Sign in to follow this  
brownmagic

Otis IS a financially savvy GM!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by I Rasharted:

Nope, I'm not talking about a former player that worked his way up. I'm talking about you. And SPED Danny.

I can promise you that Otis wishes he was as well qualified to accept that GM position as I am currently.

Are you even familiar with Otis' resume? Or, like most other members of this board, are you just speaking out of your arse?

You mean community relations and player development don't qualify you to run a 100M a year business?

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Really though Smack, to be fair, Rashard isn't the type of player that relies on his athleticism. That is NOT to say that Rashard is devoid of athleticism, but certainly one of the biggest criticisms of Rashard is that he simply doesn't utilize his explosiveness around the basket. On the same token, this really will improve his longevity.

I've become much less critical of Rashard since the all-star break. He has played a more complete game since then. But no matter how you slice it, like every professional athlete on the planet that endures the rigors of a demanding schedule, Rashard's ability to contribute on a large scale have already begun to diminish, and will continue to degrade to the point where his contract is working counteractively compared to his performance.

Rashard is not to blame for signing for too much money. JJ is not to blame for being selected in the lottery. Fran is not to blame for...well, maybe a little bit. Garrity is not to blame because his expiring contract couldn't fetch a single compelling prospect. Darko is not to blame for failing to negotiate an extension.

In every case, Otis shoulders the blame for the franchise mis-steps and misfortunes, not excluding the predicament the Magic will be in three years from now. And it can be argued to death why he doesn't deserve credit for the successes.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

You mean community relations and player development don't qualify you to run a 100M a year business?

Not quite, and neither does a mediocre 10 year NBA career.

Just the fact that you or anyone can speak in complete sentences, would make them more qualified than Otis.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Really though Smack, to be fair, Rashard isn't the type of player that relies on his athleticism. That is NOT to say that Rashard is devoid of athleticism, but certainly one of the biggest criticisms of Rashard is that he simply doesn't utilize his explosiveness around the basket. On the same token, this really will improve his longevity.

I've become much less critical of Rashard since the all-star break. He has played a more complete game since then. But no matter how you slice it, like every professional athlete on the planet that endures the rigors of a demanding schedule, Rashard's ability to contribute on a large scale have already begun to diminish, and will continue to degrade to the point where his contract is working counteractively compared to his performance.

Rashard is not to blame for signing for too much money. JJ is not to blame for being selected in the lottery. Fran is not to blame for...well, maybe a little bit. Garrity is not to blame because his expiring contract couldn't fetch a single compelling prospect. Darko is not to blame for failing to negotiate an extension.

In every case, Otis shoulders the blame for the franchise mis-steps and misfortunes, not excluding the predicament the Magic will be in three years from now. And it can be argued to death why he doesn't deserve credit for the successes.

I can dig. The important line to me is in your last paragraph "Otis shoulders the blame for... the predicament the Magic will be in 3 years from now". Rashard has probably at least 3 more years of this kind of production before he naturally declines - his body type, endurance, injury history, etc all point to him being effective beyond a short 2-year window.

It is great to see the Magic have a core capable of making noise in the playoffs for at least a few more years running. I do believe Otis deserves some credit there - at the same time, it WILL be painful to watch our wingmen age.

On that note, resigning Hedo is an interesting issue coming up in a couple years. Will the Magic be able to sign him to a short contract to stick around for just another 3 years to line up with Rashard's expiring contract? Or will we be stuck with Hedo until he turns 35/36 on a fat contract?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Not quite, and neither does a mediocre 10 year NBA career.

Just the fact that you or anyone can speak in complete sentences, would make them more qualified than Otis.

Bummer, I mumble, & grunt a lot.

But, even I know if you remove the carrot from in front of the horse, he runs slower. Who thinks we would have seen a different Jameer or a different contract if Otis didn't jump the gun?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by I Rasharted:

Nope, I'm not talking about a former player that worked his way up. I'm talking about you. And SPED Danny.

I can promise you that Otis wishes he was as well qualified to accept that GM position as I am currently.

Are you even familiar with Otis' resume? Or, like most other members of this board, are you just speaking out of your arse?

Absolutely hilarious. Borderline delusional. Come back to me when you're an NBA GM.

And I also remember why I stopped posting here. I forget sometimes.

Hey, sorry about that I am not trying to tear down any body here, and in-fact have a great deal of respect for the intellegence you guys, (smack included), I'm just saying you probably won't get the chance to try to do better than Mr. Smith, so it is kind of an empty threat. You have to admit he did better than at least 12 other GM this season, and if that list brown magic put up $/wins is correct then Mr. Smith is in some pretty good company.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

Yea this coming from a psuedo magic fan with a stan Van dummy sig, right!

you got that rigth with very well back up reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Okay, Rashard Lewis was a great signing. The Head Coach, Hedo Turkoglu, Dwight Howard, Otis Smith, Matt Goukas, and I all agree. He is the number 1 reason why we went from the eighth seed to be hosting a game this sunday. Did we pay him a lot? Yeah of course we did but didn't it pay off? Basketball is a team sport, going from about the worst three-point shooting team to the SECOND-BEST ALL TIME is pretty significant. Thank you Rashard. Going from a 40 win team to a 52 win team is something good. Thanks again Sweet Lou. Hedo having an all-star type year because you are willing to score less only to work harder on the defensive is pretty nice. TYVM 'Shard. I can keep going but it seems repetitive.

The Magic go from being offensively inept to the Best in the East and all you can do is criticize our offseason transaction? Seems exceptionally stupid if you ask me and pretty darn ignorant.

And yeah this entire thread is flawed because we are in the final years of Jameer's and Dwight's rookie contracts so by letting the others expire we are going to be in about the same boat next season, a few million over the cape and no it won't "go through the roof with the extensions kicking in."

And a question for you JonBoy418, Sign and Trades are performed with RFAs and you can never be sure that Seattle wouldn't be willing to pay 15 million a year for Rashard Lewis...so we would be on this message board complaining about how stupid Otis was not doing a sign and trade...would we not?

This thread is very specific about it's own topic. Is Otis a financially saavy GM. I pointed to Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson to say that the odds are against him. It's tough to say he's not financially saavy only because we haven't seen his whole package yet. Next year will tell the tale of his saaviness, when all contracts have been extended.

No where in that discussion was Rashard (at least by me) called a bad signing. He was the player I wanted to see Orlando more than another FA on the market. More than Vince Carter, more than Gerald Wallace... He's obviously helpped this franchise this season. And that's the key statement: this season. Every pundit and sports columnist had said this is great for the short term but could hurt in the long term.

That's where the finacial saavy argument doesn't hold water. When Rashard is 34 and declining, he'll be making over $20 million. It's difficult to move a contract like that. We could be stuck in mediocrity for years because of that.

As for the sign and trade. It was mentioned here earlier, but I'll elaborate. Seattle went on the record publiclly that they did not want to retain Rashard Lewis. They said they were rebuilding. They had just drafted Kevin Durant (SF) and did a draft day trade to aquire Jeff Green (also a SF) for Ray Allen. That showed their commitment to rebuilding.

But let's back track for a moment. Let's say Seattle did forgo the sign and trade and retained Rashard at his current deal. I doubt any one in here would complain how stupid Otis is. Pass up Lewis at that price would be a financial saavy move and most people here would agree to that. If that were the case, then you move on and look for the contingent that SHOULD have been planned from day one.

It's like going to Subway and paying an extra $3 for a sub when you could have gotten it at regular price. And if you couldn't get that sub, then you go next door to Publix and get one of their subs for regular price.

quote:
Originally posted by JonBoy418:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Okay, Rashard Lewis was a great signing. The Head Coach, Hedo Turkoglu, Dwight Howard, Otis Smith, Matt Goukas, and I all agree. He is the number 1 reason why we went from the eighth seed to be hosting a game this sunday. Did we pay him a lot? Yeah of course we did but didn't it pay off? Basketball is a team sport, going from about the worst three-point shooting team to the SECOND-BEST ALL TIME is pretty significant. Thank you Rashard. Going from a 40 win team to a 52 win team is something good. Thanks again Sweet Lou. Hedo having an all-star type year because you are willing to score less only to work harder on the defensive is pretty nice. TYVM 'Shard. I can keep going but it seems repetitive.

The Magic go from being offensively inept to the Best in the East and all you can do is criticize our offseason transaction? Seems exceptionally stupid if you ask me and pretty darn ignorant.

And yeah this entire thread is flawed because we are in the final years of Jameer's and Dwight's rookie contracts so by letting the others expire we are going to be in about the same boat next season, a few million over the cape and no it won't "go through the roof with the extensions kicking in."

And a question for you JonBoy418, Sign and Trades are performed with RFAs and you can never be sure that Seattle wouldn't be willing to pay 15 million a year for Rashard Lewis...so we would be on this message board complaining about how stupid Otis was not doing a sign and trade...would we not?

This thread is very specific about it's own topic. Is Otis a financially saavy GM. I pointed to Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson to say that the odds are against him. It's tough to say he's not financially saavy only because we haven't seen his whole package yet. Next year will tell the tale of his saaviness, when all contracts have been extended.

No where in that discussion was Rashard (at least by me) called a bad signing. He was the player I wanted to see Orlando more than another FA on the market. More than Vince Carter, more than Gerald Wallace... He's obviously helpped this franchise this season. And that's the key statement: this season. Every pundit and sports columnist had said this is great for the short term but could hurt in the long term.

That's where the finacial saavy argument doesn't hold water. When Rashard is 34 and declining, he'll be making over $20 million. It's difficult to move a contract like that. We could be stuck in mediocrity for years because of that.

As for the sign and trade. It was mentioned here earlier, but I'll elaborate. Seattle went on the record publiclly that they did not want to retain Rashard Lewis. They said they were rebuilding. They had just drafted Kevin Durant (SF) and did a draft day trade to aquire Jeff Green (also a SF) for Ray Allen. That showed their commitment to rebuilding.

But let's back track for a moment. Let's say Seattle did forgo the sign and trade and retained Rashard at his current deal. I doubt any one in here would complain how stupid Otis is. Pass up Lewis at that price would be a financial saavy move and most people here would agree to that. If that were the case, then you move on and look for the contingent that SHOULD have been planned from day one.

It's like going to Subway and paying an extra $3 for a sub when you could have gotten it at regular price. And if you couldn't get that sub, then you go next door to Publix and get one of their subs for regular price.

I don't agree, Rashard IMO is besides D12 the most valuable player, and vvery under rated, from the article attached to this thread, many people critical to the magic's success agree with me. Rashard plays unselfish, smart, winning fundamental basketball, not "flashy" like alot of you guys like, but winning basketball, he dosen't force shots, dosen't over dribble, lets the game come to him, dosen't force passes, just helps win, and again IMO is real leader for this team. Again Thank you Mr. Smith, thank you Rashard!