Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Weakest Position on Team?

As of today, due to my creative powers over this thread, I've decided the weakest position on this team is a tie between PG and SF. Yes, we have depth at PG: Mighty Mouse and the artist formerly known as Agent Zero. However, opposing starting PGs average 43.5 points and 18 assists against us. Meanwhile, we have the gifted duo of Turkoglue and Turkoflu holding down the SF position, and we never quite know what they will produce.

I know you're joking, but it should be known the Magic give up the most points to SGs and SFs, but not just by raw numbers, but in relative terms to what the rest of the league gives up.

The stat I found the most glaring was that Orlando, for the entire year, has given up 20.1 pts on 45.3% shooting and 39.4% from 3 to the opposing team's SFs. It's 17th in the league, not too bad (except for the 3pt shooting given up)

Now, if you single out all of the games QBerto and Peaches may have started at SF by only gathering the stats for the month of January, you have Orlando giving up 23.1pts on 50.8% shooting and 39.5% from 3. That's 28th in the league overall, 29th in field goal percentage, and tied at 27th for points given up. They give up 23.1pts on 16.4 shots. ughhh

Compare that to the PG position, the Magic (since January) are 5th in the league giving up 17.4 pts on 34.2% shooting (best in the league) and 27.6% from 3 (5th best) with the overall 3rd best OPP EFF in the league.

The only thing I can really get from this is, adding on to my post in the first page in terms of differential, is that Orlando does fine with Arenas/Jameer producing their averages while they're severely outmatched at the SF position unless Hedo has a great game and outproduces the other team.

I do think I'm making it sound like Orlando is screwed or that we need a new SF, but I don't, I'm just answering the OP's question. No team in this league outproduces at every single position so it'd be silly to expect Orlando to be a top defensive team (in terms of OPP EFF) at every single position. . .

I know you're joking, but it should be known the Magic give up the most points to SGs and SFs, but not just by raw numbers, but in relative terms to what the rest of the league gives up.

The stat I found the most glaring was that Orlando, for the entire year, has given up 20.1 pts on 45.3% shooting and 39.4% from 3 to the opposing team's SFs. It's 17th in the league, not too bad (except for the 3pt shooting given up)

Now, if you single out all of the games QBerto and Peaches may have started at SF by only gathering the stats for the month of January, you have Orlando giving up 23.1pts on 50.8% shooting and 39.5% from 3. That's 28th in the league overall, 29th in field goal percentage, and tied at 27th for points given up. They give up 23.1pts on 16.4 shots. ughhh

Compare that to the PG position, the Magic (since January) are 5th in the league giving up 17.4 pts on 34.2% shooting (best in the league) and 27.6% from 3 (5th best) with the overall 3rd best OPP EFF in the league.

The only thing I can really get from this is, adding on to my post in the first page in terms of differential, is that Orlando does fine with Arenas/Jameer producing their averages while they're severely outmatched at the SF position unless Hedo has a great game and outproduces the other team.

I do think I'm making it sound like Orlando is screwed or that we need a new SF, but I don't, I'm just answering the OP's question. No team in this league outproduces at every single position so it'd be silly to expect Orlando to be a top defensive team (in terms of OPP EFF) at every single position. . .

Good stuff. Makes you go hmmm...