Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Smack Confidential 2:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

By retaining his bird rights (there are 3 different types) but the one for darko gives us the RIGHT to immediately sign & trade him if he accepts another teams offer.

JJZ and Military do you here that???? WE WILL GET COMPENSATION. Now as it is mentioned there are 2 other teams that have cap room to offer Darko a contract, HOWEVER they can only sign him to a little over 10 million according to league rules, AND THEN WE CAN STILL OFFER A 12.5 Million contract (if we have the cap space?? even after reading and cross referencing the CBA i can not find that info)

On top of that if he seriously wiould rather leave then take the higher contract we can still get compensation because the bird rights allow us to immediattly sign and trade him to that team. By making him unrestricted all we lose is the ROFR option (right of first refusal option)

Man if anyone cant see that what Otis has done is the smartest thing possible then i dont know what to tell you.

WE KEEP or GET COMPENSATION for Darko anyway the deals go down...

His agent needs to read up on the CBA

And if anyone wants some of this i have read and re-read the entire CBA dealing with Free- Agents and Salary Cap issues, rookie scal contracts and PTO's, ETO's, DRAFT PICKS and a few other sections.

This doesn't sound right. Basically, you're saying we can renounce Darko but still keep rights to him that give us compensation no matter what kind of deal he signs with some other team?

I admit this "Bird Rights" thing is extremely confusing but what you say above doesn't seem to make much sense. Why doesn't every team simply renounce their restricted free agents if what you say is the case?

You and many other people on this forum may not like Cornstein, but I doubt that many of us understand the CBA better than a players agent who himself has millions on the line.

BOOOYAHH!!!! i just instantly and unequivocaly cleared up any question concerning compensation for darko....

What does Bhnole say...

"In Otis we trust"

OMFG THERE IS NO WAY WE WILL LOSE DARKO FOR NOTHING.

we still retain his bird rights except the right for first refusal. Either we will resign him or S&T him IF he accepts another teams offersheet.

i repeat there is NO WAY darkos going to just walk and we recieve nothing.

common guys this is buisness 101, stop crying

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

we still retain his bird rights except the right for first refusal. Either we will resign him or S&T him IF he accepts another teams offersheet.

There is one simple way.

He signs a contract with another team.

As long as we dont loose Darko for nothing. Im pretty happy now after reading nathan's little snippet. Cheers for that. Youve put my mind at ease.

quote:

Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

If teams could renounce their restricted free agents but keep the Bird rights, then this answer doesn't make sense, since all teams would do just that to avoid having a hold on their cap room. So something is wrong here. I'm not sold on this yet.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:

There is one simple way.

AAAAAHHHHHH EN FUEGO YOUR DRIVING ME NUTS!!! LOL

No Matter what even if he accepts another teams OFFER WE STILL Have his bird rights so we can then imeddiatly issue a sign & trade offer... here is tat answer for you

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because if they want to give him a new contract using Bird rights then they would have to waive him first, which resets the Bird clock

quote:

quote:

There is one simple way.

Pelase dont post o things you know nothing about..

darkos bird rights that we still retain ALLOWS us to INSTANTLY sign and trade darko if he accepts an offer sheet. No buisness man is going to simply choose NOT to gain any compensation for his asset

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is one simple way.

AAAAAHHHHHH EN FUEGO YOUR DRIVING ME NUTS!!! LOL

No Matter what even if he accepts another teams OFFER WE STILL Have his bird rights so we can then imeddiatly issue a sign & trade offer... here is tat answer for you

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because if they want to give him a new contract using Bird rights then they would have to waive him first, which resets the Bird clock

Haha @$$ you beat me too it. Good job bro

man i keep reading and re-reading the CBA and now i come acrross a staetment which conflicts with what was reported... I was going by the news when it said we still retain his qualyfying veteren bird rights.. and that is only applicable to player still on his rookie contract not a normal veteran player the was renounced.

JJZ on your question about why dont other teams do that is because the special clause where we retain those rights only occor on the a pplayer that is still on his rookie contract.

also a smart thing by othis is that because he is on a rookie scale contract darko's contract (after being renounced) only counts at 130% instead of 250%

quote:

also a smart thing by othis is that because he is on a rookie scale contract darko's contract (after being renounced) only counts at 130% instead of 250%

this is a little off topic i got to know...How many times you read the CBA today? rofl