Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Thunder fire Carlesimo; Brooks named interim coach

quote:
Thunder fire Carlesimo; Brooks named interim coach

Posted Nov 22 2008 12:45PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma City Thunder fired coach P.J. Carlesimo, with the team off to an NBA-worst 1-12 start in its new city.

Assistant Scott Brooks was appointed interim coach Saturday, hours after the Thunder lost their 10th straight game.

Related Story

Analysis: Players had tuned out Carlesimo

The Thunder, especially their young stable of lottery picks, had clearly given up on P.J. Carlesimo. For the last two weeks, they were merely going through the motions. Read Full Article

"This was a very difficult decision to make," general manager Sam Presti said in a statement. "It is one that I felt was necessary at this time. I am very appreciative of the hard work and effort that P.J. gave to this team and we wish him the best in his future endeavors."

The firing -- the first of an NBA coach this season -- followed a 105-80 defeat to the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night. The Hornets played for two seasons in Oklahoma City and rebuilt themselves into a playoff contender. A similar scenario hardly seemed in the making following the relocation of the Seattle SuperSonics to Oklahoma City.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/22/thunder.carlesimo.ap/index.html

They fired the coach but I don't think the coach was the reason. The team didn't want to relocate in the first place having to do so made them far worse then they were before. They aren't even a new team and yet they playing so terrible.

Looking at coach Carlismo's record, he hasn't been coaching the best teams because he's not that great of a coach either.

I'm happy for the guy. He was coaching a really young team that years from being even decent, and the best part is he can get his butt out of OKC.