Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

ESPN - Daily Dime: Just Like the Coach Drew It Up

nba_g_turk_268.jpg

quote:
It was a gift from the heavens, and Stan Van Gundy knew it. The Orlando coach could hardly contain his glee after Hedo Turkoglu's contested, desperate fadeaway 3 banked in with 0.3 seconds left to cap a 109-108 comeback win in Portland.

"That was just brilliant, brilliant coaching down the stretch," said Van Gundy. "That is exactly the play we drew up, and we told him to shoot it off the glass if he could get the angle on it. That's exactly what we wanted, so I have to give myself all the credit."

Having cut an eight-point deficit to two, Orlando got the ball back with five seconds left and designed a play for Rashard Lewis or Jameer Nelson to get a shot. When neither came open, the final option was for the inbounder, Turkoglu, to throw it to Dwight Howard at the elbow, get it back and try to create a shot off the bounce. After a couple dribbles to his right, his leaning hoist from the top of the key caromed in to stun a raucous Rose Garden crowd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081210

nba_g_turk_268.jpg

quote:
It was a gift from the heavens, and Stan Van Gundy knew it. The Orlando coach could hardly contain his glee after Hedo Turkoglu's contested, desperate fadeaway 3 banked in with 0.3 seconds left to cap a 109-108 comeback win in Portland.

"That was just brilliant, brilliant coaching down the stretch," said Van Gundy. "That is exactly the play we drew up, and we told him to shoot it off the glass if he could get the angle on it. That's exactly what we wanted, so I have to give myself all the credit."

Having cut an eight-point deficit to two, Orlando got the ball back with five seconds left and designed a play for Rashard Lewis or Jameer Nelson to get a shot. When neither came open, the final option was for the inbounder, Turkoglu, to throw it to Dwight Howard at the elbow, get it back and try to create a shot off the bounce. After a couple dribbles to his right, his leaning hoist from the top of the key caromed in to stun a raucous Rose Garden crowd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081210

That was a very good Daily Dime, Marc Stein did a good job of giving everyone who deserved it their props, league wide. Last night was a fantastic NBA night.

That was the funniest thing last night. Van Gundy sure has a sense of humor icon_biggrin.gif

" "I'm sometimes not a very bright guy, and it took him to get to 30 [points] before I said, 'We can't contain him,'" Van Gundy said"

MA