Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Hoopsworld chat with Anthony Macri

quote:
KG in Boston, MA:

We exposed the Magic as soft imposters. Why don't all you media types get off their bandwagon while you still can?

Anthony Macri:

KG, I think the same could have been said about you guys back on Christmas day against the Lakers. The season is a long one. I, and many other folks who watch games, feel that Orlando has proven they at least belong in the conversation. You shouldn't be worried about what I think though. Instead, you should be worried about how many minutes the Big Three are logging this year. Wouldn't want you to tucker out in the playoffs this season to a team like Orlando ;-).

quote:
Tre in Oakland:

who are the best "shooting" point guards in the NBA, not based on percentages. Bibby? Nash? Calderon?

Anthony Macri:

I don't think you can go wrong with Nash, Calderon, or Jameer Nelson. Bibby is in that next tier or two.

quote:
David in Beijing, China:

I know the Magic lost two games in a row, but I think the Heat loss was due to a Celtic "hangover." What do you see happening this week against Cleveland? Also, I love your picture, because it makes you look really intelligent.

Anthony Macri:

This is a hiccup for the Magic. They are built to continue to have a very good season. In fact, I think they will end up with the Eastern Conference's best record when it's all said and done. I think Orlando spreads out the Cavaliers defense and that SVG is too good a coach to let the Cavs pull a Celtics on his team.

quote:
Will in Orlando:

Hey Coach,you worked with Courtney Lee,he seems to be a very good defender but do you think he can become a consistent scorer 15pg.

Anthony Macri:

It all depends on opportunity for him. If a team asked him to score between 12 and 15 per, I think he could do that, absolutely. However, right now, he's not being asked to do that, and I think he has proven pretty valuable to the Magic as it stands. I definitely think he could be a starting shooting guard for a championship-caliber team if the players around him are strong enough. He has a really solid NBA career ahead of him!

quote:
Ivan in Phil:

The magic is filled with lots of off guards. With the exception of peitrus, who do you think will be move first? bogans, reddick?

Anthony Macri:

I thought a few weeks ago they were putting Reddick out on display. Now I'm not sure they want to move him because he gives them something as a shooter. Ultimately, I think it is more of a case of trying to identify what they really need, then seeing if they have a piece that the trade partner really wants/needs. No point in making a deal just to make one--they are already pretty darn good as it is!

quote:
Lee Liu in Carson:

Out of the top four teams (cavs lakers celtics magic) who is most likely to make a trade and who would it be?

Anthony Macri:

I think the Magic are the most likely to make a deal, not that I think it's necessarily a good idea. They have a glut of wing guards and need a backup point guard and a rugged enforcer. We'll see what happens.

quote:
Paul in Gainesville, Fla.:

Hey Coach, glad you're here! Was wondering your thoughts on J.J. Redick since you are fresh. Coach Moreau says he'll be a big liability, especially in the playoffs. Would you be giving him minutes right now over Bogans and Lee? Does he fit?

Anthony Macri:

I would definitely give him minutes over Bogans, especially if you are shopping him. I would not give him minutes over Lee, C.Lee gives you more on both ends than J.J. I'm not sure he's quite the liability that Coach Moreau believes, but he doesn't help you on that end, and unless he is really firing offensively, there isn't much he gives you that Lee can't on the offensive end either. I'd rather have a solid back-up point guard on that team than J.J. right now, personally.

quote:
Tim in Orlando:

Courtney Lee's ceiling?

Anthony Macri:

Starter on a playoff team, 6th man on a championship team. If he continues to work and get better, it could be a little higher but that is pretty darn good.

quote:
Tyler in St Louis, MO:

As a coach of the game, is it your opinion that the Orlando Magic can win a championship as currently constructed (especially with Rashard Lewis as the primary 4?)

Anthony Macri:

Difficult but not impossible. They are pretty good defensively as it stands right now and offensively they can really stretch you out. The problem is on the backboard. Pat Riley said that rebounding = rings, and the Magic are just not a great rebounding team. They would likely be better if Courtney could come off the bench and they got the best rebounding two guard they could find to help on that front (any suggestions?).

quote:
Tyler in St Louis, MO:

He's been injured a bit this season, but what is your read on Mickeal Pietrus? Will he ever realize his potential? What is his ceiling?

Anthony Macri:

I have a good friend here at IMG Academies who loves Pietrus. He is one of the few players I have trouble grasping exactly how good he is (or isn't). I think he could be good, but it might be his standout athleticism making him look better than he is. I want to see more when he gets back on the floor. The real question is can he wrestle that job away from Courtney Lee!

quote:
Dwight Howard in Orlando, FL:

Critics say I am just brute force in the low post with no go to moves. Now I ask you, "Is it wrong to be strong"?

Anthony Macri:

Critics haven't seen the development of your face up jumper or baby spin to the baseline. I think, ultimately, it comes down to production. Superman, you produce. That's what matters in this coach's book.

quote:
KG in Boston, MA:

We exposed the Magic as soft imposters. Why don't all you media types get off their bandwagon while you still can?

Anthony Macri:

KG, I think the same could have been said about you guys back on Christmas day against the Lakers. The season is a long one. I, and many other folks who watch games, feel that Orlando has proven they at least belong in the conversation. You shouldn't be worried about what I think though. Instead, you should be worried about how many minutes the Big Three are logging this year. Wouldn't want you to tucker out in the playoffs this season to a team like Orlando ;-).

quote:
Tre in Oakland:

who are the best "shooting" point guards in the NBA, not based on percentages. Bibby? Nash? Calderon?

Anthony Macri:

I don't think you can go wrong with Nash, Calderon, or Jameer Nelson. Bibby is in that next tier or two.

quote:
David in Beijing, China:

I know the Magic lost two games in a row, but I think the Heat loss was due to a Celtic "hangover." What do you see happening this week against Cleveland? Also, I love your picture, because it makes you look really intelligent.

Anthony Macri:

This is a hiccup for the Magic. They are built to continue to have a very good season. In fact, I think they will end up with the Eastern Conference's best record when it's all said and done. I think Orlando spreads out the Cavaliers defense and that SVG is too good a coach to let the Cavs pull a Celtics on his team.

quote:
Will in Orlando:

Hey Coach,you worked with Courtney Lee,he seems to be a very good defender but do you think he can become a consistent scorer 15pg.

Anthony Macri:

It all depends on opportunity for him. If a team asked him to score between 12 and 15 per, I think he could do that, absolutely. However, right now, he's not being asked to do that, and I think he has proven pretty valuable to the Magic as it stands. I definitely think he could be a starting shooting guard for a championship-caliber team if the players around him are strong enough. He has a really solid NBA career ahead of him!

quote:
Ivan in Phil:

The magic is filled with lots of off guards. With the exception of peitrus, who do you think will be move first? bogans, reddick?

Anthony Macri:

I thought a few weeks ago they were putting Reddick out on display. Now I'm not sure they want to move him because he gives them something as a shooter. Ultimately, I think it is more of a case of trying to identify what they really need, then seeing if they have a piece that the trade partner really wants/needs. No point in making a deal just to make one--they are already pretty darn good as it is!

quote:
Lee Liu in Carson:

Out of the top four teams (cavs lakers celtics magic) who is most likely to make a trade and who would it be?

Anthony Macri:

I think the Magic are the most likely to make a deal, not that I think it's necessarily a good idea. They have a glut of wing guards and need a backup point guard and a rugged enforcer. We'll see what happens.

quote:
Paul in Gainesville, Fla.:

Hey Coach, glad you're here! Was wondering your thoughts on J.J. Redick since you are fresh. Coach Moreau says he'll be a big liability, especially in the playoffs. Would you be giving him minutes right now over Bogans and Lee? Does he fit?

Anthony Macri:

I would definitely give him minutes over Bogans, especially if you are shopping him. I would not give him minutes over Lee, C.Lee gives you more on both ends than J.J. I'm not sure he's quite the liability that Coach Moreau believes, but he doesn't help you on that end, and unless he is really firing offensively, there isn't much he gives you that Lee can't on the offensive end either. I'd rather have a solid back-up point guard on that team than J.J. right now, personally.

quote:
Tim in Orlando:

Courtney Lee's ceiling?

Anthony Macri:

Starter on a playoff team, 6th man on a championship team. If he continues to work and get better, it could be a little higher but that is pretty darn good.

quote:
Tyler in St Louis, MO:

As a coach of the game, is it your opinion that the Orlando Magic can win a championship as currently constructed (especially with Rashard Lewis as the primary 4?)

Anthony Macri:

Difficult but not impossible. They are pretty good defensively as it stands right now and offensively they can really stretch you out. The problem is on the backboard. Pat Riley said that rebounding = rings, and the Magic are just not a great rebounding team. They would likely be better if Courtney could come off the bench and they got the best rebounding two guard they could find to help on that front (any suggestions?).

quote:
Tyler in St Louis, MO:

He's been injured a bit this season, but what is your read on Mickeal Pietrus? Will he ever realize his potential? What is his ceiling?

Anthony Macri:

I have a good friend here at IMG Academies who loves Pietrus. He is one of the few players I have trouble grasping exactly how good he is (or isn't). I think he could be good, but it might be his standout athleticism making him look better than he is. I want to see more when he gets back on the floor. The real question is can he wrestle that job away from Courtney Lee!

quote:
Dwight Howard in Orlando, FL:

Critics say I am just brute force in the low post with no go to moves. Now I ask you, "Is it wrong to be strong"?

Anthony Macri:

Critics haven't seen the development of your face up jumper or baby spin to the baseline. I think, ultimately, it comes down to production. Superman, you produce. That's what matters in this coach's book.