Sign in to follow this  
Fabulouskilljoys

Q&A with Kevin Pelton of Orlando pinstriped post blog

here are some passages of the conversation:

ED: You also write that the Magic would be among the favorites to win a title this year were it not for the Miami Heat. Do you still feel that way? Which things have to go right for Orlando (or wrong for Miami) for the Magic to emerge as the favorites?

KP: Yeah … if I was doing championship power rankings, I would have the Heat first and the Magic second. I do feel like Orlando has closed the gap in my mind, so it may just be a matter of winning a hard-fought playoff series rather than something in particular having to go right or wrong … though Miami injuries and the Heat taking some time to coalesce certainly don't hurt.

ED: Because Carter's contract is not fully guaranteed, there's a good chance he won't be part of the Magic next season. But because of their high payroll, even letting him walk won't free up the cap space necessary to acquire a replacement, via either trade or free-agency. What are the Magic's options if they decide not to keep Carter as part of their core? Could they get decent value for him in a midseason trade?

KP: I think the best scenario would probably be looking to move him next summer, when he would essentially be an instant expiring contract for a team looking to shed payroll. If Orlando looked to deal Carter at the deadline, that would mean competing with guys who are expiring at season's end, and the market is likely to be flooded with such players. Unless the Magic gets someone who could be the missing piece for a championship this year, it probably makes sense to hold on to Carter.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/10/29/1781306/discussing-the-orlando-magic-with-kevin-pelton-of-basketball?ref=yahoo