Sign in to follow this  
FlawlessVictory

Orlando Magic - Contenders or Pretenders?

we currently don't have the roster to accomplish that, therefore, we cannot compete for a title.

I'd love to see your reasoning behind this

I mean actually tell me what's stopping the Magic from beating Miami, don't throw out cliches and the godawful "I just know it" arguments that so many people around here believe to be an actual reason.

I agree with you. We are not going far this year. We just are not good enough defensively. I dont think Smith will sign us a big to help Dwight. I am not going to get into a debate about how good of a coach SVG may or may not be, but if the players are noy listening to him or he can't motative the players, that it does not matter. In the 2 years that I have followed the Magic, I though we would win a title, but this year I am not getting my hopes up.

We'll get a big, but it won't really matter. It only solves a very miniscule problem.

I would think we'd be contenders if we a had a shot at beating Boston/Miami, but like I said....we currently don't have the roster to accomplish that, therefore, we cannot compete for a title.

And yet you still didn't answer his question.

What is this based on, exactly? A hunch? The Magic's playoff loss to Boston last year was decided by 3 possessions, and while Boston got better, so did the Magic. . .

A game let alone an entire series is never decided by specific possessions. There was and is an entire game to be played.

Boston just lost to the wizards. THE WIZARDS.

Are they not contending anymore?

Hate to disappoint you, but we can't win every regular season game. Even against scrub teams. When you're a team like the Magic, scrub teams want to try to beat you. They play hard against you. Every. Single. Time.

Unfortunately, we don't play hard against every scrub team we face. It's part of just cruising during the season.

Look at CLE. They were the regular season champions two years in a row and never made it to the finals in any of those stints. Regular season means nothing except from what we learn from it and use in the playoffs. That's it.

Reading comprehension....try it.

• Downvote 2

These kinds of thread always pop up after a loss. I can set my watch by it.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see your reasoning behind this

I mean actually tell me what's stopping the Magic from beating Miami, don't throw out cliches and the godawful "I just know it" arguments that so many people around here believe to be an actual reason.

You watched the game today.....if Tracy freakin McGrady can get to the paint at will and light us up what do you think LeBrat and Wade are going to do to us??? Do you honestly feel comfortable with Bass defending Bosh on the block and THEN one of those guys cutting to the rim? Dwight will foul out in the 1st half.

As I said in my original post, we have NO wing defenders....at all! And do not put Q's name anywhere near this conversation. Also, as I said before....aside from Ryan's recent progressions we have NO ONE to defend the paint when Dwight goes out. This is obvious.

So now that there's been a decent amount of time for the new guys to have gotten acclimated to being in Orlando together, and given the way we've played over the last 8-9 games, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we're not winning a championship this year. Whether we add another big or not this team isn't equipped to beat the Heat, Celtics, Lakers or the Pistons (hehe). We have no wing defenders (+1 for Miami/Boston). Offensively, Ryan has been a huge lift and he's showing signs of being a pretty damn decent defender as well, but outside of Dwight we can't defend the paint for **** (+1 for Boston/Miami). We STILL don't have a player who can attack the basket, and even though we have lots of offensive options we STILL don't have a go to scorer outside of Dwight.

Anywho, looking a little ahead. Where do go from here? What moves do we make before the trade deadline and what do we do in the off-season? Yeah, there's a lot of basketball left to be played, but like I said....I'm going on the assumption that we don't win a chip this year.

Or do you really believe we ARE contenders right now? Why?

I'm not sure if you are trolling/baiting, or being dumb, or both.

Regardless, I think you should join a Miami Heat board or Celtics board. Maybe the fans their will show you how to "fan up."

You watched the game today.....if Tracy freakin McGrady can get to the paint at will and light us up what do you think LeBrat and Wade are going to do to us??? Do you honestly feel comfortable with Bass defending Bosh on the block and THEN one of those guys cutting to the rim? Dwight will foul out in the 1st half.

As I said in my original post, we have NO wing defenders....at all! And do not put Q's name anywhere near this conversation. Also, as I said before....aside from Ryan's recent progressions we have NO ONE to defend the paint when Dwight goes out. This is obvious.

And there you have it folks. A knee jerk reaction to a one game loss. It's a good thing the contending teams haven't lost to any teams they were supposed to beat.