LetsGoMagic

Books

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

which ones have you read lately and which ones do you suggest?

LGM, the one that I just finished is called "The Phoenix Guards" by Steven Brust. Very good. It is the first book in a series, but it is a good standalone book as well. It was one of those where, when he first wrote it, he wasn't sure if he would be going back to it or not.

I'll point out some others later today, have to get home and look at my shelves to see what I've read lately!

I'll have to give it a try. I'm almost done with the 3rd book and I'll have to go buy the 4th in the next couple of days. After that I think I'm free :]

Cool. I'll be starting "A Game of Thrones" tonight. Looking forward to it.

quote:

Cool. I'll be starting "A Game of Thrones" tonight. Looking forward to it.

LGM, I started it last night...didn't get far, only read the prologue, but it was great. Makes a great teaser for the rest of the story.

yeah, it was. Well Im pretty excited about someone reading it. I just read the first book about 2 months or so ago so its still pretty fresh in my mind.

The prolgue for each book is the only chapter he writes that are not from someones PoV (point of view)

quote:

yeah, it was. Well Im pretty excited about someone reading it. I just read the first book about 2 months or so ago so its still pretty fresh in my mind.

The prolgue for each book is the only chapter he writes that are not from someones PoV (point of view)

Well, I suppose you have thanked your brother for turning you on to them.

quote:

quote:

Well, I suppose you have thanked your brother for turning you on to them.

Yes, I will have to

LOD, I am 2 chapters from finishing the 3rd book. WOW!!! that book is buy far the best of the 3 so far. I went and bought the 4th book "Feast of the Crows" this weekend.

"Sea of Swords" the 3rd book is really, really good. There are so many twists its unbelievable. There are alot of questions of the 2 previous books answered. But he has raised so many more questions. Man! what a ending.

quote:

LOD, I am 2 chapters from finishing the 3rd book. WOW!!! that book is buy far the best of the 3 so far. I went and bought the 4th book "Feast of the Crows" this weekend.

"Sea of Swords" the 3rd book is really, really good. There are so many twists its unbelievable. There are alot of questions of the 2 previous books answered. But he has raised so many more questions. Man! what a ending.

I didn't get to read as much this weekend as I would have liked, I am only about 50 pages into the first book. However, I am really enjoying it. Martin does a good job of immediately getting you interested in the characters. I need to hurry up and finish this first one so that I can take the 2nd one as my "vacation" book when I head out in two weeks.

quote:

quote:

I didn't get to read as much this weekend as I would have liked, I am only about 50 pages into the first book. However, I am really enjoying it. Martin does a good job of immediately getting you interested in the characters. I need to hurry up and finish this first one so that I can take the 2nd one as my "vacation" book when I head out in two weeks.

Yeah, I think Eddard (Ned) Stark, Jon Snow and Tyrion are probably my favorite characters of the series.

I usually read pretty slow during the first half of each book, but that last half of these books get really interesting. I read them pretty quickly once I got to the 2nd half.

quote:

LoD, got a chance to read some?

Yes! Actually I did! You gotta love a book that comes right out with incest in the first 50 pages!

I've already noticed that the author is often very descriptive. This is OK, and often very necessary. But when he is describing fat slobby old men with "well-oiled" beards, it just gives me a very bad image!

So you have finished the third and will be starting the fourth, correct?

quote:

quote:

LoD, got a chance to read some?

Yes! Actually I did! You gotta love a book that comes right out with incest in the first 50 pages!

I've already noticed that the author is often very descriptive. This is OK, and often very necessary. But when he is describing fat slobby old men with "well-oiled" beards, it just gives me a very bad image!

So you have finished the third and will be starting the fourth, correct?

HAHA! he gets pretty graphic to he doesnt really hold anything back at all as far as things things about his characters.

The 3rd book is by FAR the best book. Those last 10 to 15 Chapters are amazing. It's just crazy. Talk about cliffhangers dang. He's left a ton!

I started the 4th I read the prologue last night.

quote:

HAHA! he gets pretty graphic to he doesnt really hold anything back at all as far as things things about his characters.

The 3rd book is by FAR the best book. Those last 10 to 15 Chapters are amazing. It's just crazy. Talk about cliffhangers dang. He's left a ton!

I started the 4th I read the prologue last night.

I'm getting deeper and deeper into the first book. I must agree that so far, I am enjoying reading the chapters involving Eddard, Jon, and Tyrion the best as well. Martin definitely wants these to be the most sympathetic characters, Anya and Bran as well.