Sign in to follow this  
Alska444

New Magic TV Show on Sun Sports after game tonight

New Magic television special premieres tonight (3/5) after the Wizards game. Here's Jerry Greene's review in today's Sentinel...

Orlando Magic fans learn 1 day makes a big difference

By Jerry Greene COMMENTARY FROM THE CHEAP SEATS March 5, 2008Jerry Greene review

Are you nosy?

Oh sure, the polite way to say it is that you are naturally curious, that you have an inquiring mind. But we know the truth -- nosy.

And the folks at Sun Sports understand that because they have a 30-minute show (23 minutes not counting commercial breaks) that gives you a quick and intriguing look at what they call INSIDE THE MAGIC: Gameday All Access.

It premieres at about 9:30 tonight following the Magic-Wizards game and is well worth hanging around.

IMO they could have made this a 60- or 90-minute show as they touch on the game-day preparations by Magic personnel, Sun Sports personnel and Amway Arena personnel. Each group provides enough interest to have had its own 30-minute show.

"Wish I could fall out of bed at noon and roll in around 5 p.m. for a game," said announcer David Steele, "but it doesn't work that way for anyone involved." For Steele, a home game work day begins at about 8:30 in the morning doing research and ends at about 10:30 that night when he gets home from the arena.

Speaking of time, the show borrows from 24's hourly format, starting with "The following events take place on . . ." Some of the things and people that get a glimpse:

*K-9 Bandit -- What I call the "bomb dog" that works with Sgt. Dan Schad of the Orlando Police. I'm intrigued by Bandit and may tell you more about him on another day.

*Joel Glass, Magic VP communications, who admits their "goal is to use the media to reach our fans." Hah! He wants to use us! I knew it.

*Chef Dan Maden, my arena hero. Two words: "Carving stations."

*Shelly Driggers, Magic assistant director of event presentations. Shelly has the official clock to start the game. I never knew that. Suppose she had to go to the restroom? Would the game not start?

*Dunkin' Dancers, who ought to appear at every NBA All-Star Game. Those girls are good -- and their practice sessions are scary.

The show is good. How about the Magic? Are we convinced they are good?

"This year you look forward to working every game," Steele said, sounding convinced. "It's not like 2004-2005 [36-45], the Lost Season."

Lost? Hopefully that's one show that nobody will use to talk about this Magic.