Sign in to follow this  
CaseyMullen928

Stephen A. Smith on the clock

Did anyone see Stephen A . Smith's take on the whole clock issue on yesterday afternoon's sports center? He agreed the officials blew it, but when it was suggested that they should have reset the clock and re-run the play when the mistake was realized, he was on fire about how in no way that should have been done. I have to say I have seen fast breaks blown dead because of clock glitches, and they reset and play on. I thnk Stephen A. Smith is a bandwagon riding moron who has no business being on television.

Did anyone see Stephen A . Smith's take on the whole clock issue on yesterday afternoon's sports center? He agreed the officials blew it, but when it was suggested that they should have reset the clock and re-run the play when the mistake was realized, he was on fire about how in no way that should have been done. I have to say I have seen fast breaks blown dead because of clock glitches, and they reset and play on. I thnk Stephen A. Smith is a bandwagon riding moron who has no business being on television.

my take is this , they usally catch this before the shot is taken but the shot went up and they hadto score it . the only thing is they have to judge themselves if shot was taken in time and they guessed it wrong.

I have yet to see the answer to this question, but ive been wondering why the refs couldnt review the clock on the play, when they CAN review the clock on a buzzer beater shot to end a quarter. Isnt that basically what this was? End of the quarter, debate as to whether the player got the shot off in time...? Right? But would that just make the game too fair?

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

I have yet to see the answer to this question, but ive been wondering why the refs couldnt review the clock on the play, when they CAN review the clock on a buzzer beater shot to end a quarter. Isnt that basically what this was? End of the quarter, debate as to whether the player got the shot off in time...? Right? But would that just make the game too fair?

The issue with that was that since the clock malfunctioned, it never got to zero and the red border never lit up around the backboard. If they were to review it, there would be no video evidence of how much time elapsed during the play. They would have to bring in some other timing device (like a stopwatch or something) and time it that way, and to be honest, even as a Magic fan I'm not comfortable with the idea of referees standing around a tv screen with a stopwatch timing a play.

The correct thing to do would have been to just redo the play because it should have been blown dead before the shot was taken in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

The issue with that was that since the clock malfunctioned, it never got to zero and the red border never lit up around the backboard. If they were to review it, there would be no video evidence of how much time elapsed during the play. They would have to bring in some other timing device (like a stopwatch or something) and time it that way, and to be honest, even as a Magic fan I'm not comfortable with the idea of referees standing around a tv screen with a stopwatch timing a play.

The correct thing to do would have been to just redo the play because it should have been blown dead before the shot was taken in the first place.

But you do agree that the ref's stood at half court figuring out how much time elapsed on their own correct?

By league rules they can review the last play of the game to determine if a shot got of in time yes?

Now, it's apparent that they grossly misjudged the time the play took (total of 4.6 seconds leaving .5 on the clock), and because there was 'time left' on the clock, it was not the last play of the quarter, and therefore could not be reviewed since, on their own, 'clock malfunctions do not warrant instant replay reviews'.

What if they had misjudged in our favor, or even just got the timing right to begin with? The shot was not taken in time, and there was 0.00 time left in the quarter. Now the play is reviewable by the leagues own rules. Correct?

Now, you may not be comfortable with the refs watching the replay on TV and using a stopwatch to measure the time the play took, but you have to admit that is a heck of a lot better than standign at mid court, mentally reviewing the play and counting out 'mississippi's'.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

But you do agree that the ref's stood at half court figuring out how much time elapsed on their own correct?

By league rules they can review the last play of the game to determine if a shot got of in time yes?

Now, it's apparent that they grossly misjudged the time the play took (total of 4.6 seconds leaving .5 on the clock), and because there was 'time left' on the clock, it was not the last play of the quarter, and therefore could not be reviewed since, on their own, 'clock malfunctions do not warrant instant replay reviews'.

What if they had misjudged in our favor, or even just got the timing right to begin with? The shot was not taken in time, and there was 0.00 time left in the quarter. Now the play is reviewable by the leagues own rules. Correct?

Now, you may not be comfortable with the refs watching the replay on TV and using a stopwatch to measure the time the play took, but you have to admit that is a heck of a lot better than standign at mid court, mentally reviewing the play and counting out 'mississippi's'.

No, I don't think it would be correct for them to figure it out on their own. That's why I didn't say that.

My position is that the play should have been blown dead immediately upon the realization that the clock was not working properly, and the ball subsequently inbounded again.

The fact that the shot was not taken in time is irrelevant in this case. A review of the play shouldn't even need to be considered because the play was dead the whole time anyway, or at least it should have been.

We're focusing on the wrong aspect of this. The incompetence lies in the refs not paying attention to the clock and realizing what was going on so that the play could be stopped and done over. Yes, what happened after that was ridiculous by anyone's standards. But the initial error was with the play not being stopped. There is no need for a review of a play that never should have happened.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

No, I don't think it would be correct for them to figure it out on their own. That's why I didn't say that.

My position is that the play should have been blown dead immediately upon the realization that the clock was not working properly, and the ball subsequently inbounded again.

The fact that the shot was not taken in time is irrelevant in this case. A review of the play shouldn't even need to be considered because the play was dead the whole time anyway, or at least it should have been.

We're focusing on the wrong aspect of this. The incompetence lies in the refs not paying attention to the clock and realizing what was going on so that the play could be stopped and done over. Yes, what happened after that was ridiculous by anyone's standards. But the initial error was with the play not being stopped. There is no need for a review of a play that never should have happened.

However, according to the league, they can't 'redo' the play because the error was not caught until after the shot was made. If they had noticed the error prior to the shot attempt, I think they would have done this. I can almost accept this point, due to the fact that the shot clock initially started, so I can assume a ref looked to make sure the clock started, noticed it start, then focused on the players.

So, through the details of the game, and rules, and info based on the leagues statements, replaying the possession was not an option.

This is why I focus on the ref's 'guessing' as to the time the play took. According to the league this was the correct action, and their only recourse at the moment.

According to the league they can not go to reply for clock malfunctions. According to the league they CAN go to reply for the final shot attempt of a quarter to see if the shot should count or not (also reviewing fouls, 3 point vs 2 point shots, stepping otu of bounds etc.).

With this in mind, I can not beleive the refs arbitrarily came up with 4.6 seconds. It only seems logical and obvious to me that they could have given themselves to opportunity to make the correct call via replay simply by deciding the quarter had ended prior to the ball going through the hoop. Notice that this decision does not say wether the shot was good or not, and they would then be allowed to go to replay to make that determination.

I fully beleive they understood this at the time, and the only reason they put any time back on the clock was to disallow the Magic to make the argument that the play should be reviewed via instant replay.

quote:

However, according to the league, they can't 'redo' the play because the error was not caught until after the shot was made. If they had noticed the error prior to the shot attempt, I think they would have done this. I can almost accept this point, due to the fact that the shot clock initially started, so I can assume a ref looked to make sure the clock started, noticed it start, then focused on the players.

So, through the details of the game, and rules, and info based on the leagues statements, replaying the possession was not an option.

This is why I focus on the ref's 'guessing' as to the time the play took. According to the league this was the correct action, and their only recourse at the moment.

According to the league they can not go to reply for clock malfunctions. According to the league they CAN go to reply for the final shot attempt of a quarter to see if the shot should count or not (also reviewing fouls, 3 point vs 2 point shots, stepping otu of bounds etc.).

With this in mind, I can not beleive the refs arbitrarily came up with 4.6 seconds. It only seems logical and obvious to me that they could have given themselves to opportunity to make the correct call via replay simply by deciding the quarter had ended prior to the ball going through the hoop. Notice that this decision does not say wether the shot was good or not, and they would then be allowed to go to replay to make that determination.

I fully beleive they understood this at the time, and the only reason they put any time back on the clock was to disallow the Magic to make the argument that the play should be reviewed via instant replay.

All valid points, and I don't disagree with you on any of them. Like I said, what happened after the initial error is completely ridiculous. But I don't think our problem should be so much about that. The point of all of this is that it never should have reached the point where we're talking about this right now. The play should have been blown dead immediately and the rest should have never happened. Anything that happened beyond that is irrelevant.