Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

ENVY- one of the deadly sins

First, I reject the entire notion of the "7 deadly sins". We have come to accept this as biblical truth when it is nothing more than the creation of a philosopher adopted by a Pope who's leadership sent man into the dark ages.

Back to your question, envy will only destroy you. Satisfaction comes from within. You'll never have everything & you could give some people everything, they will still be miserable, and they will still be failures. Which is precisely why 90% of millionaires created by the lottery are dead broke within 5 years!

This is from the thesaurus portion of dictionary.com:

Main Entry: envy

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: jealousy

Synonyms: backbiting, coveting, covetousness, enviousness, evil eye*, green-eyed monster*, grudge, grudging, grudgingness, hatred, heartburn, ill will, invidiousness, jaundiced eye, lusting, malevolence, malice, maliciousness, malignity, opposition, prejudice, resentfulness, resentment, rivalry, spite

Personally, I see nothing positive in any of this.

People tend to find it easier to create imaginary justification for their personal shortcomings, than to work to overcome them.

like anything, i don't think it's entirely bad or entirely good. If a person is born dirt poor and they are envious when they see all the rich people with their mansions and fancy care they will take one or two paths to get those things. They will either work hard or they will try to take it. The latter is the evil part and the former is the positive part.

The connotation of 'envy' is very negative, but i think it's a natural feeling. If i hear that someone wins the lottery, i'm envious of that person. Anyone who says they don't feel that way is full of it. It's human nature to want the best.