Sign in to follow this  
TreyTime

The General Discussion Thread

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Boston we should beat... why exactly?

also keep in mind i'm talking about a playoff series; not the regular season. while they lost Tom T, it remains to be seen if Howard will be effective against Perkins and if Carter is... dammit I don't even want to mention his name.

we have a chance of course but I don't understand where the confidence comes from. the only moves we made was a back-up and Q-Rich. i guess if we play rashard more at the 3 sure thing maybe.

yep your right I shouldn't have discounted Boston - after all they did slap us around pretty handily. Though age is a factor and loss of Sheed and T Thbdo but Oneal is no slouch and I thought age was gonna be a factor in post season for them last year and it was experience and mental toughness that won.

One of their biggest losses is Tony Allen, he defended all the great wings on the other teams that allen or pierce couldn't stay with.. He also carter fits.

quote:
Originally posted by REALUP'S:

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Boston we should beat... why exactly?

also keep in mind i'm talking about a playoff series; not the regular season. while they lost Tom T, it remains to be seen if Howard will be effective against Perkins and if Carter is... dammit I don't even want to mention his name.

we have a chance of course but I don't understand where the confidence comes from. the only moves we made was a back-up and Q-Rich. i guess if we play rashard more at the 3 sure thing maybe.

yep your right I shouldn't have discounted Boston - after all they did slap us around pretty handily. Though age is a factor and loss of Sheed and T Thbdo but Oneal is no slouch and I thought age was gonna be a factor in post season for them last year and it was experience and mental toughness that won.

One of their biggest losses is Tony Allen, he defended all the great wings on the other teams that allen or pierce couldn't stay with.. He also gave carter fits.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

Because while our main core should be getting better/have more chemistry/is at their peak, Boston's big 3 is getting older, they haven't made any moves to help them save some legs during the regular season, and they lost their defensive coach. Sure, Rondo will definitely still be Rondo, but Dwight will still be Dwight, and Rondo doesn't seem to do very well offensively against Dwight.

The team is capable of winning without Carter being a factor, so there's always the "there's no way he'll play worse" hope...

Although I agree with everything you pretty much said on this page, I still think fans including myself are worried that we're not physical enough inside. Howard is obviously a physical speciman but we're lacking some toughness inside to compete with the Lakers and Celtics come playoff time. You make great points about how we spilt with the Lakers and had a winning record against the Celtics in the regular seasons but that doesn't mean crap when he hit the postseason.

Shard is a good scorer and great PF during the regular season but just doesn't have the physicality to compete with physical players 5-7 feet within the basketball because he gets pushed around and doesn't get into good enough position to grab the rebound.

Bass is the total opposite of Shard. He's very physical and brings alot of intensity but he's doesn't have the scoring ability to take pressure off of Howard when he's struggling offensively. Sure Bass has a pretty good 10ft jumper but hasn't shown that he can hit it on a regular basis. He's a decent rebounder but his height gives him problems when he plays against taller players like Garnett, Bosh, and Gasol.

What we need is more balance at the 4 spot and I truly believe Ryan Anderson is the X-Factor. It's looking more and more like we're not going to be making any moves to acquire a PF so I'm hoping that Anderson is in the weight room more this offseason. He definitely has the stroke to hit it from anywhere on the floor and create spacing for Howard to do his thing inside. Ryan also has the height and the body to add maybe 10-12 lbs to be more of a force to help inside defensively and to help grab rebounds.

Scola, Aldridge, and Murphy would be ideal candidates to bring IMO to play the 4 spot but I doubt their teams would be willing to let them. Murphy would probably be the easier one to get but he has a problem staying healthy at times.

BMP I'm not disagreeing with you that Lewis isn't capable of playing PF but I think he'd be much better suited losing about 5-10 and get back to his old playing weight. Getting back to 220 lbs would give him a more quickness to play better defense against the other SF's in the league.

This is just my opinion on this suject.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfanejc42:

What about if we lose JJ, do you think Otis goes for Josh Howard? He'd be cheap.

If we lose J.J. I hope we go after Ronnie Brewer instead. He could probably be had for about 4 million cheaper. Although I really do hope we Redick back.

quote:
Originally posted by WestCoastMagicFan:

Although I agree with everything you pretty much said on this page, I still think fans including myself are worried that we're not physical enough inside. Howard is obviously a physical speciman but we're lacking some toughness inside to compete with the Lakers and Celtics come playoff time. You make great points about how we spilt with the Lakers and had a winning record against the Celtics in the regular seasons but that doesn't mean crap when he hit the postseason.

Shard is a good scorer and great PF during the regular season but just doesn't have the physicality to compete with physical players 5-7 feet within the basketball because he gets pushed around and doesn't get into good enough position to grab the rebound.

Bass is the total opposite of Shard. He's very physical and brings alot of intensity but he's doesn't have the scoring ability to take pressure off of Howard when he's struggling offensively. Sure Bass has a pretty good 10ft jumper but hasn't shown that he can hit it on a regular basis. He's a decent rebounder but his height gives him problems when he plays against taller players like Garnett, Bosh, and Gasol.

What we need is more balance at the 4 spot and I truly believe Ryan Anderson is the X-Factor. It's looking more and more like we're not going to be making any moves to acquire a PF so I'm hoping that Anderson is in the weight room more this offseason. He definitely has the stroke to hit it from anywhere on the floor and create spacing for Howard to do his thing inside. Ryan also has the height and the body to add maybe 10-12 lbs to be more of a force to help inside defensively and to help grab rebounds.

Scola, Aldridge, and Murphy would be ideal candidates to bring IMO to play the 4 spot but I doubt their teams would be willing to let them. Murphy would probably be the easier one to get but he has a problem staying healthy at times.

BMP I'm not disagreeing with you that Lewis isn't capable of playing PF but I think he'd be much better suited losing about 5-10 and get back to his old playing weight. Getting back to 220 lbs would give him a more quickness to play better defense against the other SF's in the league.

You see, but Shard never got "pushed around" as so many people get the idea that he did. We didn't get beat badly on the boards, KG/Wallace never really went off (Lewis actually kept KG to one of his lowest shooting percentages of his career). When it came down to it, we got no production offensively out of Shard, Wincent, Barnes, and most of our bench.

The problem with Anderson gaining more pounds would be that he would get killed by quicker PFs. He's also slow as it is, so that could only be bad.

We're fine with rebounding (1st in the league in defensive rebounds), we're just still looking for that guy to be able to create his own shot. Meer can do it every once in awhile, but we can't expect him to be our primary scorer and play maker (he's no Wade/LeBron), and while moving Shard to the SF would be a novel idea, it wouldn't be good to the team unless we were able to get a PF that could defend.

Hopefully Bass can learn the system and really get accustomed to it. Maybe he won't look so lost out there and be able to get extended minutes at PF, allowing Lewis to play some minutes at SF.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:

You see, but Shard never got "pushed around" as so many people get the idea that he did. We didn't get beat badly on the boards, KG/Wallace never really went off (Lewis actually kept KG to one of his lowest shooting percentages of his career). When it came down to it, we got no production offensively out of Shard, Wincent, Barnes, and most of our bench.

The problem with Anderson gaining more pounds would be that he would get killed by quicker PFs. He's also slow as it is, so that could only be bad.

We're fine with rebounding (1st in the league in defensive rebounds), we're just still looking for that guy to be able to create his own shot. Meer can do it every once in awhile, but we can't expect him to be our primary scorer and play maker (he's no Wade/LeBron), and while moving Shard to the SF would be a novel idea, it wouldn't be good to the team unless we were able to get a PF that could defend.

Hopefully Bass can learn the system and really get accustomed to it. Maybe he won't look so lost out there and be able to get extended minutes at PF, allowing Lewis to play some minutes at SF.

I have no problem with Shard and the way he plays defense at the 4 because I also agree that he did a good job on KG. I honestly think we're only 1st in the league in defensive rebounding because of Dwight. I just want us to look at getting a true PF who plays closer to the basket instead of camping out at the 3 point line most of the game. The only problem with Shard is that he continues to shoot 3's even though he isn't hitting anything from there and it's probably not even his fault because of our game plan.

If we're going to keep that offensive philosophy fine but have your PF play closer to the basket when he's not hitting the outside jumper so he can help Dwight with the offensive rebounding. There's been games when none of our outside shots are falling and Dwight is the only player on our team in there trying to get us 2nd chance shots. That's not going to get it done when we're in the playoffs and we're getting blown out because we cant grab an offensive rebound to save our life. Shard does a good job of getting to the basket and shooting mid-range jumpers and I wish he'd do that more instead of just settling for the 3 ball all the time ESPECIALLY when his shots aren't falling.

quote:

quote:

What about if we lose JJ, do you think Otis goes for Josh Howard? He'd be cheap.

If we lose J.J. I hope we go after Ronnie Brewer instead. He could probably be had for about 4 million cheaper. Although I really do hope we Redick back.

Where's this money coming from?

If we match Redick offer sheet and Shard plays most of his minutes at SF, who's gonna get traded. We'd have a maybe logjam at the 2 spot with Vince, Pietrus, and Redick.

Our team wouldn't look to bad if Otis kept it the way it is though:

C: Dwight Howard/Marcin Gortat/Daniel Orton ®

PF: Ryan Anderson/Brandon Bass

SF: Rashard Lewis/Quentin Richardson (FA)/Stanley Robinson ®

SG: Vince Carter/Mickael Pietrus/J.J. Redick

PG: Jameer Nelson/Chris Duhon(FA)/Shaun Livingston (hopefully)

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Stickle:

quote:

quote:

Where's this money coming from?

Redick's contract is front loaded so he's going to make 7.5 million in his first year in this deal. I think Ronnie Brewer can be had for less than 4 million.