Sign in to follow this  
MagicManMatt13

All time worst move by the orlando magic

Oddly enough the magics biggest mistake wasnt the same as the biggest mistake in the history of sports period...even though they are related.

The biggest mistake is brian hill. He miscoached a supremely talented club and then chased away and dissolved that team...causing the biggest mistake in the history of sports...losing shaq.

Ghost would you like tim potvak's job? I have connections and it would be great seeing someone shed real pertinent and correct info on the club rather than hearing about what stool softener coach hill preferred. You should be given the magic purlitzer.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

OK, I'll play.

Top Ten Worst Mistakes

10. 18-Jan-90 Sign forward Terry Catledge to six-year contract.

[Got us capped out for years.]

9. 27-Jun-90 Select forward Dennis Scott, NBA hardship case from Georgia Tech, with the fourth overall pick in the 1990 NBA Draft. Magic also convey to Seattle, second-round picks in 1993 and 1995 in exchange for not selecting Scott with their pick.

[We gave Seattle 2 second round picks so they wouldn't pick Dennis Scott. They picked Gary Payton.]

8. 5-Aug-99 Obtain forward Pat Garrity, forward Danny Manning and two future first round draft selections from Phoenix in exchange for Anfernee Hardaway.

[could have had so much more, just getting Garrity makes it a mistake]

Gotta disagree with these 3.

10. Cat Man's contract was bad on the surface, but it didn't effect the franchise, and there was actually a reason Gabe gave players like Catledge, Reynolds, Kite, & Turner bad contracts.

At that time, there were salary "slots" if you were over the salary cap. So, if a player had a salary of 5M, you could sign a FA for 5M when his contract expired. Gabe intended to exploit this loophole in the collective bargaining agreement like no other GM had ever thought to and had several of these "bad" contracts staggered over 3-4 years intentionally so that the Magic could use them to essemble an insanely talented team.

9. 3D was a very talented player and one of the purest shooters to ever come out of college. Granted, his love of cheeseburgers and Napolean stunted his potential, but I'd have difficulty labeling the pick a mistake, especially if you researched the list of players drafted behind him.

8. This would be like Seattle fans saying it was a mistake to trade Rashard Lewis for a 2nd round pick. Penny was a FA committed to leaving. All this trade did was allow him to make more and Orlando to receive something.

Good info on the slots, I didn't remember that. It was, however, Pat Williams, the GM at the time of the signings you mention. Gabe gets the position in '96.

I wasn't trying to imply that picking Dennis Scott was a mistake. Giving Seattle two second round picks to convince them not to pick a hall of famer, is at the very least, comical.

I know the Penny one is weak, but I seem to recall rumoured trades that sounded better than what we got. Does anyone remember hearing about a young Steve Nash as one of the names mentioned earlier that year? It may have been just talk and back then I wasn't that impressed with him anyway. Shows how much I know.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Good info on the slots, I didn't remember that. It was, however, Pat Williams, the GM at the time of the signings you mention. Gabe gets the position in '96.

I wasn't trying to imply that picking Dennis Scott was a mistake. Giving Seattle two second round picks to convince them not to pick a hall of famer, is at the very least, comical.

I know the Penny one is weak, but I seem to recall rumoured trades that sounded better than what we got. Does anyone remember hearing about a young Steve Nash as one of the names mentioned earlier that year? It may have been just talk and back then I wasn't that impressed with him anyway. Shows how much I know.

Gabe took over in 93. Your point is valid, but Gabe was the resident capologist during the Pat Williams era and while he inherited the Catledge contract, he gave others like Turner, Kite, Reynolds, & Skiles. If I'm not mistaken, Otis' deal was a part of this grand plan as well.

I agree with you on the 3D deal with Seattle and remarked this past offseason how Riley scaring Otis out of a 2nd for SVG was very reminicient of that deal. But, when you consider all the 1st round picks and front court players this franchise has given away, getting bluffed out of 2 2nd rounders pales in comparision.

There were several rumored good trades for Penny, but once he decided he wanted to be in Pheonix, our hands were tied. We probably could have gotten more, but we didn't really want more, and I'm pretty sure a 1st round pick was involved in that deal as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

Let's not foreget signing Rashard for twice his value, not resigning Darko and then using Darko type money on Jameer.

I couldn't agree with you more. Signing Rashard and not resigning Darko were a couple of really bad moves.

Biggest bad moves have to be loosing Shaq and signing Grant Hill in the first place.