Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

To download, or not to download. That is the question! Time to discuss....

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Just go to project playlist and copy the link to the site that hosts the mp3. That what I do if I want just 1 song.

Never heard of it...

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by bballbabe:

quote:
a lot of artists will do it for the music, not so much the money. Some just do it for the money. If you are good, you will make the money, if you suck you won't

Not exactly. There a plenty of great bands and solo artists who don't make the money because they cannot get the exposure. The internet helps, but the money is made at shows, and if no one knows who you are, the less likely they are to come and see you.

The artists are not as ticked as the record company execs. Did you guys hear about Prince (artist formerly known as) and his last album. He found a way to totally get around those bozos. He did not use a distribution company. Instead, he gave his cd away. To everyone that came to see him on the promo tour, he gave them the album. Ha! He has been successful enough that he can foot the bill for pressing cd's, which is really not that expensive. THe fans were happy, and he got paid. Who got the shaft....another greedy distribution company and record label.....ha ha take that. I just wish other artists had the means to be so resourceful.

Considering it cost you around 10-12 bucks for a 100 pack of CD-R's, how much can it really cost for the record companies to manufacture a CD? I mean, most of them don't even bother to put artwork on the CD itself anymore.

It's all about money and it makes me sick to my stomach. I mean, I wouldn't give anything away for free at my place of business, but I certainly wouldn't jack up the price for a product I know isn't worth that much.

For CD replication runs of 1000 plus you would pay around 1.40-1.65 per CD including artwork on CD itself (limited in colors used) and a 4 page booklet and ofcourse the lil page on the back with whatever you want there (usually track list)

That's prices for the general public, small indie companies. The more you press, the less you pay.

From there, if let's say you are a band/artist and are doing the project yourself, you would have to try to send it to the right people on the right companies.

Sony actually gave a couple of years ago my record label (indie) boss a distribution deal that went this way.

Get me the copies, we will distribute them and you we get 4-5 buck from the top and you get 3-4 bucks ea CD.

If you follow thats 7-9 bucks already there. The actual stores will markup the rest. And this example is on a individual basis, not a big company pushing an 100,000 buck project, but you or an indie label doing this little thing with 500 bucks worth of equipment and a budget of 2000 bucks, 5 pound of coffee and 120 dougnuts (spell?)

Make you a real life example. Im a reggaeton artist w an indie company. We made a nice 20 some track compilation w artist from all over the states, Puerto Rico, South and Central America that were up and comming with some already knowned artist (well knowned on their countries lol). Ask me for a copy and i'll sell it to you (same $hit you buy in stores, not CDR's) for 5 bucks and i will make a lil bit more than 200 %, go to CD BABY dot com and you will find it there for 10 or 8 bucks depending when you go. Go to a brick and mortar store (ie. Tower, BBuy) and you will be able to order or buy it there for around 16-19 bucks.

My myspace profile has all my songs in there for play only. I have links and market all my songs for download on a different website called reverbnation that will give me stats of my stuff unlike myspace. Because of this, im able to do shows and i'm getting to do some big things (compare to 07) on this new year like im in PA and going to be doing a couple of shows on L.A., i was in L.A. this month for a big festival over there which was to raise toys for needy children. Yeah i wasn't really paid. But didn't had to go out of my pocket on anything. More exposure, more DEMOS in the hands of a different type of crowd, interviews in radio, tv and the connects to come back for payed gigs on 08...

Its a doggy dog world out there for indie artist and even the later part of the top 100 on any mayor genre.

My 2 cents