Sign in to follow this  
nbr

Vet Value

I was watching the the Cavs game the other morning and a topic arose amongst their announcers concerning Jameer. It was largely discussed that we would be a team that would fare better by trading Jameer. Before I begin I am a bit of a fan boy! I like the guy and its with this reason that I'm probably leaping to his defence. However, I'm a Magic fan first and this opinion will be based on what I think is best for our team going forward and that is not trading guys like Jameer Nelson!

Simply, there is more value in retaining the services of Jameer than getting rid of him. The nucleus of our future is in our youth, but it needs to be nurtured by those who have been before them. Those who have dealt with and succeeded in the NBA environment both on and off the court. This will be key to fully extracting the potential of our youth and it will fast track the development of our young core. Jameer, Afflalo, Ronnie P, Maxiell, but not really Big Baby (hahaha) are worth there weight in gold and must be retained.

This is a team that is not on the brink of success. We are laying the foundations of a championship run. Rob and co. seem to have their wits about them, so I'm not overly concerned because I'm sure they get this. But for our fans who think the idea of trading Jameer (in this case) is one worth exploring, I think you need to re-evaluate his worth.

holladipo.

Simply, there is more value in retaining the services of Jameer than getting rid of him.

no, no there isn't.

Holding on to Jameer for the 8.6m we are paying him not only hurts us, but hurts him. Because his contract is essentially a two year deal, you have to assume that he will be traded or at the very least waived before next season (he will be nowhere near the 8m for next season). Although his best years are past him, he can still contribute on a contending team in a limited role which would, hypothetically, cost a team next to nothing halfway through the season. Not only that, but take a look at Oladipo, and think about why we are running him at PG (Jameer has never been an exceptional PG any way)! All signs point to Jameer's departure.

You are seriously overrating this "vet value" thing. Ironically, we have vet minimum contracts which should tell you all you need to know. There are plenty of vets out there, who "do things the right way" that can teach and bring along the younger players. In fact, Jason Collins is sitting at home right now waiting for a team to call him. IMO he's perfect for us, but we already have Maxiell and others. In short, the supply of good quality veterans outstrips the demand for them, so I don't see a justification to hold on to Jameer (or that he brings his salary to the table).

It's no question that Oladipo is the future at that position. The boy is an insane baller.

The reason this post came about, was due to a team I follow in my nations sport. They gutted the rosters experienced and cherished players and headed in a direction of youth. We had top draft picks etc. who's progress was stunned. The progression of the club over the last few years has been so underwhelming and doesn't appear to be moving anywhere fast. We had nobody to show these kids the way. We extracted the soul of the playing list, in favour of the kids. Captains etc were abolished.

I understand we aren't doing that here. We have leadership on this team and we have brought guys in, Maxiel I think is a great signing. So, taking in the points you've raised, maybe I've overvalued Jameer. However, I still would never undervalue the leadership and character of veterans to fast track and nurture the development of our young core.

I'm excited by the talent we have on this roster and I think the young guys and we as fans have an exciting future to look forward to. I just want a Championship!

Let's get a few things straight here.

First of all, there is a world of difference between vets like Jason Collins and Jameer Nelson. Jameer has been a leader on and off the court, and a major contributor to the success of this team. While, by all accounts, Collins has had a positive influence on young guys off the court, he hasn't been much of a factor on the floor throughout his career, not on the same level that Neslon has been. Not even close.

We've already had a lengthy discussion here about the value of leadership (and if it even exists), but the fact that the team kept Nelson around says quite a bit about the value that they place on him as a member of this team. As far as "hurting" the Magic by keeping him on, it's actually a great choice for both depending on what each party wants out of the relationship.

Obviously if Nelson wants a ring first and foremost, he's in the wrong position, but if that was the case, he could have become a FA and tried to get on with a team in the hunt. It sure seems to be like that isn't his main focus, and loyalty means more, being part of the building process, helping to guide the new players etc. all seem to be more important to him. That fit's perfectly with what we are trying to do, and his salary actually helps us.

We have to meet minimum salary cap requirements and Jameer goes a long way toward ensuring that we hit that point. His contract has a team option next year (according to Hoopshype, I thought it was the year after though), and we should be getting rid of other vets this season along the way (like Davis and Afflalo). We will also likely target a PG in the draft next season.

Contrary to his playing position this season, Oladipo is likely not our long term PG solution. It's an experiment this season. One that will help accelerate his game, build his skill set, and make him a more effective SG. We target a guy like Smart next draft and let him end up our starting PG with Nelson playing a reserve role.

That's what I would like to see long term. Keep him here as a role model/leader for the young guys, and let him finish his career in Orlando. Reward his loyalty with a little of our own (which is what this current contract should be about), and that also sends a positive sign to our new guys as well.

Eh, I've rambled a bit, haven't finished my coffee, but there you go. I see continued value in his presence now and in the future, and I hope it plays out just like that.

We had nobody to show these kids the way. We extracted the soul of the playing list, in favour of the kids. Captains etc were abolished.

I adopted a stray cat 6 years ago that is still a part of our family. For whatever reason, his family left him at an extremely young age and he was alone and set to die. Anyways, he does weird things like scratch the outside of the litter box instead of actually covering his business.

Poor guy never had any cats to show him how to be a cat. We wouldn't want this to happen to Oladipo or Harkless now would we?

• Upvote 1

To touch on Harkless. I wasn't a huge fan, but during the off season I downloaded a few games to watch him closely. Man, that guys ceiling is high! He could be anything.

"That's what I would like to see long term. Keep him here as a role model/leader for the young guys, and let him finish his career in Orlando. Reward his loyalty with a little of our own (which is what this current contract should be about), and that also sends a positive sign to our new guys as well."

: )

To touch on Harkless. I wasn't a huge fan, but during the off season I downloaded a few games to watch him closely. Man, that guys ceiling is high! He could be anything.

Who knows, maybe he'll have his jersey retired here someday! ;)