Sign in to follow this  
flakxd

Do we want the Lakers to make the playoffs this year?

I have tried searching and am unable to find this answer definitively anywhere.....

Are we rooting for the Lakers to make the playoffs (and get swept in the 1st round) in order to receive future draft picks from them? How exactly does this work? TIA

One future first-round pick from the Lakers

This pick is tied to the Lakers’ sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns for Steve Nash, and the Magic cannot receive the Lakers’ first-round pick until the Lakers satisfy their obligation to the Suns.

That said, the only way the Magic don’t get a protected pick from the Lakers for the 2017 draft is if the Lakers are terrible in 2012-13 and fail to make the playoffs. That’s not going to happen. :tongue:/>

But if the Lakers don’t make the playoffs until 2013-14, the Magic would get a Lakers’ protected first-round pick in 2018. If by some miracle the Lakers don’t make the playoffs in any of the next three seasons, the Magic would not get a first-round pick from the Lakers and instead would get the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2017 and the Lakers’ second-round pick in 2018 because of the CBA rule that prevents a team from trading a first-round pick seven years out.

Here are the protection terms:

• 2017 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a protected first-round pick in 2018.

• 2018 draft: The Magic will receive the pick if it falls from sixth overall to 30th overall. If the pick falls from first overall to fifth overall, L.A. will keep the pick and Orlando instead will receive a first-round pick in 2019.

• 2019 draft: Unprotected. The Magic will receive the pick no matter what it falls.

My link

Ok, thanks. So the sooner they make the playoffs, the sooner we get a 1st round pick from them. The pick will not be any higher than a #7 overall, and will be in 2017 at the earliest

Welp, let's go jazz....lock up that 8 seed!! I can wait until 2018

Ok, thanks. So the sooner they make the playoffs, the sooner we get a 1st round pick from them. The pick will not be any higher than a #7 overall, and will be in 2017 at the earliest

The 2017 draft is stacked though!!!

Another reason to root against the Lakers is they would lose their first round pick this draft (obviously it being a lottery pick). The Suns would get it (I think) from the Steve Nash trade. So anything that hurts the Lakers is fine with me.

But it looks like they'll make it with their win last night, now a full game over the jazz. The jazz have to win out if the Lakers keep winning.

I want them to make the playoffs simply because it would be much cooler to watch OKC-Lakers or Spurs-Lakers than OKC-Utah or Spurs-Utah

Who cares what's cool and not cool. Cool is hearing about the Lakers' demise 24x7 IMO.

May the better team win.

Agreed. Oh hell no Lakers! Go Jazz.

So much fallout from Kobe's achilles tear.

He's out for at least the foreseeable future. That makes Dwight's incentive to resign with the Lakers unlikely and a Lakers team with no Kobe/Dwight puts this draft pick in big time jeopardy.

We need them to make it this year.

Kobe may never play again and if Dwight leaves this is a lottery team the next two years. We could lose the 1st rounder altogether and end up with only a 2nd rounder.

We need them to make it this year.

Kobe may never play again and if Dwight leaves this is a lottery team the next two years. We could lose the 1st rounder altogether and end up with only a 2nd rounder.

That's not how it works. If they don't give us a first by a specific year we get two seconds as a penalty