TheOrlandoTragic

Sources: Howard demands SVG to be fired

And just how is anyone supposed to feel that Dwight is going to do one thing or another after that stellar display of flip flopping he put out there this season?

They make sure Dwight gets some booty the night before he signs the contract......

That always puts me in a good mood for the next day..... which would explain my signing my life away for 6yrs in the USMC (but man she was hot)

How about the scenario where Dwight needs to play out his contract and resign with the Magic a la Wade next offseason - in order to be able to accept less money (especially on the first couple of years) and accomodate another near-max contract?

Wouldn't that mean firing Stan without a signed extension from Dwight? Yet wouldn't that be worth the drama?

The way his contract is, he can't extend while also adjusting his first year salary to 18mil/y or so - it'll be 20+ million to start with... So Alex should get it cleared out with Dwight, perhaps ink some MoU (is there such a thing in the sports world?) on the resigning commitment, and focus on clearing cap / new coach profiling / attracting FAs.

How about the scenario where Dwight needs to play out his contract and resign with the Magic a la Wade next offseason - in order to be able to accept less money (especially on the first couple of years) and accomodate another near-max contract?

Wouldn't that mean firing Stan without a signed extension from Dwight? Yet wouldn't that be worth the drama?

The way his contract is, he can't extend while also adjusting his first year salary to 18mil/y or so - it'll be 20+ million to start with... So Alex should get it cleared out with Dwight, perhaps ink some MoU (is there such a thing in the sports world?) on the resigning commitment, and focus on clearing cap / new coach profiling / attracting FAs.

That opens up a huge risk of Dwight simply changing his mind (but then, that would never happen, right?) and walking away leaving us without one of the best coaches in the league and without the leagues best big man.

Why wouldn't you simply say "Dwight, there isn't a coach of Stans caliber around at the moment, but if you are serious about signing here long term, we will spend all of next season looking for a replacement, if you spend all of next season fully committed to Stan's system. At the end of the season, if you still want him gone, he's gone, so long as you re-sign here with the Magic."

• Upvote 1

That opens up a huge risk of Dwight simply changing his mind (but then, that would never happen, right?) and walking away leaving us without one of the best coaches in the league and without the leagues best big man.

Why wouldn't you simply say "Dwight, there isn't a coach of Stans caliber around at the moment, but if you are serious about signing here long term, we will spend all of next season looking for a replacement, if you spend all of next season fully committed to Stan's system. At the end of the season, if you still want him gone, he's gone, so long as you re-sign here with the Magic."

There is no way we bring back both Dwight and SVG,their relationship is over,like YBR said Dwight doesn't like SVG,it's time to move on,either Dwight or SVG.I still think Management will trade Dwight this offseason if he doesn't sign the longterm ext. by training camp,no way they go through Dwightmare again.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7793756/orlando-magic-executive-says-dwight-howard-stan-van-gundy-co-exist

Orlando Magic senior vice president Pat Williams, who helped found the franchise in 1989, said Monday he would like to see star center Dwight Howard and coach Stan Van Gundy both remain with the franchise for a long time.

Williams said restoring the team's health and winning would do a lot to help the franchise move past recent turmoil, capped when Van Gundy last week said that Howard wanted him fired. The coach and the star later met with Magic general manager Otis Smith, agreeing to co-exist the rest of the season and put the team first....

..."I don't know that you can find a better NBA coach than Stan Van Gundy out there," Williams said.

The long-time NBA executive said Howard is the "centerpiece" of the Magic, and the franchise is trying to prove to him that a title can be won in Orlando.

Williams acknowledged some potential areas of improvement for both coach and player.

Williams said Van Gundy would admit that he can sometimes be too negative. And he said that while Howard has "grown up a lot" there is still room for maturation on his end.

"I think this shook them both up -- that's my opinion," Williams said of the incident last week. "I think they're going to be better for it."

There is no way we bring back both Dwight and SVG,their relationship is over,like YBR said Dwight doesn't like SVG,it's time to move on,either Dwight or SVG.I still think Management will trade Dwight this offseason if he doesn't sign the longterm ext. by training camp,no way they go through Dwightmare again.

I remember reading that he can't sign a long term extension this offseason, after waiving his ETO. He can't sign long term until the 2013 offseason.

All that is great,but Pat Williams doesn't run this franchise,Dwight doesn't want SVG to coach him anymore,it would be stupid for Orlando to bring back both Dwight and SVG,IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON.

I'd dare say Pat has a slightly more informed opinion on the subject matter than you.

• Upvote 1

I'd dare say Pat has a slightly more informed opinion on the subject matter than you.

:partypepsi: Ok we shall see this summer,If both come back then I will personally apologize to the all-knowing Pat Williams.

:partypepsi: Ok we shall see this summer,If both come back then I will personally apologize to the all-knowing Pat Williams.

:svgsad:

The point isn't to say we will or we won't, the point is to show that management would prefer to keep both, and still holds hope that it's possible. To further address your post, I believe the possibility of keeping both Stan and Dwight is greater than the possibility of trading Dwight this summer. Though, I happen to think the most likely scenario is that Stan is gone and we do anything we can to keep Dwight long term (like putting ourselves in position to acquire certain players next summer).

The assertion that there is "no way" that Stan and Dwight can co-exist is a bit short sighted for my tastes.

:svgsad:

The point isn't to say we will or we won't, the point is to show that management would prefer to keep both, and still holds hope that it's possible. To further address your post, I believe the possibility of keeping both Stan and Dwight is greater than the possibility of trading Dwight this summer. Though, I happen to think the most likely scenario is that Stan is gone and we do anything we can to keep Dwight long term (like putting ourselves in position to acquire certain players next summer).

The assertion that there is "no way" that Stan and Dwight can co-exist is a bit short sighted for my tastes.

Why would you want to bring back both SVG and Dwight,their relationship is damaged,they had a great 5yr run,but we need a coach who is a leader,if SVG was really a leader he wouldn't have aired the Magic dirty laundry to the public,This wouldn't even be a topic of convo if SVG hadn't gone public to the media.Not sticking up for Dwight either because he is wrong as well for holding the organization hostage all year.

Why would you want to bring back both SVG and Dwight,their relationship is damaged,they had a great 5yr run,but we need a coach who is a leader,if SVG was really a leader he wouldn't have aired the Magic dirty laundry to the public,This wouldn't even be a topic of convo if SVG hadn't gone public to the media.

According to your logic of making issues public, then you also don't consider Dwight a leader. Right right?

I think removing Stan to keep Dwight will be like stabbing an already open wound before suturing it up just for the suture to come undone anyways. I doubt that Dwight will be happy with his coach no matter who it is. I think he should shut up and play basketball. No need for the this and that crap. A championship will come his way here in Orlando if he stays.