Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoMagic

Books

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

I'm getting deeper and deeper into the first book. I must agree that so far, I am enjoying reading the chapters involving Eddard, Jon, and Tyrion the best as well. Martin definitely wants these to be the most sympathetic characters, Anya and Bran as well.

yeah, Arya she a tough little girl, she doesnt get along very well with her sister.

Whats been going on in the book?

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

yeah, Arya she a tough little girl, she doesnt get along very well with her sister.

Caetlyn still has Tyrion "kidnapped." Eddard realizes what the king suspects about his "in-laws." And the "Hand of the King" tournament is complete. I'm about at the half-way point of the first book. I usually fly through books, even ones this long, just haven't had as much time of late.

quote:

quote:

Caetlyn still has Tyrion "kidnapped." Eddard realizes what the king suspects about his "in-laws." And the "Hand of the King" tournament is complete. I'm about at the half-way point of the first book. I usually fly through books, even ones this long, just haven't had as much time of late.

Im pretty slow with books myself. But this fourth book especially. I've only gotten thru 4 chapters of the 4th book. I just havent quite found the time to really sit down and read it either.

I think the first book was my 2nd favorite. of the 3 I've read.

quote:

Now that I have read enough of "Game of Thrones" to form an opinion about it, I have two other series that I can compare it to, and which I would also recommend to you.

The "Dune" series is excellent. It is by Frank Herbert and should be very easy to find. Start by just reading the first one, titled "Dune." If you like it, there are several others that followed, but it also is a good "stand alone" novel. You will notice similar themes in this books such as intrigue, thrones, houses, politics, treachery, etc.

The other series is called "Crown of Stars" by Kate Elliott. This series is easily as long and as involving as "A Song of Ice and Fire." In fact, there are seven books in both series. Check out the first book "King's Dragon" and I guarantee you will get hooked. You will notice a ton of similarities between these two series.

quote:

quote:

Now that I have read enough of "Game of Thrones" to form an opinion about it, I have two other series that I can compare it to, and which I would also recommend to you.

The "Dune" series is excellent. It is by Frank Herbert and should be very easy to find. Start by just reading the first one, titled "Dune." If you like it, there are several others that followed, but it also is a good "stand alone" novel. You will notice similar themes in this books such as intrigue, thrones, houses, politics, treachery, etc.

The other series is called "Crown of Stars" by Kate Elliott. This series is easily as long and as involving as "A Song of Ice and Fire." In fact, there are seven books in both series. Check out the first book "King's Dragon" and I guarantee you will get hooked. You will notice a ton of similarities between these two series.

cool. Thanks. I will definitly check those books out then. I was trying to find something to read after I finished the 4th I will definitly start on one of those.

Dune. is that like the movie?

quote:

cool. Thanks. I will definitly check those books out then. I was trying to find something to read after I finished the 4th I will definitly start on one of those.

Yes, it is the book that the movie adaptations were based on. The book is infinitely better than the movie!

quote:

quote:

Yes, it is the book that the movie adaptations were based on. The book is infinitely better than the movie!

thats cool I just wondered. I was really young when that movie came out. I dont even remember what it was about to be honest. But I remember liking the movie.

quote:

OK LOD, update Time!

Hey, I spent a week away from computers and boy was it nice! Didn't miss them a bit! I have finished the first book, A Game of Thrones and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read two other books since I finished that one. But I will start "A Clash of Kings" probably tomorrow. I was very pissed that they killed off Eddard.