbreak, I guess that won't happen.

If we don't win a game Brian Hill should be fired..

..we are perfectly capable of defending this team, I agree completely - where were the adjustments?? You're right! Hardly any tonight. Same old story..

Our starting 5 is brutal to watch. In both games it looked like we'd be lucky to hit 80 and then we come on strong a bit at the end of the 4th to make it seem close..

That's what's really frustrating - our guys can turn it on and off and yet our coaches can't seem to figure out how to get us into a complete game. Our three major problems: passing, free throws, turnovers- all very coachable, some would say they are the only things you can coach.. and yet, here we are. Same problems every game.

I believed in Brian Hill, but now I don't. I'm not sure winning a couple games this series will change my mind..

This team is an embarassment. And I love this team, so I'm not trying to hate on them. But it's a flat out embarassment when your problems our so clear, so vivid and in slow motion - and nothing is being done to alter the course..

ness

Our starting Five for game 3 should be:

Darko

Howard

Turk/Ariza

Hill

Arroyo

Seriously..

I would just eliminate Nelson if I were coaching this team.. Battie can have some minutes, just don't start him.

I put Ariza next to Turk only to say I think they deserve the same minutes and I could care less who starts. Turk has been hot, but Ariza can be just as valuable and we can put him at the 4 with Turk for crying out loud..

..obviously not gonna happen..

quote:
Originally posted by lemonice1:

I think I saw Jameer adjust his jock once. That's the only adjustment I saw during the game.

LMAO Lemon, I think I saw that as well. I was checking out the pistons thread about the game & there were some people on their saying how they hate dooling and they dont understand why we dont play him more. They obviously dont know that we have Napolean as a coach and he only puts dooling it when jameer needs another jock adjustment.