Sign in to follow this  
Berto

Dwight Stunned By Garnett Comments

Howard stunned by Garnett's remarks

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY ADVERTISEMENT

ORLANDO - Part heartbroken, part frustrated and part realistic, Dwight Howard didn't know how to interpret Kevin Garnett's rather harsh critique of the Orlando Magic center's progress in the NBA.

Howard grew up idolizing Garnett, doing everything from studying his game tapes to hanging a poster of the Minnesota Timberwolves star on the wall of his Atlanta home.

While the two talked cordially recently at the NBA All-Star Game, they have had their scrapes on the court. Garnett was whistled for a technical foul two years ago for shoving Howard when they wrestled for a rebound. And veteran referee Jess Kersey admonished them for wrestling and trash talking late in Sunday's game.

So maybe it was no surprise that Garnett was somewhat critical of the 21-year-old Howard, questioning his inability to add a mid-range jump shot and his propensity for turning the ball over.

Said Garnett of Howard: "Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects. We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. . . . There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard was admittedly stunned by the critique. Said Howard: "I'm just 21 years old and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now. The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (seven) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04050330/1002/SPORTS

I feel bad for Dwight. He gets doubled and tripled team out there. Let's also not forget how much he gets held and hacked. Brian Hill is really doing Dwight a disservice by continuing to run the same terrible offense that produces nothing but turnovers and bad shots.

I don't know why Garnett felt the need to speak out about Dwight like that. It seems kind of disrespectful to me. He should really be focused on how terrible his team is anyway. For a 21 year old to here his idol criticize him can't be easy.

Howard stunned by Garnett's remarks

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY ADVERTISEMENT

ORLANDO - Part heartbroken, part frustrated and part realistic, Dwight Howard didn't know how to interpret Kevin Garnett's rather harsh critique of the Orlando Magic center's progress in the NBA.

Howard grew up idolizing Garnett, doing everything from studying his game tapes to hanging a poster of the Minnesota Timberwolves star on the wall of his Atlanta home.

While the two talked cordially recently at the NBA All-Star Game, they have had their scrapes on the court. Garnett was whistled for a technical foul two years ago for shoving Howard when they wrestled for a rebound. And veteran referee Jess Kersey admonished them for wrestling and trash talking late in Sunday's game.

So maybe it was no surprise that Garnett was somewhat critical of the 21-year-old Howard, questioning his inability to add a mid-range jump shot and his propensity for turning the ball over.

Said Garnett of Howard: "Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects. We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. . . . There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard was admittedly stunned by the critique. Said Howard: "I'm just 21 years old and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now. The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (seven) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04050330/1002/SPORTS

I feel bad for Dwight. He gets doubled and tripled team out there. Let's also not forget how much he gets held and hacked. Brian Hill is really doing Dwight a disservice by continuing to run the same terrible offense that produces nothing but turnovers and bad shots.

I don't know why Garnett felt the need to speak out about Dwight like that. It seems kind of disrespectful to me. He should really be focused on how terrible his team is anyway. For a 21 year old to here his idol criticize him can't be easy.