Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Otis' latest interview

NOBODY was complaining about these moves when they happened.

The 2009 trades were great (and still are). We dumped a fringe starter and a headcase for a bonafide playmaker and a future starting PF. NJ ended up trading away Lee for scraps; alston quit on the team. Even though vince didn't work out, it was a great move and one i'd do every single time.

the 2010 trades were iffy, but still they made some sense: we got rid of Lewis allowing Anderson to take the starting job (addition by subtraction) and also got back Jrich who is now on a reasonable contract+Turk who DWIGHT WANTED BACK.

The trades just didn't work out; Nobody could predict the career-worst shooting slump Vince went through and all the struggles he would have.

And what are you talking about getting dwayne wade in 2010? That is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. Please explain this. Are you saying we could have traded Lewis for Wade? Or that we would somehow have cap space to sign him? Because neither of those scenarios would be true, and Hell would freeze over before Pat Riley would help an ex-coach and in-state rival.

Wrong, Alot of people complain about the trades that took place directly after our finals appearance. Hind Sight, we could of won and should of won but we missed our opportunities in key moments, free throws, missed shots, missed rotations, bad bounces of the ball.

Being that close, knowing that it was only a few possessions or free throws that could of turn the tide, you dont simply throw that team out the door. Hedo was a circumstance, because he wanted more money. But C.Lee fitted very well in our system, played outstanding defense against quicker players, and he was Dwights first rookie to take under his wing. And Otis, threw him away for an old VC that was suppose to provide some lift and a possible stretch PF in Ryan.

And everyone knew that VC, was not the same VC that made him a legend.... He was an Vet player playing on a sorry team that allowed him to keep his stats, because everyone else was ...dirt.

Maybe you missed that summer, but alot of people did not support that trade. Not even Dwight, he chalked it up as business but it went a little deeper.

The next round of trades where just horrible, You trade one max contract player who "HAS" taken us to the finals.... For another max contract player with more years and has never taken any team past 2nd round of the playoffs..... And then you amnesty that max contract player the following year???????

I dont mind bringing Turk back, but even that move makes us look retarded.... Becuase we essentially just told the world, we screwed up by not paying you what you wanted when you first asked for it.

Im not please with Otis's trend of decisions for the past 3 yrs.... they have all failed leading us to this point of uncertainty for our franchise.

Thanks Otis !

(iPhone)

what? everyone (the majority of fans) was riding high on that 9game win streak.

Alot of people were pretty vocal about how bad the trades were. Especially the Gilbert one.

I was pretty pissed at the PHX trade. We got raped in that deal: we ruined our depth, traded a way a great backup center, gave up a pick, cash....Oh ya, and we took a horrible contract off their hands in Turkoglu. And we didn't even get Steve Nash back. What the ****.

Otis Smith is a f****** moron.

what? everyone (the majority of fans) was riding high on that 9game win streak.

Yeah, no. There was a pretty solid contingent of people here who were pointing out how bad those trades were last season. We gave up all of our flexibility in the Phoenix/Washington trades and pretty much resigned ourselves to our fate at that point.

As for the Carter/Anderson trade, that wasn't a bad move. Carter was decent (overpaid, but a solid contributor) for the most part, and we also picked up Anderson, and all we sent out was Lee (I liked him, but Anderson in return helped), Alston (who didn't want to come off the bench behind Nelson and hasn't played in the NBA for almost two years) and Tony Battie.

Alot of people were pretty vocal about how bad the trades were. Especially the Gilbert one.

I was pretty pissed at the PHX trade. We got raped in that deal: we ruined our depth, traded a way a great backup center, gave up a pick, cash....Oh ya, and we took a horrible contract off their hands in Turkoglu. And we didn't even get Steve Nash back. What the ****.

Otis Smith is a f****** moron.

Dwight wanted Turk back; that's probably why the deal was made. I'd criticize Otis for giving in to Dwight's demands before criticizing him for the trade.

there you go overrating Gortat.

To our team, he was a GREAT backup center for when Dwight was in foul trouble or needed rest. Are you seriously telling me that Davis or RA or Orton are as good backups for when Dwight is out?

Look, I'm not saying Gortat would have netted us CP3 or anything. But he would have been solid addition to ANY trade, being that he's 1) a big and 2) trained behind the best center in the league for years. Obviously PHX is convinced of his abilities; he's starting there. So technically we gave PHX a starting calibur center. On other teams? Not sure.

and Dwight wanted Turk back; that's probably why the deal was made. I'd criticize Otis for giving in to Dwight's demands before criticizing him for the trade.

Doesn't mean Otis has to be an idiot about it. PHX wanted Turk gone. We could have used that leverage. We did THEM a favor by taking his terrible contract away. Otis had the upper hand here.

Ryan Anderson is a much more valuable player than Courtney Lee.

The Gilbert Arenas trade obviously didn't work out, but what else would we have done with rashard?

Rashard Lewis was horrible last year.

Everyone wanted Bass and Anderson to play.

The only possible way to get rid of him was to make the swap for Arenas.

If Arenas returned to 50 percent of his old self he would be better than Jameer.

I credit Otis for taking a chance.

He then admitted to his mistake by cutting him.

The Gilbert Arenas trade obviously didn't work out, but what else would we have done with rashard?

Rashard Lewis was horrible last year.

Everyone wanted Bass and Anderson to play.

The only possible way to get rid of him was to make the swap for Arenas.

Or, you know, benched Lewis (heck, could have just played him less if we wanted to still start him). That would have been much cheaper and better than bringing Arenas. Plus, at times he could have played the 3 if there was a mismatch.