Sign in to follow this  
Wyrm

Is Rashard going to be the next Grant Hill?

Its true that he got overpaid, but he will improve our team. we needed a go to guy, someone who will take the gamewinning shot, and he can do it. He will be 28 when the season starts and to me thats still in his prime. We cant really predict what is going to happen so lets just wait till the season starts and then we can judge.

People really seem to be focused on this defensive issue

Defense can be taught and it so happens we have a good defensive coach in Stan the man

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Defense can be taught and it so happens we have a good defensive coach in Stan the man

I agree that defense can be taught, but not at this stage. Besides, there are very few players that can commit to play excellent D and still be effective on the offense and Shard is not one of them.

OrlandoMagicFan. I do agree that Lewis is currently at his prime, but it will only be downhill from here, and we are paying him big money for more than year or two. That money could be more wisely spent. By the way, he is not a clutch not go-to guy. We could see that from the situation in Seattle where Shard was having allot of open shots because Ray attracted allot of attention. Also, you do not pay a player 15 milion per season and wander how is he gonna perform. For that kind of money you have to be sure.

All this said, I think that Sahrd is an excellent addition to Magic, but not at that price and not at the price of ruining Darko-Dwight combo.

quote:
Originally posted by Realist:

And having a comparison of Lewis and Hedo is just sick. Hedo was never the one to carry our team on his back, and he was not paid for that. But Lewis is paid to be a star, and you just cannot be that without a presence on the defensive end. And stating that we will not get much worse on D when Shard replaces Hedo is a poor comment as well. hedo was always known to be a terrible defender. If you are paying 15 mil per season to a player you are expecting improvements all over the stat sheet, and that includes D. Also, there are at least 10 better defensive team than us

This is a very weak argument. PimpinORL had a very good point. If Rashard is a weak defender, his impact on the team from a defensive standpoint will be menial considering he is replacing Hedo. Offensively, he is a much better player than Hedo. I don't understand your point about his pay. That he's paid to be a star has no bearing on the belief that Orlando will be a better at the SG position next year.

quote:

OrlandoMagicFan. I do agree that Lewis is currently at his prime, but it will only be downhill from here, and we are paying him big money for more than year or two. That money could be more wisely spent.

Realist,

The guy's 27. It's not downhill from here. I'll buy that argument at 30, and even at that age the decline should be gradual. 27 is a great age for a 5/6 year contract.

quote:

quote:

I agree that defense can be taught, but not at this stage. Besides, there are very few players that can commit to play excellent D and still be effective on the offense and Shard is not one of them.

OrlandoMagicFan. I do agree that Lewis is currently at his prime, but it will only be downhill from here, and we are paying him big money for more than year or two. That money could be more wisely spent. By the way, he is not a clutch not go-to guy. We could see that from the situation in Seattle where Shard was having allot of open shots because Ray attracted allot of attention. Also, you do not pay a player 15 milion per season and wander how is he gonna perform. For that kind of money you have to be sure.

All this said, I think that Sahrd is an excellent addition to Magic, but not at that price and not at the price of ruining Darko-Dwight combo.

Very true Shard has his goods and bads. He is a former all star who can play offense but struggles with defense we all know that. I think the reason he got overpaid is because he seemed to be the most sought out FA on the market, after VC stayed in New Jersey and we so desperatly needed a veteran who could give us some sort of leadership, and we can tell that Grant Hill was not the best one. Its true that he missed some open great looks in seattle but otis would prefer him more then anyone else in our team to take the shot, I think we all remember that jamer cant do it. Thats my opinion, on what he could bring.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:

OrlandoMagicFan. I do agree that Lewis is currently at his prime, but it will only be downhill from here, and we are paying him big money for more than year or two. That money could be more wisely spent.

Realist,

The guy's 27. It's not downhill from here. I'll buy that argument at 30, and even at that age the decline should be gradual. 27 is a great age for a 5/6 year contract.

My point was that comparing a defensive performance with a poor player like Hedo is not worth much. Also you are now looking a big picture either. First of all, I taught that we are bring (and paying big money) Lewis to significantly improve our chances, and I just do not see that. Like you said we are replacing Hedo with even worse defender. On top of that, we are loosing Darko because of him and thus significantly hurting our defense. Yes, Rashard is a very good player offensively, but not outstanding. So, bringing him to Orlando, we are much worse defensively worse and somewhat better offensively (and we are not sure how much either).

A far as age is concerned: yes, he is not old when you look at his age. But I think you are forgetting that he already has 10 seasons behind him. That puts allot of stress on your body. Rashard depends on his athleticism to score (yes his shoot is good, but not exceptional) and I do not think that he will be able to utilize that part of his repertoire for more than year or two and contribute as much as we are expecting from him.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

quote:
Originally posted by Wyrm:

Guys, guys... I wouldn't max my own mother if she were in her 10th season. That's all I'm saying. Shard might be playing well for a season or two, and that's it. And he's not even a dominant player.

Say what you want about Vinsanity, but he's dominant, and Shard's not.

And, while I'm there, Carters new contract? Bust for NJ. They're gone for next few years.

Your are absolutly out of your f-king mind. You just have to nitpick and find the most retarted reason to be negative dont you? Take your BS some where else kuz we dont need it

I second that. This may be the dumbest thread in history.

quote:
Originally posted by Wyrm:

quote:

Sometimes you have to spend money to get where you want

You cant be cheap if you want to win a championship

Yeah, and you spend it on a veteran SF, instead of waiting for a deep FA market next year while making sure you don't do anything in this year's deep draft.

I guess you don't understand that Dwights new contract kicks in nexy year so we won't have any money to sign anyone past this year. And ontop of that I think Rashard is a great player he averaged 22ppg and was the second option in seattle so there is no need to be so negative towards Rashard

quote:
Is Rashard going to be the next Grant

You guys would feel real sick if Rashard did get injured for four seasons and Darko became an All Star who carried some crapy team to the finals (conference or NBA, you decide).

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

quote:
Is Rashard going to be the next Grant

You guys would feel real sick if Rashard did get injured for four seasons and Darko became an All Star who carried some crapy team to the finals (conference or NBA, you decide).

Thats funny that you would say something like that MAGIC31. I like Darko a lot but there is no team in the league that is going to pay him 10 mil. a year. If he didnt want to take the deal the magic offered him thats his problem. I just hope he doesn't make the same mistake deshawn made and have to sign with a team for 1 mil. Also I understand he is 22 but Rashard is a great offensive player which we needed really bad last season and Darko def. didn't show up for half of the games. Like I said I would love to have him back but not for 10 mil and not being able to sign the best free agent out on the market.