Sign in to follow this  
Shadow41

Mark Stein's Season-Ending Award Ballots (Hedo for MIP)

quote:
Most Improved Player

Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando Magic

We sing the same whiny song every April. Do you give the MIP to the player who jumps from non-factor to impact player? Or to the guy who goes from good to really good? Or to the guy who makes the subtle statistical climb but otherwise monstrous leap from really good to the rarefied air of full-fledged stud?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080412-13

My picks are :

MVP : Chris Poul

COY: Byron Scott

ROY: Kevin Durant

6th man: Manu ginobili

DPOY: Marcus Camby

MIP: Hedo Turkoglu

your thoughts ??..

quote:
Most Improved Player

Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando Magic

We sing the same whiny song every April. Do you give the MIP to the player who jumps from non-factor to impact player? Or to the guy who goes from good to really good? Or to the guy who makes the subtle statistical climb but otherwise monstrous leap from really good to the rarefied air of full-fledged stud?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080412-13

My picks are :

your thoughts ??..

Dunleavy should win the MIP. At the All-Star break last year he was averaging 11 PPG and was being booed during the opening game introductions AT HOME GAMES! He was widely veiwed as overpaid with little talent and no outside shot (@ the time a career 35% 3ptrs). Now he is averaging 22 PPG over the last 21 games and has hit 60-114 of his threes (53%). Hedo on the other hand was viewed as a solid player last year. Magic opponents don't have to give their main attention to him with Dwight and Rashard. I know this is a Magic board, but can you take off your Magic glasses for a minute?

quote:
Originally posted by Mikesj:

Dunleavy should win the MIP. At the All-Star break last year he was averaging 11 PPG and was being booed during the opening game introductions AT HOME GAMES! He was widely veiwed as overpaid with little talent and no outside shot (@ the time a career 35% 3ptrs). Now he is averaging 22 PPG over the last 21 games and has hit 60-114 of his threes (53%). Hedo on the other hand was viewed as a solid player last year. Magic opponents don't have to give their main attention to him with Dwight and Rashard. I know this is a Magic board, but can you take off your Magic glasses for a minute?

I don't remember Dunleavy averaging that little at the All Star break, maybe he did but I don't recall it.

YR TM G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS

02-03 Gsw 82 3 15.9 2.0-5.1 .403 0.6-1.8 .347 1.0-1.2 .780 0.6 0.2 1.0 1.5 0.8 1.8 2.6 1.3 5.7

03-04 Gsw 75 69 31.1 4.3-9.6 .449 1.3-3.4 .370 1.8-2.5 .741 0.9 0.2 1.9 2.3 1.2 4.7 5.9 2.9 11.7

04-05 Gsw 79 79 32.5 5.2-11.5 .451 1.4-3.5 .388 1.7-2.2 .779 1.0 0.3 1.7 2.5 1.2 4.3 5.5 2.6 13.4

05-06 Gsw 81 68 31.9 4.1-10.1 .406 0.9-3.2 .285 2.4-3.1 .778 0.7 0.4 1.5 2.5 1.0 4.0 5.0 2.9 11.5

06-07 Gsw 39 6 27.0 4.3-9.5 .449 0.9-2.7 .346 2.0-2.6 .772 1.0 0.3 1.8 2.1 1.0 3.8 4.8 3.0 11.4

Coppied from other topic:

EnFuego statted as:

Rebounds:

Dunleavy

last year 5.3

this year 5.3 - no improvement

Turk

last year 4.0

this year 5.9 = 1.9 improvement

Assists

Dunleavy

last year 2.8

this year 3.4 = 0.6 improvement

Turk

last year 3.2

this year 4.9 = 1.7 improvement

Dunleavy

last year 12.8

this year 18.8 = 6 point improvement

Turk

last year 13.3

this year 19.4 = 6.3 point improvement

Minutes

Dunleavy

last year 31.5

this year 35.8 = 4.3 minutes

Turk

last year 31

this year 37.3 = 6.3 minutes

steals and blocks stayed pretty much the same for both. Dunleavy's stats for last year are a combination of GS and Ind.

Hedo has him statistically. Hedo has become a closer with a contending team.

I can see how they made their decision.

End of the year stats look pretty close to me, but the improvement in one year All-star break to Al-star break definitely goes to Dunleavy as does the opinions of him last year vs. this year. I don't think that stats play that much into the decision, otherwise we could just use a computer to figure the award.

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow41:

your thoughts ??..

Looks good...

Maybe Al Horford-ROY, KG DPOY. Hard to believe Kobe never been MVP, that might sway my vote over to him if I had 1.

I agree with Shadow 41 with everything except I think Eddie Jordan of the Washington Wizards is the Coach Of The Year. With Gilbert Arenas hurt almost all year and even Caron Butler (not to mention Antonio Daniels) out for a few stretches, the Wizards still somehow have the fifth best record in the East and are within striking distance of Cleveland for 4th.

That's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

The MVP race is truly between Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James. Like I've said elsewhere on this forum, first of all all three of done stellar things in their individual games this season. Then, Paul and Kobe's teams are way more successful than LeBron's and in a tougher conference, so I think that eliminates LeBron. Then between Paul and Kobe I think Kobe has had more help this season. Having Kobe Bryant with average players around him gets you a 6 or 7 seed and bounced from the playoffs, I think we've learned that in the last few years. The Lakers have thrived and been near the top of the West thanks to Bynum's efforts in the first half of the season, and Gasol in the second half ALONG with Kobe.

I think Paul has meant the most to his team with the least amount of help AND still led his team to have been majorly successful. If you combine LeBron's importance to the Cavs with Kobe's team success you get Chris Paul's season with the New Orleans Hornets.

I think based on this season alone Paul should be MVP but I wouldn't be surprised if voters throw it to Kobe as a combo "this season plus career achievement award" because it truly would be a shame if he ended up retiring someday without winning at least *1* MVP trophy.

quote:
Originally posted by Mikesj:

End of the year stats look pretty close to me, but the improvement in one year All-star break to Al-star break definitely goes to Dunleavy as does the opinions of him last year vs. this year. I don't think that stats play that much into the decision, otherwise we could just use a computer to figure the award.

Well no award covers all-star break to all-star break. No one's checking to see who was the mvp from last year's all-star break to this year's all-start break, ditto for coach of the year, and rest assured , no one will for most improved.

As to your second point, stats are not the only thing that gets looked at, but to say that stats don't play that much into the decision is ludicrous. Stats play a big part in all of these awards.

And if you want to go beyond stats, then you make Hedo's argument stronger. Hedo is the go to guy for a third seed team, is among the leaders in fourth quarter scoring, has two triple doubles. No contest.

The only argument I'll give you is that Dunleave was a bigger loser last year than Hedo's ever been. But that alone doesn't cut it.