Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

ESPN: NBA Power Rankings Oct. 25

We were in contention for a championship last year. We're probably better this year or at least the same. We're in contention this year.

I don't think we can discount the experience gained from getting killed by Boston. We were riding high and losing that series was a huge wakeup call. We aren't the same team so we can't expect the same results as last season. We can only expect to contend for a championship based on our talent level.

I agree with you in theory.

My main problem, if you guys couldn't already tell, is with VC. He has so much talent, but I feel he just gives up and disappears when it matters most. At that point, it's not about talent anymore.

We need him to play at a high level in order to win the championship this year. Will we get it? Thats what the season will show us.

We need him to play at a high level in order to win the championship this year. Will we get it? Thats what the season will show us.

no we don't. We need Carter or Jameer or Lewis to play at a high level to compliment Dwight in order to win the championship this year. I think Lew/Meer will be better so Carter's play should be superfluous. We just need someone to step up.

Nah, i'd rather think for myself than be a homer. The problem you guys have is that whenever someone is critical of the team, you automatically assume the person is being "negative". Quite frankly, its annoying and childish. This whole "im a better fan than you because i love all our flaws" is disheartening.

No, not really. We're critical of the team all the time and use actual points and logic to come up with the criticism, not the Ball Junkie-like "oh can we win with the midget?? i just don't see it. . . . do we need a trade to win? i think so !. . . " crap that raises absolutely no points and just causes arguments. It's a passive aggressive way to criticize the team without bringing up any points except for the sole fact that you want something changed but don't offer a solution or an alternative route.

You keep talking about Vince Carter but forget we got to the ECF without Carter really doing much and won two games with him not being there at all. We don't need Carter to win. As Lewis pointed out, it's about 2 of the 3 showing up (assuming Howard's consistently good) and sometimes just 1 of the 3 (Lewis, Nelson, Carter).

What's annoying and childish is to say, with a straight face, you don't think the team is any different (when it clearly is), and your biggest point to argue that was

We started off the preseason last year undefeated as well. It's all looking eerily similar to last year, which is why I am convinced the outcome will be the same --> Vince does good during the regular season, then disappears in the playoffs.

how you still went on to back that up is beyond me. I mean, you could even read some of the posts made by a lot of people on the board talking about how the Magic did NOT look good in the beginning of the season, regardless of the record they had. And the team didn't. Lewis was complaining about shots, Howard wasn't rebounding/blocking as well as he's able to, Carter was doing way too much ball handling, and Nelson had gone down. Matt Barnes couldn't hit a 3 to save his life and Pietrus made us all forget about his awesome performance against the Cavs really quickly. The team was NOTHING like it is now, and even if you made that claim solely on the record, you'd still be wrong because this year we have just outright dominated every single team.

If you're going to be negative, don't do it to stand out and "be different", do it with a damn purpose. The biggest issues the team faces right now comes from how well Miami gels at the end of the season and if Boston finds another fountain of youth. It's not unrealistic or "homer-like" to expect the Magic to get at least a #2 seed or even #1 seed depending on how long it takes Miami to figure it out. It's also not unrealistic to expect another trip to the ECF unless we happen to meet Miami/Boston at the 2nd round, but even then, assuming both teams are healthy, right now it's a toss up.

No one's saying the Magic are going to win it all for sure (well, asides from the BELIEVE crowd), and no one's saying we're for sure a ECF win away from winning it all. But to say we won't win it all solely because we still have Carter is Skip Bayless-like.

You keep saying to yourself you're not a homer in a crowd full of the same people. The real difference here is that a lot of us aren't claiming victory or defeat, mainly because the Magic haven't even played one game in the regular season and there's still A LOT to go this season before making such claims. You, on the other hand, are claiming defeat before the season even started. That's why you're getting blasted. Not because you have doubts (which many of us do), but because you're honestly saying the Magic aren't going anywhere before the season even started.

• Upvote 8

Here would be my power rankings.

1. Lakers

2. Celtics

3. Magic

4. Heat

5. Thunder

6. Mavericks

7. Bulls

8. Jazz

9. Bucks

10. Spurs