Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

Arron Afflalo‏@arronafflalo4m

against all odds

Ah yes, another athlete's thoughtful contribution to the literary world.

I just listened to the latest Bill Simmons Report and he brought up something interesting. Since the Celtics want to rebuild and the Cavs want to make the playoffs, we could see a deal like: #19 and #31 for Paul Pierce. Then the Cavs would pick Oladipo with the #1 (who's a willing defender, something Waiters and Kyrie aren't) and that would be a pretty interesting core.

Varejao

Tristan

Pierce

Oladipo, Waiters as the 6th man

Kyrie

That could be a #7 seed in the East

Pierce is also a huge expiring which wouldn't hurt their hunt for LeBron

that's a silly trade for the Cavs, they have absolutely no reason to throw away their picks for a vet like Pierce. Pierce could be bought out for all we know. And in that scenario the Cavs aren't shedding any salary so adding or not adding Pierce doesn't change their salary cap situation.

edit: technically they would shed salaries of the #19 and #31 picks but c'mon that's peanuts and worth way more than PP.

that's a silly trade for the Cavs, they have absolutely no reason to throw away their picks for a vet like Pierce. Pierce could be bought out for all we know. And in that scenario the Cavs aren't shedding any salary so adding or not adding Pierce doesn't change their salary cap situation.

edit: technically they would shed salaries of the #19 and #31 picks but c'mon that's peanuts and worth way more than PP.

This is the NBA and there is always a stupid Otis Smith... I mean a stupid GM that will make that type of trade

If they want to win now do you think the #19 and #31 would be better?

They want to make the playoffs and this draft isn't that rich, to say the least

yes those picks will be a whole lot better than Paul Pierce on one leg.

This draft is not top heavy, that doesn't mean there aren't good players to be had outside the lottery. I think your expectation for the #19 and #31 are too high. Look at past drafts and see what players were drafted at that position. (from 2007) Javaris Crittenton, Carl Landry; JJ Hickson, Nikola Pekovic; jeff teague, jeff pendergraph; avery bradley, tibor pleib; Tobias Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic. None of those are superstar players (and a couple misses), but I see a lot of solid rotation players that are worth way, way more than 36 year old (by the start of next season) Paul Pierce.

But besides all that, I'm really curious as to why (or how) you think Paul Pierce will help the Cavs win. The Cs were barely .500 even with Rondo and of course much better than the Cavs.

yes those picks will be a whole lot better than Paul Pierce on one leg.

This draft is not top heavy, that doesn't mean there aren't good players to be had outside the lottery. I think your expectation for the #19 and #31 are too high. Look at past drafts and see what players were drafted at that position. (from 2007) Javaris Crittenton, Carl Landry; JJ Hickson, Nikola Pekovic; jeff teague, jeff pendergraph; avery bradley, tibor pleib; Tobias Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic. None of those are superstar players (and a couple misses), but I see a lot of solid rotation players that are worth way, way more than 36 year old (by the start of next season) Paul Pierce.

But besides all that, I'm really curious as to why (or how) you think Paul Pierce will help the Cavs win. The Cs were barely .500 even with Rondo and of course much better than the Cavs.

I think Pierce isn't as washed up as some people say. I'd say Pierce+Kyrie Irving+Dion Waiters+whoever they pick with the #1 is a better core than what Milwaukee had this year, for example.

Also, making the playoffs this year with Pierce could be a way to tell Lebron "hey, this team is not that bad, imagine what we could do with you at SF instead".

Oh, and the Cavs have discussed trading the NUMBER ONE for Luol Deng, I think #19 and #31 for Pierce would be a better deal.

It's just a rumor, and Bill Simmons and the other guy he was talking to said it makes a lot of sense. It all depends on how much you think Pierce has left in the tank

I think you are worrying to much about the Cavs wanting to win now.. They are building a strong core with Kyrie, Waiters, Thompsoin, and Porter or Oladipo.. There is no way they throw away 2 picks for a washed up player in Pierce. Don't get me wrong Pierce is good but no way is he worth 2 picks, thats theft in the first degree. Only otis would be dumb enough to make that deal.

If anything Dan Gilbert is trying to get the best team possible to have a chance at getting Lebron to come back and correct his wrongs. At this point the cavs could use those 2 picks to get a bench players and I could see them taking a Center because with Varejoa getting hurt all the time it would be smart to get some help there.

Anyways back to Our ORLANDO MAGIC does anyone think the reason Bledsoe is not being included in this Celtics trade is because Hennigan has already worked something out with Donald Sterling?? I could see Afflalo and Nicholson going and we would get back Caron Butler and Bledsoe. Both of those players only have 1 year left on their contracts and Butlers is at 8k while bledsoe is only aroun 2.5 2.8K. Butler could be a good option off the bench with bledsoe and they would have chemistry which can only strengthen our second rotations.

I think you are worrying to much about the Cavs wanting to win now.. They are building a strong core with Kyrie, Waiters, Thompsoin, and Porter or Oladipo.. There is no way they throw away 2 picks for a washed up player in Pierce. Don't get me wrong Pierce is good but no way is he worth 2 picks, thats theft in the first degree. Only otis would be dumb enough to make that deal.

If anything Dan Gilbert is trying to get the best team possible to have a chance at getting Lebron to come back and correct his wrongs. At this point the cavs could use those 2 picks to get a bench players and I could see them taking a Center because with Varejoa getting hurt all the time it would be smart to get some help there.

Anyways back to Our ORLANDO MAGIC does anyone think the reason Bledsoe is not being included in this Celtics trade is because Hennigan has already worked something out with Donald Sterling?? I could see Afflalo and Nicholson going and we would get back Caron Butler and Bledsoe. Both of those players only have 1 year left on their contracts and Butlers is at 8k while bledsoe is only aroun 2.5 2.8K. Butler could be a good option off the bench with bledsoe and they would have chemistry which can only strengthen our second rotations.

Everything I've read says that the Clippers and Magic have "mutual interest" in getting something done, so the fact that they remain steadfast in not including Bledsoe in any deal with the Celtics seems to point in that direction. Rumors of a Dwight sign and trade to the Clippers for Griffin and Bledsoe have been pretty much shot down, which also leads me to believe something could be in the works. Boy if we could add Bledsoe/McLemore/Adams or Bledsoe/Noel/KCP this would be an amazing off-season. Btw, reports are Cleveland is seriously considering Len with the first pick...crazy!

• Upvote 1

Everything I've read says that the Clippers and Magic have "mutual interest" in getting something done, so the fact that they remain steadfast in not including Bledsoe in any deal with the Celtics seems to point in that direction. Rumors of a Dwight sign and trade to the Clippers for Griffin and Bledsoe have been pretty much shot down, which also leads me to believe something could be in the works. Boy if we could add Bledsoe/McLemore/Adams or Bledsoe/Noel/KCP this would be an amazing off-season. Btw, reports are Cleveland is seriously considering Len with the first pick...crazy!

Crazy but it makes sense, Varejoa is always hurt and they might try and get Len then ship Varejoa off for more pieces.

Crazy but it makes sense, Varejoa is always hurt and they might try and get Len then ship Varejoa off for more pieces.

I hope they do. It will be very interesting/exciting to see what Henny does if both Noel and McLemore are on the board. I'm also coming around on Bennett as well...I'm beginning to think he might be the best player in the draft. To be continued in the giant draft thread...