Sign in to follow this  
PEC

20 years of coach's

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

i did it in my head first, but i forgot richie adubato.

1 Matt Guokas 1989

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

No_Ma'am covered the other questions...

Best coach, easy, Chuck Daly. The mistake was not hiring him 5 years earlier and waisting the Shaq/Penny team on Napoleon.

SVG is easily the 2nd best coach we've had.

Guokas would be 3rd imo. Brilliant x's & o's coach, but was horrible relating to the players, and his substitution patterns were even worse.

Ghost,

I have to disagree on the top pick. Chuck is a hall of famer and I would have loved to see him here earlier, Stan has not yet earned the right to be considered in Chuck's league.

With that said, I never felt Chuck put too much effort while he was here. He cashed in but I don't think his heart was in it. He was brought back from retirement and I think he saw Penny as his worst and just punched the clock for the most part.

Stan, on the other hand, has crafted a rotation that made advantages out of our weaknesses and his passion cannot be better documented than his near heart attack spins on the bench with a minute left on a blow-out win because someone didn't block-out on the post.

To say Chuck was our best coach because of his overal career would mean we have to start slotting in Patrick Ewing, Shawn Kemp, and Dominique Wilkins among our greates players even though they all played here when they were but a mere shadow of themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

No_Ma'am covered the other questions...

Best coach, easy, Chuck Daly. The mistake was not hiring him 5 years earlier and waisting the Shaq/Penny team on Napoleon.

SVG is easily the 2nd best coach we've had.

Guokas would be 3rd imo. Brilliant x's & o's coach, but was horrible relating to the players, and his substitution patterns were even worse.

Ghost,

I have to disagree on the top pick. Chuck is a hall of famer and I would have loved to see him here earlier, Stan has not yet earned the right to be considered in Chuck's league.

With that said, I never felt Chuck put too much effort while he was here. He cashed in but I don't think his heart was in it. He was brought back from retirement and I think he saw Penny as his worst and just punched the clock for the most part.

Stan, on the other hand, has crafted a rotation that made advantages out of our weaknesses and his passion cannot be better documented than his near heart attack spins on the bench with a minute left on a blow-out win because someone didn't block-out on the post.

To say Chuck was our best coach because of his overal career would mean we have to start slotting in Patrick Ewing, Shawn Kemp, and Dominique Wilkins among our greates players even though they all played here when they were but a mere shadow of themselves.

I totally disagree with this assessment of Daly's tenure in Orlando.

First, he completely re-tooled the roster, and established a culture of defense & toughness almost overnight. For the first time ever in Orlando I might add. He exiled players like Siekly & 3D who played zero D, he turned Nicks career completely around for 2 years, and barely utilized players like DA, Outlaw, & Strong became very solid NBA players during his tenure. The Magic were a .500 team in his first year without Penny. We weren't a great team, but I thought he did a great job of coaching that team, and getting the most out of the talent we had.

Year #2 was the strike shortened season & the Magic spent nearly the entire season challenging for the top spot in the East until Penny decided getting stats as a SG was more important than winning games as the PG. That threw the entire rotation out of whack and ironically, Philly bounced us in the first round of the playoffs.

I say ironically because Daly lobbied very hard for a trade of Penny for Iverson that Phily put to us, but ownership would not sign off on it.

In the end, he was left saying I told you so after Penny single handedly destroyed that team, and then decided he needed a change of scenery following the season.