Sign in to follow this  
brownmagic

Otis IS a financially savvy GM!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Half the GM's in pro sports couldn't successfully run a small business. I know for a fact nobody who's ever worked in this organization has.

I just like to let them continue pretending that we're all 17 year old kids with nothing better to do.

The CEO of a million dollar corporation built from a $35,000.00 initial investment five years ago??? That couldn't be. An industry leader in one of the hottest global industries, in the largest market??? That couldn't be either. An individual with close connections to past and present day Orlando Magic executives??? No way!

I would invite a discussion with Otis any day of the week, that could conveniently be broadcast on Youtube for all the kiddies, just so I could pin Otis into a corner and watch him squirm regarding his mismanagement of assets, refusal to precisely & concisely address staffing concerns, and of course have him explain his five year plan (he does have one right?)

Shall I go on?

Why the obfuscation? PM me the details of this incredible business venture. I'm dying to know. Especially considering I work for a seed capital venture fund.

quote:
Originally posted by I Rasharted:

Why the obfuscation? PM me the details of this incredible business venture. I'm dying to know. Especially considering I work for a seed capital venture fund.

What's unclear about my post?

GMs make personnel decisions, team presidents make business decisions. They both need to agree that a player is good (GM decides) and that the expense is in line with the business (team president decides).

It makes perfect sense that basketball knowledge is very important for the GM position and that several players move into that position and that more seasoned executives are team presidents and their business credentials are generally sound.

Does it always happen that way? No. But, like in business, not everything fits in a box. I worked for a Fortune 100 company and the CEO had a BA in History while I needed a Master's degree for my mid-level position earning a fraction of what he earned.

Isaiah is a mess and McHale couldn't find himself out of a room even if the door was open. Some people get promoted for no apparent reason and sometimes you wonder if anyone knows how to run a business. But anyone who claims that this is unique to the NBA hasn't worked in the real world.

quote:

quote:

What's unclear about my post?

Oh, you know, the actual name of your company, what it sells. Things like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

we would have improved greatly regardless of rashard. thats your first big mistake.

Can you tell me how you know this? Please?

I'm sure Charlotte thought they were going to improve after acquiring Jason Richardson. I'm sure the Knicks thought they were going to improve after acquiring Zach Randolph. Shall I go on? Look how those predictions worked out.

Unless you're a prophet, anybody who says "We would have been better" is clearing just stating an opinion.

maybe i am...

the fact that dwight improved alone signifies a better team, throw in hedo's improvement and thats another notch on the improvement belt. i know what you are going to say next...rashard allowed those two to get better numbers, but thats specualtion to a higher degree than what your claiming on me. i can almost guarantee with the amount of money we spent on rashard this year alone, we could have found two players that could combine for more than just 18ppg. its all in the past though. the point is that the premise of this thread is false. we are paying a career 17ppg player nearly a million dollars per avg. point he scores this season. by 2012, his 25mil salary will be more than 40% of the salary cap alone. 80% of our salary cap by then will be on two players. that is NOT how you build championships.

quote:

80% of our salary cap by then will be on two players. that is NOT how you build championships.

The Lakers during the Shaq / Kobe years would disagree with you.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:

80% of our salary cap by then will be on two players. that is NOT how you build championships.

Kobe's max contract hadn't kicked in yet. When it did, they quickly split those two players up because they couldn't put any talent on the floor around them.

I think it's funny that there has been mention that this team is modeled after both Detroit and San Antonio, yet Otis' spending spree this past offseason would indicate differently.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:

Kobe's max contract hadn't kicked in yet. When it did, they quickly split those two players up because they couldn't put any talent on the floor around them.

I think it's funny that there has been mention that this team is modeled after both Detroit and San Antonio, yet Otis' spending spree this past offseason would indicate differently.

there is nothing about this team thats similar to either san antonio or detroit. the two teams that come to my mind are phoenix for style of play and NY for management of finances.

quote:

Former players becoming GMs is a common occurrence. Cause it makes sense. Cause they know basketball. They don't all turn out to be geniuses, but that's more a fact of life than anything.

Which is the point of this discussion. What was standard when NBA franchises had operating expenses of 1-3M per year, has left 100M dollar businesses with incompetent management. Nepotism & former players is common beyond this franchise.

Putting together a roster in this era of pro sports is equal knowledge of the game & business. When you lack either, you are destined to fail.

quote:
GMs make personnel decisions, team presidents make business decisions. They both need to agree that a player is good (GM decides) and that the expense is in line with the business (team president decides).

First, this business model is not extremely accurate in the world of professional sports. GM's typically answer directly to owners. But, as I've said several times, our team presidents business experience is what exactly?

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

But, as I've said several times, our team presidents business experience is what exactly?

You mean besides marrying the bosses daughter?

quote:

Are you implying it isn't financially savvy to be paying Rashard as much as Parker/Ginobli & Billups/Hamilton in two years?