Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Courtney Lee's Magical Contribution (Hoopsworld)

quote:
Adjusting from life as a college star at a mid-major program to a rookie in the NBA is about as easy solving a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. Doing so while learning to play a new position makes the task all the more daunting. Make the change to point guard, which is widely considered the most difficult and important, position on the floor and you find yourself in the shoes of Orlando Magic first round draft pick Courtney Lee.

After a stellar career at Western Kentucky, the Magic, as well as several other clubs, had their eye on the 6'5" shooting guard heading into the 2008 NBA Draft. Despite their best efforts on draft night, the Houston Rockets couldn't trade up to steal Lee out from underneath Orlando and Otis Smith, the Magic General Manager, got his guy with the 22nd pick overall.

A proven scorer, albeit against less than the best competition, at the college level, Lee also came into the NBA with the desire and ability to become a strong perimeter defender and head coach Stan Van Gundy has taken notice of his rookie's skills on both ends of the floor.

"I think he's sort of different from what you'd expect out of rookie guards," Van Gundy said, "because I think he's ahead at the defensive end of where he is at the offensive end and that's pretty rare in this league, particularly for guards. He's done a great job defensively, both on the ball and in our team concepts. He's just got to get more of a comfort level offensively because he's still a little bit tentative."

Edit: Sorry I need 4 paragraphs with a link for articles.

quote:
Adjusting from life as a college star at a mid-major program to a rookie in the NBA is about as easy solving a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. Doing so while learning to play a new position makes the task all the more daunting. Make the change to point guard, which is widely considered the most difficult and important, position on the floor and you find yourself in the shoes of Orlando Magic first round draft pick Courtney Lee.

After a stellar career at Western Kentucky, the Magic, as well as several other clubs, had their eye on the 6'5" shooting guard heading into the 2008 NBA Draft. Despite their best efforts on draft night, the Houston Rockets couldn't trade up to steal Lee out from underneath Orlando and Otis Smith, the Magic General Manager, got his guy with the 22nd pick overall.

A proven scorer, albeit against less than the best competition, at the college level, Lee also came into the NBA with the desire and ability to become a strong perimeter defender and head coach Stan Van Gundy has taken notice of his rookie's skills on both ends of the floor.

"I think he's sort of different from what you'd expect out of rookie guards," Van Gundy said, "because I think he's ahead at the defensive end of where he is at the offensive end and that's pretty rare in this league, particularly for guards. He's done a great job defensively, both on the ball and in our team concepts. He's just got to get more of a comfort level offensively because he's still a little bit tentative."

Edit: Sorry I need 4 paragraphs with a link for articles.

I think Lee's future is at SG. He could help at the 1 if no deal is made, but that shouldn't be an option.

Great article, good read about Little Country. Particularly liked this part:

"Now that I know he wants me to step it up on the offensive end . . .no problem! (smiling) I can definitely do a little more scoring."

Pretty rare for a rookie to be told he needs to focus more on offense.