Sign in to follow this  
Penny Hardaway's Ghost

Magic to re-sign Jason Williams

Believe it or not there are players who are not great in practice that are great in the game. And yes it is the job of the coach to intuitively sense who is the best players for the game.

Coaches are supposed to "intuitively know" who is the best player for the game, yet you claim Anderson only got to start when Lewis went down because he can shoot the three.

These two points don't mesh with me, but what do I know, I never played pro sports, so apparently, I should just stop having an opinion and simply repeat what you tell me is right.

We're speaking under the assumption that players would eventually have to play yet with third string players there's no guarantee. One must consider health history of starters when judging their replacements. It isn't likely that Dwight will miss anything more than a handful of games the entire season so we can afford to stash Orton on the bench while he learns how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

With nelson, I'm sure most board members would be ecstatic if he plays 70 games this season. He's going to get injured eventually so we need capable backups. While no one can discount Williams performance as a starter this past season, his play following that stretch brings a lot of concern.

His play slowly got worse as the season went on. His benchmark really needs to be around 6ppg and 4apg to be a capable backup. He exceeded this mark for the first half of the season, but in february that dipped to 5.7ppg and 2.5 apg. Post february was just a travesty. Not only did Williams production drop further, his efficiency took a major hit too. 5.2 ppg and 3.5 apg on 39% shooting; 2.6 ppg 2.6 apg 38% shooting in April. In the playoffs he went 2.6 ppg 1.6 apg and 34% shooting.

The major issue here, is jason williams play the result of a long season's effect on his legs (a problem that he had to take a year off prior to his time with the magic to recover from)? Would keeping him as a third string player be enough to allow him to be healthy? If the year off from basketball only gave him three solid months of basketball how much health can he gain from four months off during the summer? What if he's required to essentially platoon with Duhon in the result of a Nelson injury? Is he capable of handling these minutes?

Too many questions for me to be comfortable with the signing.

How many minutes did AJ play? He only played 406 minutes during the ENTIRE season. In the 14 playoff games, he played 5 minutes in one game. Period. All I'm saying is we've got a 3rd stringer, who KNOWS the SVG system, is a good locker room influence (chemistry) and he flat out balled when Jameer went down. I agree that he wore down later on in the season, but 3rd stringers don't play 1700 minutes in a season like JWill did last year.

How many minutes did AJ play? He only played 406 minutes during the ENTIRE season. In the 14 playoff games, he played 5 minutes in one game. Period. All I'm saying is we've got a 3rd stringer, who KNOWS the SVG system, is a good locker room influence (chemistry) and he flat out balled when Jameer went down. I agree that he wore down later on in the season, but 3rd stringers don't play 1700 minutes in a season like JWill did last year.

what if nelson misses the playoffs? We can stay competitive with Duhon, but i'm not sure about jwill. Williams had to take an entire season off to recuperate and still had a poor end to last season. What if 2.6/1.6 is the best he's capable of now?

what if nelson misses the playoffs? We can stay competitive with Duhon, but i'm not sure about jwill. Williams had to take an entire season off to recuperate and still had a poor end to last season. What if 2.6/1.6 is the best he's capable of now?

OK, what if Nelson would have missed the playoffs this year? Would you feel better about AJ being a back up, or JWill? Be honest. We all loved AJ but there is a reason he only played in one game, and it was a blow out.

If a team loses a borderline allstar to injury, expecting the team to have comparable results with the second and third string is ridiculous.

If a team loses a borderline allstar to injury, expecting the team to have comparable results with the second and third string is ridiculous.

sorry i should have stated "i'm not sure about jwill having significant minutes as a backup" Show me where I said we'd have comparable results. I said we'd be competitive. without nelson we're still a top 4 team in the conference.

OK, what if Nelson would have missed the playoffs this year? Would you feel better about AJ being a back up, or JWill? Be honest. We all loved AJ but there is a reason he only played in one game, and it was a blow out.

see thats the thing. if you asked me this in february I'd say Jwill no question. In fact I'd be amazed at our ability to keep jwill at such a low salary. I'm just worried feb-june Jwill is the Jwill we're going to get forever and Jwill vs AJ is just two different ways to kill a season at this point.

Last year AJ played in 31 games and averaged 13 minutes a game. Jameer missed 17 games. Subtract those games from AJ's total and he was barely a player. JWill played all 82 games and yes, he was wore down at the end of the season. Lewis told us what his playoff stats were, but neglected to say what his regular season stats were. For a guy who laid out a year, he was impressive, and with limited minutes he will probably be the best 3rd string PG that ever played on this team. I can't believe that this is even being argued about. I'm just glad that Stan and Otis don't pay any attention to this board.

Last year AJ played in 31 games and averaged 13 minutes a game. Jameer missed 17 games. Subtract those games from AJ's total and he was barely a player. JWill played all 82 games and yes, he was wore down at the end of the season. Lewis told us what his playoff stats were, but neglected to say what his regular season stats were. For a guy who laid out a year, he was impressive, and with limited minutes he will probably be the best 3rd string PG that ever played on this team. I can't believe that this is even being argued about. I'm just glad that Stan and Otis don't pay any attention to this board.

" Lewis told us what his playoff stats were, but neglected to say what his regular season stats were"

uhh back two pages

xkww0p.jpg

he was impressive in november and december. he was alright in january. then it all went downhill from there. How is it dumb to be concerned that a player who recently took a year off to recover from degenerative injuries might have regressed to the point that he can no longer play decent basketball?