Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Part 1 of an Offseason Series: Who should we get- Rudy Gay

Great write up, I'm fully on board with your logic here. From Memphis's POV I'm not seeing a straight S&T involving Vince getting this done. It would require something more creative and I'm not equipped to say what that would be. The team's assets are many, comprised of the Carter pseudo-expiring, the front court depth, the 29th pick, and the TPE. Does any combination of that make sense for Memphis?

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

Reports out of Memphis is they dont want to pay him. He's a free agent this year and the team would rather build its offense around OJ Mayo.

quote:
"Rudy is going to be out there. But here's the No. 1 thing: The option on what we pay him is mine," Heisley said. "So when I say we're going to have Rudy next year, that's a pretty good indication that we're going to have him."

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Reports out of Memphis is they dont want to pay him. He's a free agent this year and the team would rather build its offense around OJ Mayo.

quote:
"Rudy is going to be out there. But here's the No. 1 thing: The option on what we pay him is mine," Heisley said. "So when I say we're going to have Rudy next year, that's a pretty good indication that we're going to have him."

Thats just posturing. I read that report.

They're looking for a sign and trade, they just want to say "Hey if you don't up your offer, we'll just keep him."

I seriously doubt anyone would take Vince back in a sign and trade for one of the big free agents. Even though he's expiring, the other team has their own free agents expiring. If they want to decrease payroll and cut spending, why don't they just let their free agents walk rather than spend the money on Vince? If their goal is to make a run at Melo next year, they still can save money this upcoming season without paying Carter 17 million and letting their free agent walk, and still have cap space. I think we are stuck with him unless he is part of a massive package where we get a good-to-great player as well as have to take back a couple players with terrible contracts.

If we are going to get these guys, we are going to have to give up value to get a guy of the Amare, Boozer, Johnson, Gay class. Since JJ is restricted, and will likely end up being a BYC player with his raise if we match, he is likely not an asset we can use. So that leaves Gortat, Bass, and Pietrus as pretty much the only guys we can really trade.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're looking for a sign and trade, they just want to say "Hey if you don't up your offer, we'll just keep him."

Beyond all the rampant speculation on your part, your entire premise is flawed. The Griz have offered Mayo in numerous trades because he's a liability as an undersized SG & their current coach doesn't believe he can play point.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I definitely don't think they're looking to build the team around Mayo, since they almost send him and Thabeet to the Warriors for Ellis, but the Warriors decline their offer. And, now they're are report out about Ellis buying a house in Memphis. So I think the Warriors and Grizzles could revisit talks over the summer.

As far as Gay goes, I think the Grizzles are going to do everything in their power to try in keep Gay. He's a borderline all star that they watched develop over the years. I believe they'll match any offer that is under $14 million per year.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Beyond all the rampant speculation on your part, your entire premise is flawed. The Griz have offered Mayo in numerous trades because he's a liability as an undersized SG & their current coach doesn't believe he can play point.

There are already reports that Memphis has contacted the league to clarify whether teams could discuss S&T before July 1st.

granted, my info for their liking of Mayo>Gay is from last summer.

either way, the Griz are notorious for valuing contracts over talent. They are open to trading two of their picks if it helps in landing an impact player. If we could trade Vince for Gay it would make sense in their general history.

Gay is a very good player and I'd be pleased to have him. Rudy needs to start playing D though. If there is anyone that can bring it out of him it would be Stan.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are already reports that Memphis has contacted the league to clarify whether teams could discuss S&T before July 1st.

granted, my info for their liking of Mayo>Gay is from last summer.

either way, the Griz are notorious for valuing contracts over talent. They are open to trading two of their picks if it helps in landing an impact player. If we could trade Vince for Gay it would make sense in their general history.

What make you think that they'd take Vince Carter in a S&T for Gay? I don't see why they'd want to take on Carter contract, when they could just let Gay walk for free and make a run at Melo or whoever in 2011.

Maybe V.C.'s name can bring in that extra revenue for the Grizz? Whatever people think about his game he is still very popular. This league is about revenue and he brings that.

They can let him walk but why? They have a fairly talented team so why throw a season away? While waiting on a chance at Melo they can start Mayo, Brewer, Carter, Zach and Gasol with Conley, Babbit, Thabeet and Bass/Anderson off the bench.

Carter, Bass/Anderson and 1st rounder for Gay, Jaric

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I definitely don't think they're looking to build the team around Mayo, since they almost send him and Thabeet to the Warriors for Ellis, but the Warriors decline their offer. And, now they're are report out about Ellis buying a house in Memphis. So I think the Warriors and Grizzles could revisit talks over the summer.

As far as Gay goes, I think the Grizzles are going to do everything in their power to try in keep Gay. He's a borderline all star that they watched develop over the years. I believe they'll match any offer that is under $14 million per year.

Ellis is basically from Memphis (North Miss) & has lived there in the offseason since his rookie year. His girl is also from there and his family "packs" the Fed Ex forum every time he's in town.

He may very well end up in Memphis, but I wouldn't read too much into that alone.