Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Game Thread: Magic @ Grizzlies 10/31

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

I love me some Lowry, been a big fan of his for awhile...kind of overly cawky, but solid offensive general and great defensive guard, real pesky on the flip side of the ball...

I friggin' hate Lowry. He always puts his head down and barrels his way into the lane to get to the line. He's a very good defender, I'll admit that.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

I love me some Lowry, been a big fan of his for awhile...kind of overly cawky, but solid offensive general and great defensive guard, real pesky on the flip side of the ball...

I friggin' hate Lowry. He always puts his head down and barrels his way into the lane to get to the line. He's a very good defender, I'll admit that.

well you hate him because he's not on your team...I just meant in general, he's a solid player...

quote:

oh yea, I forgot to post my two big gripes with last nights game

1) No Gortat...You're facing a team with 3 7' Euro bigs and you are getting swarmed, why not insert your giant 7' capable Euro big that is sitting on the sidelines? 6 free fouls, an energy...come on SVG, what was the strategy there?

2) no Lee...facing a young young team, with a bunch of kids full of energy, why not counter that with young energy of your own? it's not like the Memphis youth was faultless, they were making their own mistakes, Lee would surely make some too, but still, the young bull. old bull game doesn't always work.

SVG's no dolt, I am willing to bet we see both of these guys tonight...

That's a good point and I forgot to mention that in my bashing of SVG in my Stock Up Stock Down.. but where WAS Gortat?? Especially considering in his limited minutes he's been outplaying Battie, and I'm sorry.. Battie is not a true center by any stretch of the imagination. Gortat should ALWAYS backup Dwight, and Battie never should. He's a power forward, plain and simple.

Maybe Otis & SVG both need to go back to elementary school basketball class and relearn what the 5 positions on the court are.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

well you hate him because he's not on your team...I just meant in general, he's a solid player...

No, I meant it because he has very poor fundamentals and relies on his athleticism for just about everything. Maybe it's because I'm tired of the Iverson's/Wade's/Lowry's who take advantage of current guard-play officiating to get to the freethrow line at will.

To me, it's just the game taking a step back.

quote:

hes the kind of guy we need though...we just dont have guys that will take it to people like that...SVG said it last night, we have no strong one on one guys...we got guys that will take it to the rack, but no guy who will just GO...

I agree to an extent, at least the guy won't back down. Our team has all the talent in the world, but they just don't seem to want it as much as I thought.

Bottom line, we're getting out-worked, and we need to figure out which line-up brings the most energy. Like I said, pretty sure Lee and Gortat will see sufficient minutes against SAC.

My observations from the game:

1) Has the team forgotten who the man is? I forgot Dwight was even on the floor a couple times last night he went so many possessions w/o touching it. When Darko left late in the 3rd quarter, we went like 8 str8 possessions w/o Dwight touching the ball with Darrell Arthur playing center!

Dwight was absolutely livid with his teammates!

2) Why is SVG taking Pietrus off Johnson & Gay down the stretch the last 2 games? They just shoot right over the top of Bogans and Pietrus had done a pretty solid job on them up til that point.

3) Seems like SVG was grasping at straws last night at tried to go with a familiar lineup from last season down the stretch.

4) I'm not making excuses for the team, but I think playing both these teams during the preseason helped them make adjustments.

5) Same problems as with Atl game, too much individual play, too many quick shots, too many bad shots.