Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

'No question' Magic GM Otis Smith wants Patrick Ewing back (Schmitz)

quote:
The Magic would love for assistant coach Patrick Ewing to return next season and help continue all-star C Dwight Howard's progress.

Ewing, in the final season of his contract with the Magic, has aspirations to be a head coach.

"We'd like Patrick to come back -- no question," General Manager Otis Smith said. "We like not just what he does with Dwight, but what he does for all of our guys."

quote:
Smith likes the continuity Ewing would provide for the 22-year-old Howard, plus the fact that Ewing doesn't allow for shortcuts.

"Patrick has been there, done that," Smith said. "So there can be no excuses."

Hopefully, Ewing will resign back with the Magic, but I think D'Antoni will try to offer Ewing the assistant HC job again next summer, and I think Ewing might accept the offer this time.

quote:
The Magic would love for assistant coach Patrick Ewing to return next season and help continue all-star C Dwight Howard's progress.

Ewing, in the final season of his contract with the Magic, has aspirations to be a head coach.

"We'd like Patrick to come back -- no question," General Manager Otis Smith said. "We like not just what he does with Dwight, but what he does for all of our guys."

quote:
Smith likes the continuity Ewing would provide for the 22-year-old Howard, plus the fact that Ewing doesn't allow for shortcuts.

"Patrick has been there, done that," Smith said. "So there can be no excuses."

Hopefully, Ewing will resign back with the Magic, but I think D'Antoni will try to offer Ewing the assistant HC job again next summer, and I think Ewing might accept the offer this time.

i think the only way Ewing leaves is if he is offered a head coaching position. I dont see him going somewhere else just to be an assistant especially one for NY when everyone knows how slighted he felt by not even getting an interview for the Knicks job.

ewing is more interested in talking with the dancers and chatting with friends than he is in coaching up young players. He's got big ambitions, but a poor work ethic.

I've heard the same things about him in both orlando and houston. He's getting jobs based on his name, not his coaching ability.

If i could choose any ex-player to coach dwight, it would be hakeem or even parish. I heard he was helping okafor on the side, but that's a lost cause. He should back a winner.

If the rumors are correct that the Knicks will re-sign Ewing Jr. once they complete the buy-out of Starbury, then that may be incentive enough for him to accept an assistant's job in the Big Apple.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

the Knicks bringing Ewing JR back doesn't open up an assist coach position though...

Is there a limit to the number of assistant coaches a team can have?

Surely you don't think that they are signing Ewing Jr. for his basketball prowess. Surely not. Remember, Zeke isn't there any more.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

so, bringing Ewing Jr back is just a plan to give the Knicks the upper hand at attempting to lure Ewing in as an assistant next season?

LOL. I have no idea at all. Just fun speculation. It may have nothing to do with it at all.

I was only attempting to state to those that say he would only leave for a head coaching position, that getting to coach his son might be the type of scenario that may make him accept another assistant's position.