Sign in to follow this  
AMG16

Shirt Company

My wife is a amazing graphic designer and we came up with a few t shirt designs for the Magic and a few of the players. Now if we are making them to wear ourselves do i still need to get permission to use the players likeliness or do i only need to worry about that if we begin selling them for a profit? And if we do go about selling them who and how do i contact so we dont get sued in any way to get the permission? thanks for the help in advanced!

Technically yes, all offical Magic logos are trademarked and therefore you need permission to use them. That being said, I seriously doubt the league is going to take the time to prosecute you as long as you aren't selling them for a profit.

Technically yes, all offical Magic logos are trademarked and therefore you need permission to use them. That being said, I seriously doubt the league is going to take the time to prosecute you as long as you aren't selling them for a profit.

thanks for the response but i was talking more like using the players on the shirts , kinda like the ones they had selling in Orlando that said Matt banes will kill you with his face, don't you have to have permission to use there likeliness or something?

I'd like to believe the NBA doesn't own a players face as a part of their trademark.....no clue on that one but the Matt Barnes example is a good point.

Are you getting them printed some where or do you personally print shirts?

thanks for the response but i was talking more like using the players on the shirts , kinda like the ones they had selling in Orlando that said Matt banes will kill you with his face, don't you have to have permission to use there likeliness or something?

Girlfriend's brother looked into this last year. You can use player's face as long as its an interpretation and not a picture of their face. Also, don't use jersey numbers. Those contribute to a violation.

So you can make a cartoon of a player and have objects and lettering obscuring the jersey numbers.

Most of the time teams wont care unless its a large operation or contributing to a negative image of a player.

I'd like to believe the NBA doesn't own a players face as a part of their trademark.....no clue on that one but the Matt Barnes example is a good point.

Are you getting them printed some where or do you personally print shirts?

That is correct but the player himself i would say can sue you if they choose or may want a percentage if it became

something (which they deserve and i wouldn't min paying if i was gonna make that much) that we were making mone

y on since you are making money off Dwight or any other magic players likeliness. I will be having them printed somewhere