Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

+/- Rule

I don't want to be an inconvenience but can someone please explain to me how Kyle O'Quinn got a -3 rating on the Gametime phone app.

If I'm not being clear enough, imagine the Magic scored 60 points while O'Quinn was on the floor and conceded 68, that would give him a -8.

It's not a big deal

it does show game impact. How things shift when your in the game. One thing to note, it does hurt if your on the court with bench players verses starters or when your in the game when the other teams impact players are there as well.

his +/- simply says that the Bobcats scored 3 more points than the ones they allowed while O'Quinn was on the floor.

Okay, thanks mate.

One scenario where I could see being useful is:

Imagine Player A is a starter for Team X. Player A goes down with injury, and Player B steps in. If you wanted a rough idea of the impact player B has (For better or worse) then looking at +/- could do that.

One scenario where I could see being useful is:

Imagine Player A is a starter for Team X. Player A goes down with injury, and Player B steps in. If you wanted a rough idea of the impact player B has (For better or worse) then looking at +/- could do that.

It wouldn't definitely tell you anything useful though. You'd still have to look at everything that contributed to it to get any kind of idea of what's going on.

It's possible that Team X is really good and Player B didn't really contribute much, but he ends up with a really good number anyway just by being on the court at the right times.

You really have to look at it on an individual basis, and dig deep, using it as an indicator, not an end all be all.

It can be useful though, especially in helping to demonstrate a players impact on the court that doesn't seem to show up in his numbers. Think about Redick for example, even on an off night he can still be an effective decoy. Not generating points himself, but helping to breakdown the defense and make things easier for others.

It can also help show the impact of a guy who has more of a defensive impact on the game.

However, looking at one individual game is not very useful without other information and patterns to go along with and support opinions.