Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

I think you might be overrating the attractiveness of our GM position.

eh, we're a franchise that will spend when it's worth it and have all of our future picks. We aren't stuck over the cap.

That's pretty attractive to a new GM. You gotta remember, job openings for GMs aren't going to be in good situations. Flexibility is worth a ton.

eh, we're a franchise that will spend when it's worth it and have all of our future picks. We aren't stuck over the cap.

That's pretty attractive to a new GM. You gotta remember, job openings for GMs aren't going to be in good situations. Flexibility is worth a ton.

I was referring more to autonomy. I think a lot of the recent bad moves are the result of upper management's desire to accelerate the rebuild to try and make the playoffs this year.

I was referring more to autonomy. I think a lot of the recent bad moves are the result of upper management's desire to accelerate the rebuild to try and make the playoffs this year.

I'm not sure. that's a factor but a lot of teams have that problem. Sacramento, Phoenix, Brooklyn, New Orleans, New York, etc.

So I don't think we're ever going to be a top 5 front office to work in but if you subtract the really bad situations and the really good situations that rarely become available we're somewhere in the middle.

Yeah. He traded prospects for picks. Then selected prospects. Then flipped those prospects for picks.

He dumped every average prospect he got from those picks for future picks.

Because he wanted to be the worst team. We didn't. He made 12 second round picks. Only 2 guys remained on Philly's roster when Hinkie was fired.

So i say again, would it make you happy if we dumped Zimmerman for two future seconds because that's what Philly did.

Also i believe we traded Layman for a second round pick that we then flipped for meeks

You missed the whole point by a mile. Hinkie did those trades and WON all of them. If we trade Zimmerman for future picks our GM would probably accept the harshest protections so we'd never even get them. Our GM is not shrewd enough to outsmart other teams or find inefficiencies to exploit. He thinks he had a playoff team by signing Biyombo and Augustin and Jeff Green for crying out loud. And he STILL likes those players. How stupid is that.

I mean it's pretty cool that Hinkie had the set up that he was able to field the worst team in nba history and dump every asset he had for future assets.

But he also pissed of the agents so much by doing so that the league intervened and installed a new regime. And he simultaneously tanked the value of two lotto picks that are now untradable.

But the question remains. Why should we want Hinkie and not one of the many other prospective gms that also have capable scouting and player evaluation?

Him pissing off agents. I would've loved that game during Dwightmare. Maybe he'd tell Feagan to take a hike. And this aspect is sooooo overrated. This is a billion dollar business there's no room for silly emotions.

We should want Hinkie because his recent experience and moves have given the Sixers a chance to build a contending team in just a few short years.

Him pissing off agents. I would've loved that game during Dwightmare. Maybe he'd tell Feagan to take a hike. And this aspect is sooooo overrated. This is a billion dollar business there's no room for silly emotions.

We should want Hinkie because his recent experience and moves have given the Sixers a chance to build a contending team in just a few short years.

It's not smart to piss off the gate keepers to the players. The main reason he was fired was because ownership felt he damaged their reputation to the point that no free agent would sign with them in the future.

So my point remains, if we know we want to tank and can make that decision as an organization why not just do that with a guy who has a better reputation and is better at scouting players?

It's not smart to piss off the gate keepers to the players. The main reason he was fired was because ownership felt he damaged their reputation to the point that no free agent would sign with them in the future.

So my point remains, if we know we want to tank and can make that decision as an organization why not just do that with a guy who has a better reputation and is better at scouting players?

The agent stuff is fluff as no named agent has explicitly come out and said so. Money talks and agents can be mad all they want. But if they care about getting the most money for their client then they will come to the table as no other league can provide the $$$ the NBA does, and if other teams are capped out then they have to consider the Sixers

Calculating, Cold, Ruthless, Rational, all emotional terms to describe Hinkie and the way he does business. We could use some of that here.

I don't see other candidates that are better than him available.

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin and superstar forward LeBron James have gone back and forth this month, making public comments about what the team’s roster does and doesn’t need. Most recently, James publicly called for the Cavs to add a “playmaker” to their roster, with Griffin responding by chiding the Finals MVP for his comments.

According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com, however, James’ frustration with the Cavaliers’ leadership group goes above Griffin. Windhorst reports that there is tension between James and Cavs ownership about the team’s payroll spending, with sources tell Windhorst that the relationship between LeBron and owner Dan Gilbert has been “strained” due to their different viewpoints on the issue of team salary.

When James was considering a return to Cleveland in 2014, the Cavs’ willingness to spend unconditionally on talent, regardless of the luxury-tax bill, was a major factor, according to Windhorst, who reports that LeBron signed on with the team after Gilbert agreed not to limit his spending. Since then, Cleveland has had a higher bill for team salary and the luxury tax than any other NBA team, but James has grown frustrated with what he perceives to be slowed spending this season, in the wake of the Cavs’ first title.

The Cavaliers allowed rotation players like Matthew Dellavedova and Timofey Mozgov to depart in free agency this past summer, but committed approximately $57MM to a long-term deal for J.R. Smith, not to mention signing James himself to a deal worth nearly $100MM over three years. More recently, the club managed to acquire Kyle Korver in a trade with the Hawks while simultaneously reducing team salary.

Not that we have a chance, but will LBJ be available this summer?

The agent stuff is fluff as no named agent has explicitly come out and said so. Money talks and agents can be mad all they want. But if they care about getting the most money for their client then they will come to the table as no other league can provide the $$$ the NBA does, and if other teams are capped out then they have to consider the Sixers

Calculating, Cold, Ruthless, Rational, all emotional terms to describe Hinkie and the way he does business. We could use some of that here.

I don't see other candidates that are better than him available.

You're basically making the point that we'd have to overpay for every free agent so that our offer trumps other situations.

there are a ton of other options

1. Mike Zarren.

2. Gersson Rosas

3. Travis Schlenk - he actually was a member of our front office in 97

4. Adam Simon

so basketball reference has a simulation for the rest of the season

out of 7500 simulations

38 times we make the playoffs

338 times we get really close to making the playoffs.

1,132 times we end up a lot like last season

15 times we end up with the worst record

2,535 times we end up with the second, third, or fourth worst record.

5th through 8th is whatever number remains.